DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Third-Person Removal/Revamp

Coyotee

Third person, a topic i was fine with when i joined back to the server a few days ago until it dawned on me that a LOT of people abuse it to the point i wanted to express my feelings on this subject.

Obviously since i just joined you might think i have no "experience" with said topic, but if any of you remember old csdesert garnet, there  was a reason why almost everyone hated third person.... ABUSERS. I can assure you this post is legit and not a rational decision from me.

I want to point out im not making this post to frustrate people that use this feature frequently, im just pointing out mine and others outlook on it that believe it could potentially be removed or revamped.

Im stating this in two different options (removal/revamped) because i know for a fact the select individuals who do abuse this will defend third person to the death, so im up for the option of fixing it or removing it.
Pleased dont be biased towards this if you use it regularly, provide actual evidence and/or statements that regard to this post. 

Ways to fix Third-person (suggestions/thoughts)
1. Making it a locked third-person for everyone.
Doing this will allow a more balanced system compared to the current third-person. Many new privates and even higher ranks dont know that you can use F6 to configure it so its not the default one. Although configuring third person is good for moving it to right shoulder or left, i think that the one option to make it higher should be taken away.

2. Making the player unable to shoot in third-person
Although this will be a controversial option, this can reduce the overuse of pre-firing over hills, obstacles and etc. One of the more annoying things that comes with third person is pre-firing in general while in third person, ive noticed many times in wars that its nearly impossible to counter people that pre-fire you over a hill your running up (the enemy being at the apex of the hill).

3. Removing third-person
This will be my last option since like i stated above this option will be the most heavily disagreed on. Ive already stated most of my points on why it should be removed in suggestions "1." and "2." but wanted to summarize quickly for the people who skimmed through my sloppy writing fast. Pre-firing: people at the apex of a hill with thirdperson on ready to pre-fire said target. How high you can make third person: One thing i know everyone that abuses third person have set (pretty much you cant counter this if the enemy is smart about it) , although this was abused in early garnet, it is happening again (this is the exact reasoning on why it was removed ages ago). In the end, since im joining back to the community, i want to see balance in the server and not see small things people can abuse, wanted to point this out so you guys know im not making this out of pure frustration nor to cause an uproar and negativity in this post.

Edited by Coyotee
  • Like 2
  • 300 IQ 3

I'm not into MilitaryRP as much as I once was, however I felt the need to post my opinion on this. However, not being able to shoot in third-person would almost make it useless. Some players prefer gaming in third-person instead of first-person and vice versa. Removing third person is also an idea that I believe would hurt the server more than benefit it. If anything is changed with third-person, I'd recommend locking it so you cannot make it go higher, but go left/right depending on your playstyle. 

• Like 1

Anybody can use third person to their advantage which makes it fair to everyone.  Plus, people have their own preference on how they want to play, and i feel as removing third person would cause lots of lashback and make people leave. Just doesnt seem too big of an issue to get rid of completely or change.

7 minutes ago, Huskaii said:

Anybody can use third person to their advantage which makes it fair to everyone.

Not saying I'm supporting removal, but that's like saying that anyone can rape so it should be legal (not saying I'm against that either btw).

Edited by Catfisher
  • 300 IQ 1
7 minutes ago, Catfisher said:

Not saying I'm supporting removal, but that's like saying that anyone can rape so it should be legal (not saying I'm against that either btw).

Well if everybody has access to be able to use third person, how is it an unfair advantage? All im saying is that people dont have more of an advantage with the use of third person over someone else.

Just now, Huskaii said:

Well if everybody has access to be able to use third person, how is it an unfair advantage? All im saying is that people dont have more of an advantage with the use of third person over someone else.

The only way it becomes an unfair advantage is from people who use better settings or know how to use it better. Of course, in the ideal case, it is fair, but it could still be an overall detriment to gameplay. I personally enjoy having 3rd person on the server, I just see how it could be annoying.

Simple solution:

You want people to use these features?

Then give them the knowledge. It's an opportunity for SOC/Spets to train and connect with entry factions.

As an actual response to this suggestion:

-1. Third person is a huge thing in gameplay. This is like removing the triple jump. These features make combat what it is (which what I'm reading is claiming that is the problem, "combat shouldn't be like this")

I don't quite understand the point of removing 3rd person. It does not bear an unfair advantage over anybody as anyone can use it if they so desire

Now I can understand if you can not find settings that fit your play style or that you are comfortable with but still, something that simple should not remove something that so many people on the server uses. And it does not take a lot of time nor brainpower to press "insert" or "f6" on your keyboard and find settings that you are comfortable with.

• Like 1
  • Dumb/Shitpost 1

I think either you guys are just skipping over everything or just see in the title "remove", I stated in the post that I've realized that a fairly high percentage of you guys won't want to remove it, so I've posted suggestions about fixing it. If your gonna comment saying no to the removal only, please also look at my revamp suggestions and comment on those, that's the main reason I put them in so people didn't just -1 just for removal. 

10 minutes ago, Flak said:

it does not take a lot of time nor brainpower to press "insert" or "f6" on your keyboard and find settings that you are comfortable with.

Pulling a sentence out of my suggestions that doesn't help the topic at hand won't help. I've clearly done some asking around about the usage of f6 and many lower ranks had no idea. 

Honestly I'm for both sides here, both forms of combat are fun to me so I'll post my opinions on both the removal and why it should be kept the way it is.

Why should it be removed?

Like Coyote and others said it leads to many stalemates of who will peak first, unfair advantages on high ground, and general favour in a fight to whoever holds the angle in third-person. Removing third-person makes people have to stay out to peak to actually see the battle field, instead of sitting in one spot in third person until you see someone and then peaking. It also makes the person have to constantly reposition and stay moving as if they peak the same spot twice without knowing where the enemy is they will likely die. This makes people stay more reliant on their un-predictability and positioning as they can't just find a random hill to sit on the whole war.

Another thing the removal of third person will bring is the use of diversity for attachments. It will no longer be what scope has no stat debuffs so it can be used for third person, it will be preference. Also suppressors will likely see more use as the muzzle flash on some guns is really fucking blinding. The removal will also lead to more use of aesthetically pleasing weapons and generally allow for more diversity in gun-play. I.E tradeoffs in more visibility > damage, sexy gun > busted gun that looks like ass ,  you get my point.

Another thing that should be noted is that third-person can be used to push up to a wall and see EVERYTHING on the other side. In some cases you can abuse it to the extent that you see where everyone is on the map via their floating gun or their model from what is rendered. The removal of TP, removes this abuse :D.

Third time saying another thing but, another thing, I find a lot more shots ricochet in third person and I kill a lot of people BESIDE my player model in third person, somewhere I'm not aiming at all. Could just be the way third person is with the "correct aim" thing but idk.

Why should it be kept?

Some people will argue TP is a key point of our combat and that it is what defines Garnet in a way. Though those are the people who have the peak optimal third person settings that shit on PVT's who don't even know they have an F6 key. 

In all seriousness theres not much to defend about it besides, it's been apart of our combat forever and "everyone can use it".

If it where to stay, it's redeeming factors are: more awareness, no muzzle flash, random third person bullet saving your life even though you werent aiming at the person and peeking. Thats all it really offers combat wise.

Edited by Pencil
more input
1 hour ago, Catfisher said:

anyone can rape so it should be legal (not saying I'm against that either btw).

bro, what?

I'm down for limiting the vertical settings of 3rd person. Also I don't know if it's just a weird plugin interaction, but the matador, when you scope it in returns you to first person scoping. If that interaction could be duplicated with snipers I think this would be a lot less of an issue. 

• 300 IQ 1