Add Capable Points During Peacetime

Pockle

Repost of one that was denied.

With the new assassination update coming out I cannot think of a better time to add in something like this. While I appreciate the effort of the creators of this new system I do not believe this is enough incentive to leave base for most players. This post could be a worthwhile addition to the new update, and the Occupations that come along with it could reward points to whichever faction wins. 

Peacetime on Garnet MRP is terrible. Most people just afk or switch off gmod to play another game until the next war. This is really bad for player retention. I suggest that we take a page from Icefuse's book and give players something to do during peacetime. 

Capturable Points - I suggest that we add point similar to the ones we have already during war, but put them in so that they only appear during peacetime. Place these points at these locations or ones near them -

• Courtyard - The same area where the war point is at.
  • Construction - Top floor of North Building in the open area that looks towards US base. 
  • Playground - Same area where playground point is at.
  • Warehouse - Grain building closest to construction 
  • Village - In the middle of the road. In line with the alley between buildings two and three.
  • Trailer Park - Small housing complex beside US base.
  • Shanty Town - Small housing complex beside Tali base.

I am currently working on finding an addon that would allow management to place small circular cap points so that the points are not like they are during wars. I would also suggest adding a small experience and money bonus to capturing an objective. 

RP Contributions - Adding in these points would unlock a couple of different RP scenarios for players to engage in during peacetime. Creative players can call one for a RP reason, I.E. Collecting Intel, Interviewing Locals, Sending Encrypted Message to Command. If you are boring and lazy you can call one to get some combat action and not afk during peacetime. Mid to Senior level enlisted players would have a reason to take lower enlisted on patrols around the map. Players could farm capping these points for experience and money, which would lead to more interaction between factions during peacetime as they fight for the rewards of capturing an objective. Not to brown nose Icefuse, but I would also suggest stealing an idea they had called occupations. Occupations worked similarly to how Garnet wars work. You call a debrief and pick an objective to occupy. Once you have capped the objective you can call a 10 minute occupation on one point around the map. In my opinion, players can really have a field day with these occupations. You have the time to actually place people where you want them to defend with a visual without having the chaos of war. Communication was off the charts during Icefuse occupations and this is where the server really hooked a lot of people. Creative players can call one for a RP reason, I.E. Collecting Intel, Interviewing Locals, Sending Encrypted Message to Command. If you are boring and lazy you can call one to get some combat action and not afk during peacetime. All of these together would help to sate blood hungry Garnet players.

Occupation Rules - 

• Must call a debrief before adverting an occupation.
  • Must have the point capped before calling an occupation. If not capped when the OCC is called then it is an automatic loss. 
  • All players involved in defending the occupied point must be within the bounds of the occupied area. For example, if a occupation is called on construction, all players defending the point have to be inside of the construction buildings. If the occupation is on playground then all players must be within the school area. 
  • Occupations last 10 minutes. If the point is not captured before that time the defending team wins (Collects Intel, Sends encrypted message, some other RP reason). If the point is captured then whatever RP plan the occupants had is foiled. 
  • Only one occupation can be ongoing at a time. First one to call it gets it. 
  • There is a 10 minute cooldown before another can be called. 

This is obviously a huge change and would take some serious work to get implemented. However, at this time I am personally having the most fun on MRP I have had since the base camping and sniper bullshittery of the last two maps. The only problem I personally have is the pronounced boringness of peacetime. I am not saying this is the solution to boring peacetimes, but I absolutely believe it would help. 

Thanks for Reading.

Edited by Pockle
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

Ok, so 
If we do this, the Peacetime rules would have to be immediately altered. This would allow for people to have something else to do during peacetime, but if there are obtainable objectives during peacetime then the server would have to alter to 24/7 war. Meaning ; that the ROE's would have to change from No weapons = civilians to no matter what AFG and US are KOS at all times during the day. I'm not too sure how that would work in game, and I'm not too sure how that would effect the server as a whole. 
Neutral on this topic ; but that's my opinion on this manner. 

• Like 1
On 6/4/2023 at 12:39 AM, Suesh said:

Ok, so 
If we do this, the Peacetime rules would have to be immediately altered. 

Not true numerous other servers new and old have the same cap zones with similar ROEs as us. Namely, considering "AFG = civilians when they have keys out." That ROE remains in place and our Quickdraw rule keeps any issues from happening in terms of peace time combat. So changing ROEs/rules is largely a non-issue.

This would allow for people to have something else to do during peacetime, but if there are obtainable objectives during peacetime then the server would have to alter to 24/7 war. 

This is also not true given we already are in 24/7 war with the ROEs. Again, the existing ROEs pertaining to US and AFG shooting each other imply we are already in 24/7 war.

Meaning ; that the ROE's would have to change from No weapons = civilians to no matter what AFG and US are KOS at all times during the day. I'm not too sure how that would work in game, and I'm not too sure how that would effect the server as a whole. 

Again other servers have/had similar rules and the suggested system with no issues. 

Anyway +1 given that capable points during peacetime adds an additional thing to do while staying true to what most people enjoy, war, AND can be utilized in conjunction with future updates/systems. 

Edited by Jackal
  • Friendly 1