Is cereal a soup?

Cereal & Soup  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cereal a Soup?

7 hours ago, MrMcChicken said:

Well, cereal is a soup. You have liquid in a bowl with the cereal, and it is defined as a liquid dish. The definition of a dish can mean a bowl, which in that case, cereal is a soup. If you put human shit into a bowl and pour milk into it, technically, it is a soup. But, due to normality, it is not something that is done. In this case, cereal is a typical thing that we just call cereal, but we do not call it soup. But, it is a soup. 

However, I'm taking the definition of soup which I provided earlier in this post as I'm using something as a standard for my argument. Soups are made with meats, fish, and vegetables which are then put into boiling stock or water.

Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water, or another liquid. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth.

Traditionally, soups are classified into two main groups: clear soups and thick soups. The established French classifications of clear soups are bouillon and consommé. Thick soups are classified depending upon the type of thickening agent used: purées are vegetable soups thickened with starch; bisques are made from puréed shellfish or vegetables thickened with cream; cream soups may be thickened with béchamel sauce; and veloutés are thickened with eggs, butter, and cream. Other ingredients commonly used to thicken soups and broths include egg,[1] rice, lentils, flour, and grains; many popular soups also include carrots and potatoes.

With this I can tell you that CEREAL IS NOT A SOUP

4 hours ago, D Δ TONEDE Δ DDUCK said:

However, I'm taking the definition of soup which I provided earlier in this post as I'm using something as a standard for my argument. Soups are made with meats, fish, and vegetables which are then put into boiling stock or water.

I looked into the definitions of soup, stock, broth, stew, shortening, and cereal and none of them would justify calling cereal a soup.

17 minutes ago, RiySpy said:

Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water, or another liquid. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth.

Traditionally, soups are classified into two main groups: clear soups and thick soups. The established French classifications of clear soups are bouillon and consommé. Thick soups are classified depending upon the type of thickening agent used: purées are vegetable soups thickened with starch; bisques are made from puréed shellfish or vegetables thickened with cream; cream soups may be thickened with béchamel sauce; and veloutés are thickened with eggs, butter, and cream. Other ingredients commonly used to thicken soups and broths include egg,[1] rice, lentils, flour, and grains; many popular soups also include carrots and potatoes.

With this I can tell you that CEREAL IS NOT A SOUP

Well, of course, we do not TYPICALLY call cereal soup. You never hear anyone saying, "I'm gonna' go have a bowl of soup for breakfast." But, that's the entire point of the question. Due to the definition being stated quite clearly, it states that 'soup' is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot (but may be cool or cold). The cold milk can be the broth, if you will, and the chunks can be the cereal. Given that the second paragraph you typed says, "traditionally," it simply means 'typically.' In other words, those are the classifications of two main groups of soup that have became TYPICAL overtime to be used as a soup. Therefore, cereal is a soup due to it being a liquid dish of which you can eat, which is the definition of a soup. 

13 hours ago, D Δ TONEDE Δ DDUCK said:

Well there has to be standards and norms to base the argument off of, yes? Otherwise I'll say human piss and shit is soup because it's a solid in a liquid. And you'll probably be like: "well it is lol" or something stupid like that >.>

You're taking a shitpost thread way too seriously lmao