Give the M60 some love

GummyBear

This has already been posted to the discord. I am simply reposting it to forums. If there's anything incorrect, let me know.

Currently, I believe the M60 on the US Army : Demotion whitelist is unviable in most PVP scenario. I don't seem to be the only one to think this, as 11B generally avoids using the weapon. The inefficacy of the weapon comes down to three things:

1. High fire rate (780) - Higher is better*
  2. Low handling (50% base, 38% modified) - Higher is better
  3. High recoil (75% base, 71% modified) - Lower is better
    Refer to linked images for the full lists of stats and attachments

Combined, these three individually minor problems make the weapon a hassle to use. Now, I agree that high recoil is normal for any LMG, but I believe it to be disproportionate. Any attempt to use this weapon off of bipod results in your crosshair shooting up to the sky or otherwise necessitates a high recoil compensation (See clip 1 & 2). In comparison, the RPK, surprisingly benefits from its lower fire rate of 650. Let's compare it's stats to that of the M60

1. Lower fire rate (650) - Higher is better*
  2. Better handling (100% base, 55% modified) - Higher is better
  3. Same/Worse recoil (75% base, 75% modified) - Lower is better
    Refer to linked images for the full lists of stats and attachments

This different mix of stats allow for the RPK to be much more enjoyable to use while also solving the recoil issue that the M60 suffers from (See clip 1 & 2). Therefore, I believe the m60 could benefit from getting stats that are more in line with that of the RPK and thus increase its viability in wars.

I suggest:

• Lowering the fire rate of the weapon
  • Increasing it's damage stat (Keep DPS the same; 442 base, 420 modified)

Other possible improvements:

1. Add more attachments options to the M60:
    Muzzle Break to decrease Recoil (I'm not sure if it's a thing on the server)
    Foregrip to increase Handling
    Different weapon variant, in a similar way to that of the Tali PM/PB Pistol, to allow the switch between the base M60 and a possible M60E6 (Lightweight) variant that
    could increase the handling at the cost of some other stat (Fire rate, DMG, etc)

2. Allow the use of bipod in tandem with the addition of the prone suggestion to increase usability of the mounting feature of the M60

Now, let me show some gameplay. ⚠️ If you believe my experimenting method is wrong, unfair, biased, etc, please do let me know and I will make the necessary efforts to improve it ⚠️

Clip 1: Uncompensated firing https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/10D16NJhiB1p1y/d1337HtadaWH?invite=cr-MSxRMk4sNDY1MTg0NzQs

Clip 2: Compensated firing https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/10D1upwnYs8ClT/d1337u4ztiMm?invite=cr-MSxIU2osNDY1MTg0NzQs

Stats:
image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

/!\ Major P.S:
I don't wish to make this a US vs Tali thing, the RPK is just the only thing I had access to when trying to compare the M60 with similar guns. I am more than opened to outside opinion which is why I wrote this whole suggestion in the first place. My aim in making this whole comparison is to shed light on a severely underused weapon by showing its flaws while also trying to imagine what the M60 could be or become.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Think the LMGs on either side should be comparable to each other. Unfair to US lower enlisted to go through a full tryout for the M60 just to figure out the gun is absolute garbage.

Completely agree with this suggestion and all the possible changes seem fine to me, +1.

• Agree 1