Omega Version 1 Megathread - IDEAS NEEDED

• The Garnut

Hello NutGamers, being that Taiga has to be recreated to accommodate our servers' functions, the easiest map to switch onto in order to "switch things up" is Omega, however, Omega was released in beta and requires many changes. I had waited on Salmon and Fonza (by the way, thank you very much guys) to make me a document regarding the changes necessary to switch back to Omega, however, the document in its current state is entirely made up of well-known headglitching spots versus gameplay work-flow edits, as such, I figured I would save myself and them the headache and create a thread for this upcoming change that way we are all able to work peer-to-peer without the need for a middleman/manager. - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q4v_d44WenCkmDGBywLCrMT-lhI587SsxDhRm58PKNQ/edit

Please post away your ideas for Omega, whether it be outright removing and replacing certain objectives with different concepts, the removal of arches and proposed changes for what is to be in place of arches, opening up certain buildings for foot accessibility. The possibilities are endless.

I will implement ideas that got an overwhelming amount of "agree" reacts, and removed those that were overwhelmingly disagreed with.

Thank you very much!

• Like 3
  • Community Director

I think the key thing that everyone complained about was the walls. I think the walls and arches are a great idea on your part, they provide a great, clear, inarguable boundary. Only thing I would change is add several person sized holes in said walls that can be destroyed; similar to embassy on the current map, but much smaller. 

This would allow people to sneak through avoiding the arches and avoid the issue of "over-archcamping". The holes don't need to be straight/level with the ground, a crouch jump up to get through; or crouch down to get through, etc. I think this small QOL change would alleviate some of the major dynamic issues of the map.

Edited by AlexConway
  • Agree 8
  • The Garnut
1 minute ago, AlexConway said:

I think the key thing that everyone complained about was the walls. I think the walls and arches are a great idea on your part, they provide a great, clear, inarguable boundary. Only thing I would change is add several person sized holes in said walls that can be destroyed; similar to embassy on the current map, but much smaller. 

This would allow people to sneak through avoiding the arches and avoid the issue of "over-archcamping". The walls don't need to be straight and level with the ground, a crouch jump up to get through; or crouch down to get through, etc. I think this small QOL change would alleviate some of the major dynamic issues of the map.

I most definitely can add openings to the wall, but I have heard people echo they want them removed all together, and the fog distance being lowered. I guess I'll wait and see where the responses go 😮 

• Like 2
  • Community Director

(I don't know if you want each idea separate, no warn pls) 

I really love the base layout from this current map as opposed to the ones on Omega. SOC on both sides absolutely love having their own bunks, (that are fully their own - not just a singular room in a building). Additionally, the recruit rooms as opposed to a cage is also great for training from Tali and 11Bs stand point.

There's a few options for the SOC Bunks: you could just redo the base and make it similar to the current map. Copy the current bases. Or you could remove the airfield, add some helipads and add SOC bunks in it's place. I'm sure either way you do it would allow SOC to continue to have spaces of their own. 

Edited by AlexConway
  • Agree 3
  • StarWarsRP Administration Team
52 minutes ago, Nutter said:

they want them removed all together

unknown.png

Seems the overall opinion is to have them removed. This was asked in the MilitaryRP server for people to react to. Main reason for this votes result, in my opinion, was pushing out of the arches was particularly difficult as often it was quite some distance to any cover, and all 3 arches were campable with no real effort. People then want them removed so they're not restricted to going into war through 3 obvious points, campable, points with little cover.

If the wall was to be removed entirely, perhaps a row of buildings or something to replace them, with gaps between almost every building and possibly some that you could walk through/go to an upstairs window. I feel like a higher vantage point where the walls are could aid the 'archcamped' side countersnipe the campers.

Also another main complaint I'd heard was basically all of the Construction objective. It was way too many dark, headglitchable, floors and being there was a major advantage on any Mosque-only war. Someone suggested replacing it with Air Strip, but I also feel this Objective could be a possible replacement too.

unknown.png

• Like 1

I had the idea of switching the power plant and cons objs with each other, lower cons a bit, brighten it a little, and add a few billboards on the wall so shipment couldn't be sniped at. Don't know if it's a doable or wanted change but it's an idea.

On top of that idea or it's own, power plant wasn't a favorable objective. I think players would like changing it out with another obj from another map. Perhaps embassy from Echo or a shrunken Town from Chaharikar. If not a previous obj, a new one could be made

Edited by Salmon

If shipment is still there, maybe add more hard cover inside and open it up a little bit in the main section. I do agree with Salmons idea, but instead of EMB from Echo, what if it was Company? (Theos has the screenshot in an above post)

1 hour ago, Theos said:

unknown.png

12 minutes ago, zoahl said:

If Arches are still gonna be a thing, you need to raise them accordingly to a height where people cant hop on a car and sit glitch onto the arches.

Oh yea apparently someone, I think Shibes, figured out how to get on top and abuse it

I'd like to put my opinion out there really quickly. Most people are suggesting huge map altering changes, i.e. replacing objectives, I just don't think this is necessary. Only objective I think needs tinkering/replacing is Cons, other than that maybe add a few holes in the wall like Conway suggested. The core gameplay of each objective (other than cons) was a fun experience (at least for me), I see no reason to change it. Power Plant was a change of pace, some fun sniping battles as well as  CQC areas. Shipment was always some good CQC considering how fun the boxes and atmosphere inside of Shipment was to jump around and fight at. Mosque was a linear objective that you push in, or flank around into, providing some fun feeds at times as well as some fun last minute war clenches. Construction though, I do think needs a change. Either replace the objective, or lower it. Personally, I opt for lowering it. Other than that, the only changes I see necessary are QOL changes, such as nerfing OP spots that tipped the scale one way when it comes to balance of combat. Whether anybody agrees with this or not, I don't think hugely altering the map will be beneficial, and it might even harm considering how much would need to change. I also think that there's a decent alternative to this. 

a. Garnet adds QOL changes, nerfs cons, and adds a couple holes in the Arches, and then makes a SECOND VERSION including much more in depth changes, so that in the case of the map being hated it can be hot swapped for a new version. 

b. Garnet chooses one of the above, and hopes for the best.

Edited by acer
  • Agree 1

My suggestion is kind of small, but being that the past couple maps we've had were desert related, maybe change the setting to a forest or maybe fully embrace that it could be in a city? I think this could keep the map fresh, while still being a revised version of our last map.

• Like 3
  • 300 IQ 1
2 hours ago, acer said:

. Most people are suggesting huge map altering changes, i.e. replacing objectives

Yes, Changes that are suggested should only be things that have to be changed. Otherwise already said on the doc.  How it should be is he changes the map back to the old Omega then we play on that while hes making these changes. 

To add onto what Tuna mentioned it could be interesting to see a more overgrown city-esque type of map. I think a good baseline to go off of or even reference would be one of the iterations of Taiga, not sure which one, but it had a similar idea going on. Especially at OBJs like company that had the entire front area that US would push through being completely overgrown with toppled vehicles and even player tall shrubbery that would relatively conceal them.

Also, I think the walls dividing the map could also be removed and to replace the empty space things like additional shrubbery, debris, obstacles, and maybe even small buildings similar to what we have on Echo would be a great addition. 

Lastly, I think that powerplant or really that entire section of the map should be uprooted and replaced with a more favorable objective like Company or could even introduce a variation of old UK base from cscdesert with some additional terrain and/or buildings. 

EDIT: I like the relationship that cons and Mosq have. However, Cons shouldn't be an official OBJ that can be capped and should be slimmed down to not be nearly as tall. Although, I think this is also in the works.

Also, making AFG base a little more unique to themselves would be cool as well. I.E. similar to cscdesert AFG base with some basements in a few buildings, shacks, etc.

Maybe even remake Outpost, UK Base, and/or OC and utilize them on this map.

Edited by Jackal
  • Agree 3
  • StarWarsRP Administration Team
4 hours ago, SirSmity said:

Yes, Changes that are suggested should only be things that have to be changed

That was the stuff on the doc, and he's addressed most of it already I believe. The whole point of this post is for people to make suggestions about how they want the map changed. This post isn't about 'only necessary' it's about getting the community's opinion on what could make the Omega map more enjoyable, and what people would like to see done to it.

52 minutes ago, StraightWhiteChristianMale said:

in my opinion the map were on (i think its called delta) is way too open and everyone gets shredded my snipers, better cover would be appreciated

We're discussing the map we're about to switch to. It's not nearly as open