DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Learn to lead

So whats this?
This thread is a loosely made guide that I made to explain how  I personally would lead a faction.
Now, if you want you can use this in two ways: one being that this is a textbook example of bad leading and as such anything said here should be avoided at all times. Second way being that you can use this as a perfect example of a leadingstyle that works effectively.

Mentality
So to start, leading, Its hard, like really hard. Hell, I'd say that staffing is even a bit easier than leading, since at least when your doing staff duties, you can always rely on some sort of a guideline. With leading, every situation is a new and (often) scary one. Though if I could compress leading into one sentence, it would be this:

Without your enlisted, you are worthless.

That right there is extremely important but often overlooked. Seen as often you may find officers making their enlisted become basic errand boys.  This is bad thinking and should be avoide. Due to this you must come to terms with the fact that in someway, that PVT who just mic spammed your db is in some regard the single important person you will ever meet when leading. 
So, after accepting this mentality, what then?

Training/tryouts
Well, depending on your faction you may start work on your tryouts or your recuit training method. For tryouts, a good rule of thumb is that they should be strict, but rewarding at the same time. What I mean by this is that when a soldier is doing your tryout, they should not feel discouraged about trying again. For example you should not have an impossible to reach time in kh, but instead (depending your faction's tier) it should be something that 2-10 hours of training can make possible.

On the other side, when training recuits, your should be ready to lie just a bit to some people. Lets say there is  a WO coming with two new recuits to you saying that the recuits said you were training them, just say yes and take them in even if you dont know them. This shows to them that you're ready to bend the rules a bit for them and in turn it boosts up their loyalty. Also during training, I'd reccomend not using PTS that often, because simply telling recuits to be quiet works well too. This also has the added benefit that the recuit is more comfortable to ask any questions they may have about the server.

Ranks and how to use them

Edit: Since i am working on a very small timeframe, I will have to end my editing to this.

Also, never under no circustance, do not shout at your men. This is something so absurdly bad imo, I would be personally ready to have some serious talks with officers who shout for no good reason. Did that sgt just talk while pts was active?
Ok cool, just tell em in the normal tune that pts is active. Dont shout at them howthey are useless. That only makes them despise you. "But... disipline must be hold!" You may say, but disipline can be something so much more potent. Disipline can be handed out by a single question of why
"Why did you rdm him?"
"Why did you insult him?"
Questions like that put the person to think about why they did anything. After asking that you should tell them that they could easily have asked some of your officers to hold sims for them, which in turn fills the need to kill and is actually usefull.

Also to add to sims, kidnapping
Kidnapping is something that you as an officer should do with your enlisted when ever you feel like being a bit of an ass. This should be used when you feel ok with stopping someone elses fun for what ever the kidnap time is. Though when your own are getting kidnapped, try to get em all into ts. This way you always have a direct way to reach em. Also, buddy system is godlike in this situation. Also on ts, all the channels should be accessed by you enlisted. This is because that way they have a less of a barrier to talk to you when they know when they know they can just hop in and talk.

Now this all is nice and stuff but what about war? That is the thing that can separate factions from becoming powerhouses. As enlisted would most likely want to be in the faction that wins, no?
And as we have already stated, enlisted are the most valuable thing you my have.

Edited by Upland
WIP, gonna do the latter half tomorrow

Leading ANP must of gave you a large insight on leadership.

Lead the way you want to lead. Leadership is defined differently based on how you put it. As long as you're not getting major flak for just out right not doing shit, you're probably doing fine. But then again, thinking you're cool cause you make your guys change their steam pics or make them fall under a 1-2 ranking system with codenames is just you being a moron.

• Haha 1

I highly agree with you about the enlisted, factions can just forget about them. I see it a lot where they just have nothing to do and they get bored and leave the server permanently. Factions could easily combat this by doing training between wars and overall teaching them how to play.

10 hours ago, Tayler said:

Leading ANP must of gave you a large insight on leadership.

Yup, it gave a good insight into how you should interact with enlisted, though personally, I had learned stuff about enlisted long before I even joined the server. 

That said though looking back on when I made this, I do want to say that my guide should be taken with a grain of salt, as i can definetly see some half assed stuff in it myself that I have not yet come around fixing.

Here is a short and sweet way of how you should lead a faction:

• Don't take shit from anyone (unless it's constructive)
  • Keep the enlisted involved
  • Attempt to implement RP within your faction (be sensible)
  • Rank cool down balance & promotion reasoning
  • Fair punishment for all members who break rules
  • Involvement with other factions
  • Don't be super serious all the time and have some fun once and a while
1 hour ago, Acid Drop said:

Here is a short and sweet way of how you should lead a faction:

• Don't take shit from anyone (unless it's constructive)
  • Keep the enlisted involved
  • Attempt to implement RP within your faction (be sensible)
  • Rank cool down balance & promotion reasoning
  • Fair punishment for all members who break rules
  • Involvement with other factions
  • Don't be super serious all the time and have some fun once and a while

Not cookie cutter like that lol

On 5/22/2018 at 8:05 AM, Upland said:

Disclaimer:

This is a bit of an old guide already, so stuff here should be taken with a grain of salt.

So I was at first gonna write this whole thing on the weekend but one birthday later, I figured I could not write it while being hungover.

So whats this?
This thread is my way of leading made into a smallish (not really) thread. You may use this to any number of things.
You may use this to show how badly a soft spoken and a friendly leader does, or use this as an example when leading. This will be also written on the fly and from my phone. So formating will be bad and typos in the tens.

That said though this is also my final true contribution into this community and since I already have publicly said my annoyance of departure posts, you can think of this one. After this thread I will be most likely minimazing my involment with in the server.

That said though, leading. Its hard, hell I would say it is even more harder than being a staff member, since at least when you are staff, most if not all of the situations you can be in have been handeled in some way before. With leading, every situation is a new and scary situation. Though trough all that one should always remember this:
Without your enlisted, you are worthless.

This is something so important, yet something so often forgotten on the server. We treat enlisted sometimes like they are some bunch of monkies, an obstacle at times. This mentality is wrong. Before you can effectively lead you must accept that in some regard, that PVT over in the mp/anp jailcell, is the most single important person you will ever meet when leading.

That said though, once you accept this mentality, what then?
Well start to train of course, but not in the traditional strict way we are used to do. During training I would personally rarely outright use PTS, and at most I ask people to be quiet. Also, be ready to lie to some people. When you see a WO brining two recuits you have never seen, and tell you that those men told the wo that you were training them, say yes and take them in. This shows to you trainees that no matter what, they can rely on you which in turn builds their trust of you and loyalty. And this loyalty lasts as you just became the first person on the server that was ready to take a risk for em.

After these trainings out of the way, make sure that you build an envoirment where ingame rank does not matter when thinking of in-faction stuff. Why this?
Well, that way no person with in you faction will be felt bummed out about mising out on a promo, since in the end you all will be on the same base line when it comes to decisions. This also makes you easy to talk to, which in turn enforces loyalty with in you faction.
Also, this kind of thing creates appeal. I mean, why would someone stick in a faction where people are cut-throat about ranks when they got a faction where sgt's and GEN's speak to each other like they are equal right next to em? Rightfully you may ask "But doesnt to this create problems of enlisted becoming entitled about the value?"
And the awnser is,well no.
If everyone is equal, you cant really try to get something others can not get.

Also, never under no circustance, do not shout at your men. This is something so absurdly bad imo, I would be personally ready to have some serious talks with officers who shout for no good reason. Did that sgt just talk while pts was active?
Ok cool, just tell em in the normal tune that pts is active. Dont shout at them howthey are useless. That only makes them despise you. "But... disipline must be hold!" You may say, but disipline can be something so much more potent. Disipline can be handed out by a single question of why
"Why did you rdm him?"
"Why did you insult him?"
Questions like that put the person to think about why they did anything. After asking that you should tell them that they could easily have asked some of your officers to hold sims for them, which in turn fills the need to kill and is actually usefull.

Also to add to sims, kidnapping
Kidnapping is something that you as an officer should do with your enlisted when ever you feel like being a bit of an ass. This should be used when you feel ok with stopping someone elses fun for what ever the kidnap time is. Though when your own are getting kidnapped, try to get em all into ts. This way you always have a direct way to reach em. Also, buddy system is godlike in this situation. Also on ts, all the channels should be accessed by you enlisted. This is because that way they have a less of a barrier to talk to you when they know when they know they can just hop in and talk.

Now this all is nice and stuff but what about war? That is the thing that can separate factions from becoming powerhouses. As enlisted would most likely want to be in the faction that wins, no?
And as we have already stated, enlisted are the most valuable thing you my have.

Well I got something for this too. Something I have some much wanted to push in the server, but never figured how to.
Squadron system.
How this would is simple:
You would only send out squads of five.
1 heavy (on the lmg class if possible)
2 Assult/cqb
1 sniper
1 medic
Now the thing that should be held up at all time is this:
No matter what situation, squads roster should never change. This way you can slowly create squads who can trust eachother fully and in turn exel in the battlefield. This could have a potential of turning a war around, since no entry faction is a match to a squad of battle-hardened buddies who know eachothers movement 100% of the time. With this, you should also train a squad to be able to work as any one of the jobs said above. Hell if you want go overboard, you can name your squads.
But anyways it is 2 am. This guide is 1070 words long with near 6k amount of letters. This shall be the first copy of this. In due time I will edit this, though I will start to store older version in my signature.

Good fundamentals in this, useful for new WO’s or high enlisted. But I don’t agree with the squads part, I believe playing on the server while talking to your faction members in teamspeak does the job well enough.

12 hours ago, Pump said:

But I don’t agree with the squads part, I believe playing on the server while talking to your faction members in teamspeak does the job well enough.

I mean, I kinda wrote it at like the last minute, so it nothing going for it.

Guest Gildarts

The main thing Ive learned as GA, If you cannot take criticism or listen to your officers; Decline the offer to become a leader.
As a leader you say should not be Set it stone, If the people under you think differently compromise or allow what they want.

If you cannot take the stress of people bugging you 24/7 about the stupidest shit or cannot take hateful words tossed at you, or being told you're shit for something you do even if it is the right choice then being a leader is not for you.

Just remember once your a leader if your not on for more than 10 hours a day your inactive. <--GG Community 

14 hours ago, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

The main thing Ive learned as GA, If you cannot take criticism or listen to your officers; Decline the offer to become a leader.
As a leader you say should not be Set it stone, If the people under you think differently compromise or allow what they want.

If you cannot take the stress of people bugging you 24/7 about the stupidest shit or cannot take hateful words tossed at you, or being told you're shit for something you do even if it is the right choice then being a leader is not for you.

Just remember once your a leader if your not on for more than 10 hours a day your inactive. <--GG Community 

Sounds like a pile of funnnn!!! I can’t wait to lead someday 

y33t I think the unnecessary hate people throw at leaders is dumb, and your not innactive if you don’t play every day as long as your on most days for like 2 hours and your maintaining your faction 

Edited by Brandon
On 5/24/2018 at 10:39 PM, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

I just saw this and you already know I had to do it to em.  The first 2 statements I agree with, but that third one I'm not gonna let slide. I'm pretty sure we all know who you are talking about and I'm gonna go ahead and address it. Seeing as you yourself isn't on too much or at least while I'm at work or you just don't talk to us scummy Russians but we take more than just their time spent on the server when we call them inactive or bad or at least I do. Some leaders who have been leaders for a considerably long time haven't really done much for their respective factions and their factions are suffering because of that. Factions that were once the fear of the opposition and could hold an OBJ by themselves alone have become glorified enlisted. Leaders leaving should not be seen as desertion or ruining the faction but as a passing of the torch. No two people on the server have the same ideas and some officers just follow what their leader says with every situation. Factions are like cars, you can change tires and different parts here and there but sooner or later you are gonna need to change the lifeline of the faction like oil.

• Like 1
Guest Gildarts
1 hour ago, Vibe said:

I just saw this and you already know I had to do it to em.  The first 2 statements I agree with, but that third one I'm not gonna let slide. I'm pretty sure we all know who you are talking about and I'm gonna go ahead and address it. Seeing as you yourself isn't on too much or at least while I'm at work or you just don't talk to us scummy Russians but we take more than just their time spent on the server when we call them inactive or bad or at least I do. Some leaders who have been leaders for a considerably long time haven't really done much for their respective factions and their factions are suffering because of that. Factions that were once the fear of the opposition and could hold an OBJ by themselves alone have become glorified enlisted. Leaders leaving should not be seen as desertion or ruining the faction but as a passing of the torch. No two people on the server have the same ideas and some officers just follow what their leader says with every situation. Factions are like cars, you can change tires and different parts here and there but sooner or later you are gonna need to change the lifeline of the faction like oil.

The inactive quote was directed toward myself XD. That was one of the lessons I learned. I was playing 2-5 hours a day and was "Inactive"

On 5/30/2018 at 11:09 AM, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

The inactive quote was directed toward myself XD. That was one of the lessons I learned. I was playing 2-5 hours a day and was "Inactive"

There are always going to be hateful people who no matter what you do, will attack you and belittle you just because you are you.

You can give people the sun, and they will still complain.

When the snakes start to sing, let them sing.

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

There are always going to be hateful people who no matter what you do, will attack you and belittle you just because you are you.

You can give people the sun, and they will still complain.

When the snakes start to sing, let them sing.

The snakes have been screaming for about 2 months now.