Bring Back MRP Roleplaying

Aparh

Suggestion: Lately, MRP to me has been seeming pretty boring, i do sims, go to war, do tryouts. But Besides that there's nothing else to do. Now i know Garnet is a "semi-serious RP server" but i think there still can be some serious role playing involved at times. For example, staff can set up an event weekly where US Has to breach and clear RU and rescue hostages or something along those lines.

Benefiting Server: I personally feel like Garnet Gaming needs more of  a role play aspect to it and if the community/ mainly staff work together i think it will be possible. This will bring a lot more enjoyable experiences to the server.

Edited by Aparh
format ffs
15 minutes ago, Cautious said:

So uh, i gave a description and i said how it wold help the server. Its just not in that format. ( Like Description: and Reasoning:

Edited by Aparh
IM brainded
21 minutes ago, AparhTurtle said:

a role play aspect

Don't even get me started. It's been tried, and each time it's been tried, it's been proven that it just doesn't work. Changing the mindset of an entire established community overnight is virtually impossible. Frankly, consistently integrating roleplay elements is a lot more difficult and nuanced than adding a couple events. You might need a really, really comprehensive plan to do so and even then, you still need support from a vast majority of the population.

• 300 IQ 1
37 minutes ago, AparhTurtle said:

Lately, MRP to me has been seeming pretty boring, i do sims, go to war, do tryouts. But Besides that there's nothing else to do. Now i know Garnet is a "semi-serious RP server" but i think there still can be some serious role playing involved at times. For example, staff can set up an event weekly where US Has to breach and clear RU and rescue hostages or something along those lines. I personally feel like Garnet Gaming needs more of  a role play aspect to it and if the community/ mainly staff work together i think it will be possible. This will bring a lot more enjoyable experiences to the server.

Roleplay on the server ended once @Ethanresigned. He was the last bastion of role-playing hope. 

• Cringe 6
  • Haha 1

I agree with this I also see people getting bored after war and just getting off to do something else. I would really love to see more events in place, this would definitely take away the boring aspect of peace time and make it more enjoyable for everyone

Edited by Remake

The issue isn't that it isn't possible to do roleplay. The community has already addressed that they want more roleplay-oriented content (i.e. missions and such) but one of two things happens:

1) The content is not prepped for use on a specific map, meaning that it is implemented but does not work.

2) The community creates a cycle of people getting bored of said content, but then people don't participate in the content because nobody else is.

Take for example the amount of changes to factions; MRP is not what it used to be last year. That is rather expected, sure, but it is far different. The focus I see now that Remake has talked about is that people only hop on to play war, do a tryout, and leave. Nobody does sims anymore. People rarely do roleplay kidnaps and almost always do some sort of meme-y shit when they kidnap players. Assassinations were a thing but had gotten removed. Raids have nothing to do with roleplay like they may have before (after losing a war, talk shit in comms and then raid the base), now they're just people fighting to get the biggest and best nade feed.

Faction leaders no longer evaluate their officers, at least not in the same sense that they were back before July 2018, when Siberia had released. People get promoted for the sole reason of being off their cooldown instead of based on any sort of merit. Faction leaders are appointing officers to second-in-command when it isn't necessary to, only for the title even if it doesn't give them seniority over somebody else. And not to mention that it is mass promotion regardless of if you use the excuse of, "I'm allowed to appoint a second-in-command as General if they fit the role". Overdoing it and appointing more than a few people to these second-in-command ranks is yikes.

Making MilitaryRP a roleplay gamemode as originally intended (even if it is semi-serious roleplay, as said many times by Garnet and the community), it will take the effort of faction leaders and the staff team to make it possible. It has nothing to do with what types of content are available to you, because there is a shit ton that have one of the two things applied to it that I mentioned at the top of this post.

There are quite a few things that would need to be changed for this to be possible and it ranges from gameplay to management of factions (branch leaders, special forces leaders, and such) and the management of the staff team. People just have to want it collectively, which is hard because most people dislike any sort of change from the norm.

• 300 IQ 1
  • Informative 4
4 hours ago, AparhTurtle said:

For example, staff can set up an event weekly where US Has to breach and clear RU and rescue hostages or something along those lines.

This has already been suggested, but would still be a very good idea

It would really be fun to do this, but I think for some people it would attract them away from the server especially since it's so combat based on this server (even though it's really boring sometimes). A lot of people come to our server for the combat and the semi-serious role play which is why we have the bare minimum of role play. 

I think if we were to slowly lower it into the player base maybe on the new map or when we add vehicles and other interesting things.

So I +1 this idea but I think maybe we could incorporate it in vehicles and in kidnaps first before we get into the more serious stuff on maps later in the Map Rotation

This sounds like a good idea, maybe the staff team and faction leaders could have a meeting to implement more rping into the server if that what the player base really wants. I could see this working out, but a majority of our playerbase is already used to a lack style of playing, using the server more as a hub to interact with their friends rather than real rping in other servers.  

Faction leaders need to also create task for there enlisted give jobs to do I.E scout out the opposing faction base for intel so we can raid. Factions leaders need to also prepare there 2nd in command for there position by giving them task and stuff like that.. I heard @Ethan had system design for his faction and I love if he went into detail and how he did that.

• Cringe 2
  • Winner 1
7 hours ago, Dexx said:

system design for his faction and I love if he went into detail and how he did that.

Ethan's was loosely based on my ISI model, but done very poorly to a near slave-driver extent. Would not recommend using his or mine as a foundation for anything current. The best thing you'll probably be able to utilize today would be the Volkov model, but that would require nuking Vega.

17 hours ago, Torch said:

community has already addressed that they want more roleplay-oriented content

So this is right, and also horribly wrong. As someone who has fought for stronger roleplay elements for probably the better half of two years, I only got as far as RP operations and character backgrounds on one half of the server (e.g Volkov era, right after RU was re-implemented). It's often brought up by an odd handful of community members that 'the people want roleplay', but the fact of the matter is, it's just not true. The GG mold is and always has been a extremely low intensity roleplay environment heavily focused around combat and the structure therein, or, as I've always said, CS:GO death-match with extra steps. Low-RP is the niche GG occupies and thrives on.

17 hours ago, SkaDoo said:

add vehicles

The main thing you lose with incorporating a vehicle base is tickrate, which basically translates to server performance, especially in combat. It was a pretty cancer discussion regarding the removal of vehicles back when it happened for what I think was the last time, but it was a pretty necessary forced change in order to;
1) Slow down the pace of combat.
2) Make combat itself less bullshit by improving hitreg.
3) Allow the server to perform a little better while the phase of new maps was beginning.

15 hours ago, draggydx said:

using the server more as a hub to interact with their friends rather than real rping in other servers.  

This is right on the money, take notes kids.

20 hours ago, Remake said:

see more events

Alright, one last point of old man knowledge. Events are rough, and carry their own fair share of risk. It's really easy to look at the state of the server, pop on the forums, and say 'do events plz', but you miss out on a lot of important things about the subject itself. As somebody who was at one point a gamemaster (I think the first GM for this community) I can tell you right now, people can get really critical when an event isn't run to perfection, and running events is hard. It takes a lot of creativity, coordination, and patience while trying to lead people in the right direction. Events done poorly aren't fun and leave a bad taste in the mouths of everyone participating. Good events absolutely tear up the staff's stamina, which usually leads to a lot of good staff retiring and burning out very quickly.

• Like 1
  • 300 IQ 1
8 minutes ago, Im Dream said:

The cause

Just gonna break down your argument into bite sized chunks real quick and state some key concepts to functional and fluid roleplay. 

• The reason there has been a general downscale of virtually all the server content is to help the server fulfill it's purpose more efficiently. It's not a roleplay server, therefore it doesn't need several Gbs of roleplay assets.
  • Whether or not you have vehicles spawned and in use on the server, just having the vehicle base loaded can do some significant damage.
  • Even though you stated that you're not trying to pursue anything based on feelings of 'nostalgia', I still think all your reasoning is geared toward the server as you remember it from way back when, and that's okay, it happens a lot. Nobody likes change, the playerbase gets recycled and the server today becomes the server of yesterday. Frankly, the server today would fucking implode if it had all the features it did 2 years ago.
  • Informative 1
22 hours ago, AparhTurtle said:

"semi-serious RP server" but i think there still can be some serious role playing involved at times.

One more thing because this bugs me every time I see it. It's a pretty common trope in gMod to say your RP server is semi-serious on server listings, whatever, it's inconsequential, but don't ever use that as a means to justify a suggestion. Low, Med, and High RP are completely different things, and try to understand what each one actually means when you try to discuss roleplay.

• 300 IQ 1

You see, the server was never a real place to RP, the only RP I did on this server is when I would kidnap and pull the "Chernov The Castrater & Friends" with me and a few others. but that was only when I did kidnaps. There is no real way to make the server actually Role-Play filled unless you reformed everyone. Ethan's SSO was probably the last faction to try and hold onto RPing, whether you liked it or not you have to admit that. There are probably many ways to incorporate RP, the thing is, that it isn't up to garnet, it is up to the staff and the playerbase as a whole to do that. Dream brought up an amazing point on how there were little things that made each faction special (i.e. Powercell, and Giant Door). The problem now is that the new map was just finished, and it would take a good bit to add all those things. So really, unless EVERYONE works together to fix that, but really its a lost cause, this server is (I forget the original person that said it) not for RPing, its for enjoying playing a game with a bunch of people.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines