/seen Command

JackJJ

Description: For those unaware, "/seen (name)" is a command used to get the last time that a person was connected to the server.

Reasoning: First of all, it's just a useful command in it of itself and can be used for lots of different situations. It's very useful to tell how active someone is on the server or if a friend you used to play with is still active. A really important use I can definitely see this for is someone who got banned, then by the end of their ban, you'd do /seen (their alt's name) to tell if they ban evaded during the time they were banned.

Additional Information: [Photos/Videos][/CODE]

• Disagree 1

Honestly I don’t see much practical use for this command. Implementing a command just to see when your friend was last online seems silly to me, when you could just see if they were online or ask. If you already knew the alt account’s name, why would you just see if they were online, or if they left via disconnect logs? 

• Disagree 1
1 hour ago, Starlepsy said:

Implementing a command just to see when your friend was last online seems silly to me, when you could just see if they were online

This sentence makes no sense at all. How would you 'see' if they were online without the command then?

when you could just see if they were online or ask.

Not everyone has contact with their friend through other platforms than the server. Most of the people I'm friends with on this server don't have any contact with me at all other than knowing their in-game name, unless they're a staff member of course.

If you already knew the alt account’s name, why would you just see if they were online, or if they left via disconnect logs? 

If you read what I wrote in the suggestion, you'd see I made a point about how it would be useful to see if someone ban evaded by using their alt account when their main account is banned. Again, this comment makes no sense.

12 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

This sentence makes no sense at all. How would you 'see' if they were online without the command then?

Not everyone has contact with their friend through other platforms than the server. Most of the people I'm friends with on this server don't have any contact with me at all other than knowing their in-game name, unless they're a staff member of course.

You would see if they were online via looking at your friends list, because steam is the platform that connects everyone who plays Garry’s Mod.

13 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

If you read what I wrote in the suggestion, you'd see I made a point about how it would be useful to see if someone ban evaded by using their alt account when their main account is banned. Again, this comment makes no sense.

Indeed I have read your reasoning behind someone ban evading, and again there is no point due to the fact that if you already know their alt’s name - you would see if they  have been on the server with logs.

P.S reacting to a separate message of mine with a shit post solely because you disagree with me isn’t nice 😞

14 minutes ago, Starlepsy said:

P.S reacting to a separate message of mine with a shit post solely because you disagree with me isn’t nice 😞

I reacted to your other message with shitpost because you posted that 3 weeks is a little more than 20 days on a ban appeal.

15 minutes ago, Starlepsy said:

You would see if they were online via looking at your friends list, because steam is the platform that connects everyone who plays Garry’s Mod.

You literally didn't even read my reply. My reply said, "Not everyone has contact with their friend through other platforms than the server." which includes Steam. Yes, you can see players you've recently played with, but there's many reasons why that wouldn't work. 1. They could've been playing another server than DarkRP on Garry's Mod. 2. Their Steam name could be different than their in-game name. 3. A lot of people set their profiles to Invisible or Private which would make it impossible to tell when they were last on any game at all.

17 minutes ago, Starlepsy said:

and again there is no point due to the fact that if you already know their alt’s name - you would see if they  have been on the server with logs.

Logs don't last forever, especially multiple days. There is not a single ban that is less than a day, and connection logs would not last that long ever considering server restarts, crashes, and all the people leaving and joining the server all the time.

18 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

You literally didn't even read my reply. My reply said, "Not everyone has contact with their friend through other platforms than the server." which includes Steam. Yes, you can see players you've recently played with, but there's many reasons why that wouldn't work. 1. They could've been playing another server than DarkRP on Garry's Mod. 2. Their Steam name could be different than their in-game name. 3. A lot of people set their profiles to Invisible or Private which would make it impossible to tell when they were last on any game at all.

Actually good point, you can make your profile private to even your friends profile. But I wouldn't create a command just to see the last time your friend was on.

24 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

Logs don't last forever, especially multiple days. There is not a single ban that is less than a day, and connection logs would not last that long ever considering server restarts, crashes, and all the people leaving and joining the server all the time.

Another good point, however when have the staff ever needed to use such a command - when they already find out? By that I mean, they seem to find the "culprits" pretty easily without it. (any staff can correct me)

37 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

I reacted to your other message with shitpost because you posted that 3 weeks is a little more than 20 days on a ban appeal.

He said he was banned for 2 weeks, so I clarified (using his ban proof image) that it in fact was 3 weeks so that people didn't have to check for themselves and question the ban length. What need did you have to react in such a way? How dare such a mortal, I feel disrespected 😞

29 minutes ago, Starlepsy said:

Another good point, however when have the staff ever needed to use such a command - when they already find out? By that I mean, they seem to find the "culprits" pretty easily without it. (any staff can correct me)

I disagree with you. Lots of people are banned everyday and just being able to do /seen (their alt's name) at the end of their ban would make spotting ban evasion sooo much easier. Also, only few staff members would know the name of someone's alt, let alone the fact that they even have an alt, and the chances of those staff members being on at the same time as the alt and being able to identify that it is indeed the alt (especially when they change their name) are really low unless the person is making it relatively obvious that it's them using their alt. We only ever really sniff out ban evaders if they were just permanently banned because that's when they are most often to pull out an alt. This way, we could find many more ban evaders in a MUCH easier way.

7 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

I disagree with you. Lots of people are banned everyday and just being able to do /seen (their alt's name) at the end of their ban would make spotting ban evasion sooo much easier. Also, only few staff members would know the name of someone's alt, let alone the fact that they even have an alt, and the chances of those staff members being on at the same time as the alt and being able to identify that it is indeed the alt (especially when they change their name) are really low unless the person is making it relatively obvious that it's them using their alt. We only ever really sniff out ban evaders if they were just permanently banned because that's when they are most often to pull out an alt. This way, we could find many more ban evaders in a MUCH easier way.

That is precisely what I'm trying to say. You need the alt's name in order to use it - and If you already have the alt's name, then there is no point in having the command.

7 minutes ago, DooDooCaCa said:

I'm confused by the ban evasion part? Will it be like if they know the name of the alt they will do /seen (alt) then /seen (main) and see if the alt was on while the main was banned?

Yes exactly. Let's say someone is banned for 2 weeks. If we know they have an alt, then we'll wait 2 weeks. Once the two weeks are up, we'll /seen the alt and see if it went online less than 2 weeks ago. If it did, then we'd know that they ban evaded,

1 minute ago, Starlepsy said:

That is precisely what I'm trying to say. You need the alt's name in order to use it - and If you already have the alt's name, then there is no point in having the command.

That isn't the sole purpose of the command though. This was just one of the reasons I threw in there because it would make finding ban evaders a lot easier, more painless, and we'd catch more of them since anyone who knows their alt can check if they ban evaded, not just staff members.

4 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

That isn't the sole purpose of the command though. This was just one of the reasons I threw in there because it would make finding ban evaders a lot easier, more painless, and we'd catch more of them since anyone who knows their alt can check if they ban evaded, not just staff members.

What other way would you use it for, that in theory would benefit the server? Trust me when I say I'm not berating you or anything, I just want to know if it's worth the trouble of adding a command. I'm not a coder so I wouldn't know how hard or easy it would be, if it's in reality very easy, then it wouldn't really matter to me.

21 minutes ago, Starlepsy said:

What other way would you use it for, that in theory would benefit the server? Trust me when I say I'm not berating you or anything, I just want to know if it's worth the trouble of adding a command. I'm not a coder so I wouldn't know how hard or easy it would be, if it's in reality very easy, then it wouldn't really matter to me.

I'm assuming it'd be written like this:

when someone disconnects:

if they don't have a time in the log: add the date & time they disconnected to the log

if they do have a time in the log: overwrite their date & time in the log with the new date & time they disconnected in the log

when someone types /seen *name*:

if *name* exists in log: send user "[Garnet] *name* was last seen on *date* at *time*."

if *name* not exist in log: send user "[Garnet] No one by this name has been seen before!"

Pretty straightforward for the amount of benefits it'd have if you ask me.

Edit: Obviously this is oversimplified, but this is pretty much what the code would look like depending on the language the server uses.

Edited by JackJJ
6 minutes ago, Starlepsy said:

@JackJJ I probably should've mentioned this at the beginning, but if you have a log for every single time someone exits the server, wouldn't that make the server slow or something? I'm assuming that's why the "/logs" clear up every so often.

Yes that's exactly why. The logs in the server write a separate line for every time someone connects or disconnects from the server (multiple lines per person), but the log that I mentioned in my code would be 1 line with barely any information for everyone who disconnects from the server (1 line per person). Plus, in code, it's not very difficult to "get" information from a single line in a text document, that's why I chose that method. Even if the document had 1000 lines, it would only be about 15 KB which is barely any space at all.

• Agree 1