Knife Duels

Subject to add: Knife Fights/Duels

What: Add a knife duel to the games you can play from the duel NPC. It would have just knives, maybe randomized knives on deployment? 200 or 300% health no armor, let the people have at it.

Why: I believe that the duels in the duel NPC all except the LORE duels are kinda dead. You rarely see anyone play them, and when the players do, afterwards they talk about going back to LORE duels. This would most likely significantly lower knife killing at or near spawn, or maybe completely eliminating it. I believe the main reason people kill each other at spawn over and over again is because the only really used duel is the dragon awp duel. So adding another duel to the mix that is actually liked would be nice.

Anymore duel suggestions or maybe about this one are greatly appreciated!

• Informative 1

But it's so much easier to just fight with knives right out of spawn instead of spending extra time to do a duel.

(especially since knife fights right out of spawn are usually consensual).

The only reason I would see people knife fighting using the duel system is for the proposed extra HP to make the fights last longer, but it would probably be more effort to implement it than it's worth, though I do agree that basically nobody uses the duels for anything else than D-Lore fights.

However, I don't think that it's much of a problem, let the people do what they want. If the people knife fighting get arrested, that's their fault for attacking w/o provocation. If the people fighting get reported, the situation can be resolved easily. If the people fighting kill someone out of the fight, then that's their fault for fighting out in the open like that.

I hardly see anyone knife fighting by spawn, but it does happen sometimes. I don't, however, think that it's a problem that will be solved by adding a new duel type, which might just become another obsolete mode.

-1,  the idea itself is not bad; I just think the results would be trivial.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Jim_Scuba said:

But it's so much easier to just fight with knives right out of spawn instead of spending extra time to do a duel.

The only reason I would see people knife fighting using the duel system is for the proposed extra HP to make the fights last longer, but it would probably be more effort to implement it than it's worth, though I do agree that basically nobody uses the duels for anything else than D-Lore fights.

However, I don't think that it's much of a problem, let the people do what they want. If the people knife fighting get arrested, that's their fault for attacking w/o provocation. If the people fighting get reported, the situation can be resolved easily. If the people fighting kill someone out of the fight, then that's their fault for fighting out in the open like that.

I hardly see anyone knife fighting by spawn, but it does happen sometimes. I don't, however, think that it's a problem that will be solved by adding a new duel type, which might just become another obsolete mode.

-1,  the idea itself is not bad; I just think the results would be trivial.

People can dragon duel right out of spawn, but a duel for it that's used a TON is still existent. You're thinking too hard about this, it's not about what is NEEDED, it's about making the server more enjoyable with another thing to add and gamble money over.

Edited by eXg IPL4YG4MES
19 minutes ago, eXg IPL4YG4MES said:

It's not about the results.... people can dragon duel right out of spawn, but a duel for it that's used a TON is still existent.

Yes, and I'm not totally dismissing the notion of adding a knife duel, I'm just saying that it might not solve the issues you are talking about.

It would indeed be nice for players without access to a knife(non-donators/don't have mom's credit card) to duel using otherwise inaccessible weapons.

The problem with your example of people being able to D-lore duel right out of spawn is that...

The majority of the playerbase does not have a dragon lore and equally doesn't want to spend a bunch of money on one, while knives only cost a few bucks. It's easy to pop a few dollars into a random Gmod server, but $30 for an in-game item is a large amount for most, even if said item is awesome. 

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the idea itself and focusing on the results too much, coming from the perspective of a person who owns a donator knife. Maybe it would be a well-received duel type with lots of use. Maybe non-donators would really enjoy the use of a knife without paying IRL money.

All of these things could be true, but the kind of people who use the duel system a lot are players who have sunk a considerable amount of time and effort into the game, and have accumulated enough wealth that they're comfortable with risking it to double their money- all based on skill of course.

The D-lore duel mode is pretty much the only one that is wholly skill-based, except maybe the 1-tap mode(though the hit registration is wonky and sometimes it's a 2-tap), thus the people who use the duel system most go for the most skill-oriented mode(though lag plays a big part in most duel termination).

Knives are not very skill-heavy, and latency plays a huge part in the "deciding" if you hit the person or they hit you. If you get hit by a knife it's usually when the other person's playermodel is about 8 feet away from yours, running back from an engagement(and vice verse when you hit them).

Due to this, I think that the use of the mode would be mostly limited to those without knives who want to mess around with friends; I suspect that the portions of playerbase who fulfill that condition is quite a small one- I don't see Dragon Lore "skill duels" being rivaled by knife duels when the other duel modes already show a trend of becoming obsolete.

God damn it, your suggestions keep making me think about stuff in depth.

Edited by Jim_Scuba
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Jim_Scuba said:

Yes, and I'm not totally dismissing the notion of adding a knife duel, I'm just saying that it might not solve the issues you are talking about.

It would indeed be nice for players without access to a knife(non-donators/don't have mom's credit card) to duel using otherwise inaccessible weapons.

The problem with your example of people being able to D-lore duel right out of spawn is that...

The majority of the playerbase does not have a dragon lore and equally doesn't want to spend a bunch of money on one, while knives only cost a few bucks. It's easy to pop a few dollars into a random Gmod server, but $30 for an in-game item is a large amount for most, even if said item is awesome. 

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the idea itself and focusing on the results too much, coming from the perspective of a person who owns a donator knife. Maybe it would be a well-received duel type with lots of use. Maybe non-donators would really enjoy the use of a knife without paying IRL money.

All of these things could be true, but the kind of people who use the duel system a lot are players who have sunk a considerable amount of time and effort into the game, and have accumulated enough wealth that they're comfortable with risking it to double their money- all based on skill of course.

The D-lore duel mode is pretty much the only one that is wholly skill-based, except maybe the 1-tap mode(though the hit registration is wonky and sometimes it's a 2-tap), thus the people who use the duel system most go for the most skill-oriented mode(though lag plays a big part in most duel termination).

Knives are not very skill-heavy, and latency plays a huge part in the "deciding" if you hit the person or they hit you. If you get hit by a knife it's usually when the other person's playermodel is about 8 feet away from yours, running back from an engagement(and vice verse when you hit them).

Due to this, I think that the use of the mode would be mostly limited to those without knives who want to mess around with friends; I suspect that the portions of playerbase who fulfill that condition is quite a small one- I don't see Dragon Lore "skill duels" being rivaled by knife duels when the other duel modes already show a trend of becoming obsolete.

God damn it, your suggestions keep making me think about stuff in depth.

I get what you mean, it was only a suggestion afterall.

3 hours ago, Jim_Scuba said:

Though if you damage someone else that could lead to a warn from both people that you damages or maybe even lead to a mass. Consensual rdm is still rdm.

Edited by Exotic
  • Like 2

Knife duels outside of spawn are easier than most duels such as dlore because you don't have such a huge risk of crossfire. -1

My suggestion though would be make the duel system where you could chose the movement speed, health, and armor of each duel. And maybe fix the tie bug. 

Edited by National1
51 minutes ago, National said:

Knife duels outside of spawn are easier than most duels such as dlore because you don't have such a huge risk of crossfire. -1

My suggestion though would be make the duel system where you could chose the movement speed, health, and armor of each duel. And maybe fix the tie bug. 

We should still have another type of duel other than basically the AWP and there is still a chance of crossfire.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 I love this idea, I think i share the opinion that using a knife is honestly one of the most enjoyable ways to kill someone. 
I think this may indeed lower, even just a few people killing others with knives outside of the duels. 
People might be less likely to start knife battles at spawn if they have the alternative to host knife duels, this might also the lower of people that are accidentally RDMed in the crossfire.