DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Making it a little harder to basecamp

Kendal

Description: Essentially figuring out a way where we can make basecamping a little harder across the board. We probably can't fully eliminate basecamping given that, it's something that's bound to happen on any map no matter what, this is merely a suggestion thread to find ways to make basecamping a little harder.

Reasoning: Currently we have the rule in place that during war, you cannot go past the Archways for the enemy base. However, it's still easy to camp those archways themselves which leads to US or RU not being able to leave their Archways, rather than their base. I think I have an idea that can help either side be able to actually make it past their archways.

In the morning yesterday, Zachman and I were experimenting with different things we could add to the map to give it more QOL and a more CQC feel. This map CAN be CQC oriented, we just need to add a couple of touches to help out with that. The goal shouldn't be to completely eliminate the usefuleness of a sniper, but to decrease how effective they can be at every stage of war (from pushing to OBJ, to capping, to defending, to basecamping)

One Idea Zachman and I came up with was this...

465690208600a3505ed358ed55c2e1ff.png

I am fully aware that this looks somewhat ugly. However adding large fading doors to the archway passes could prevent basecampers from seeing where the enemy is before they can even leave base. More often than not, the basecamp is killing enemies before they even get to the archway. This would allow US or RU to organize large pushes, or send smaller fractions of forces out of different archways without worrying about being killed before even making it past the arch. 

I am not sure if adding something like this to every archway (I believe there are 6 on the map) would prove very costly in terms of FPS or map space on Hammer, but if it could work then we could see some change in how basecamping works on the current map.

I know some might not agree with this specific change, so I encourage discussion on this suggestion thread that could lead to something better.

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, Kendal said:

Description: Essentially figuring out a way where we can make basecamping a little harder across the board. We probably can't fully eliminate basecamping given that, it's something that's bound to happen on any map no matter what, this is merely a suggestion thread to find ways to make basecamping a little harder.

Reasoning: Currently we have the rule in place that during war, you cannot go past the Archways for the enemy base. However, it's still easy to camp those archways themselves which leads to US or RU not being able to leave their Archways, rather than their base. I think I have an idea that can help either side be able to actually make it past their archways.

In the morning yesterday, Zachman and I were experimenting with different things we could add to the map to give it more QOL and a more CQC feel. This map CAN be CQC oriented, we just need to add a couple of touches to help out with that. The goal shouldn't be to completely eliminate the usefuleness of a sniper, but to decrease how effective they can be at every stage of war (from pushing to OBJ, to capping, to defending, to basecamping)

One Idea Zachman and I came up with was this...

465690208600a3505ed358ed55c2e1ff.png

I am fully aware that this looks somewhat ugly. However adding large fading doors to the archway passes could prevent basecampers from seeing where the enemy is before they can even leave base. More often than not, the basecamp is killing enemies before they even get to the archway. This would allow US or RU to organize large pushes, or send smaller fractions of forces out of different archways without worrying about being killed before even making it past the arch. 

I am not sure if adding something like this to every archway (I believe there are 6 on the map) would prove very costly in terms of FPS or map space on Hammer, but if it could work then we could see some change in how basecamping works on the current map.

I know some might not agree with this specific change, so I encourage discussion on this suggestion thread that could lead to something better.

Tbh I think this might work work pretty good, and garnet could add this into the map itself in hammer. The only thing I'd be worried about is players somehow abusing this to their advantage.

It's pretty simple to implement something like this in hammer tbh, literally just a single brush and then make it into a func_brush, and then change the solidity of the brush to "never solid". pretty sure it'd work (kinda like this: http://prntscr.com/w1d120

Edited by PrisonNightmare

While this is in fact a good idea, the fact of the matter is once you get to that fading door it fades; making it easier to basecamp closer to the arches while people in base could have a very hard time shooting back.

If the doors could just not fade I can see this working or making them fade right when you get up to it making sniping there almost impossible.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

While this is in fact a good idea, the fact of the matter is once you get to that fading door it fades; making it easier to basecamp closer to the arches while people in base could have a very hard time shooting back.

I could see that. But I could also see someone barrel stuffing in front of it and getting blasted by 3 11B rolling up at the same time.