Spectating Suggestion

Description:  I am suggesting that we move the ability to spectate to be unlocked at Trial Admin. At the current moment, it is extremely difficult to catch hackers on the server. We have no Admins+ except for Gildarts. With this current ban wipe, I am expecting that a lot of older players will be hoping on the server and they might use old hacks that they got banned for in the first place. There have been cases recently when their would be a hacker on the server and everyone would know that this person was hacking but the staff members would not be able to do anything against the hacker because of how hard it is to get proof.

Reason: The only way really to catch a hacker at the current moment is to somehow run into them during the war and get the proof on video. But the chances of running into them on this big map and to also be recording at the same time is really small. Giving Trial Admins the ability to spectate would make it much easier to catch hackers on the server and make the server more enjoyable for players

Please feel free to leave your opinion below on what you think of this. Do not just leave a reaction because then nothing will happen with this suggestion. If you have and opinion on this topic then leave a -1 or +1 below.

Edited by AwesomeAidan
  • Like 2
  • Informative 5

I feel like when people are hacking it always takes a while even hours sometimes to issue a ban,  causing them still be able to fight in wars and just clear house. I feel like this would only be able to add more good than bad, considering it would be easier for staff to be able to follow players around when they are suspected of hacking.

+1

• Like 1

I've personally asked Gildarts why we don't have access to spectate the people we believe are hacking, and he gave a multitude of good reasons as to why it is.

1.) A system like that would be easy to abuse in that we could spectate any player anytime that we wanted to, and I imagine not everyone knows what to look for when spectating a hacker, therefore people get banned for just being good at the game.

2.) The higher staff have a very special way of catching script kiddies in action, and there's a good reason they won't share videos on how they do it or tell us how they do it. They like to keep it a close guarded secret. I know from talking with Gildarts that he has a very specific way that he catches people hacking, and he doesn't get caught watching them. Imagine how many people would though if they were given spectate. And then our method of catching hackers is found out and avoidable.

3.) To me honestly, it seems like if the lower staff were to get those abilities then a lot of us would be removed from staff for incompetency or something along those lines. Not that we are incompetent, but the more people that know about the system, the more likely they are to fuck it up and expose, or abuse the system.

We don't need to spectate. We handle Mass, RDM, FailRP, and basically uphold the rules of the server to the best of our ability. I say leave the Hackers to Gildarts and co.

Guest Gildarts
7 hours ago, AwesomeAidan said:

Description:  I am suggesting that we move the ability to spectate to be unlocked at Trial Admin. At the current moment, it is extremely difficult to catch hackers on the server. We have no Admins+ except for Gildarts. With this current ban wipe, I am expecting that a lot of older players will be hoping on the server and they might use old hacks that they got banned for in the first place. There have been cases recently when their would be a hacker on the server and everyone would know that this person was hacking but the staff members would not be able to do anything against the hacker because of how hard it is to get proof.

Reason: The only way really to catch a hacker at the current moment is to somehow run into them during the war and get the proof on video. But the chances of running into them on this big map and to also be recording at the same time is really small. Giving Trial Admins the ability to spectate would make it much easier to catch hackers on the server and make the server more enjoyable for players

Please feel free to leave your opinion below on what you think of this. Do not just leave a reaction because then nothing will happen with this suggestion. If you have and opinion on this topic then leave a -1 or +1 below.

No, Heres the simple reason. People using any BASIC hack; can detect you spectating them; because of the way the spectate is coded. The spectate would be useless to you, its practically useless right now. Its a feature you earn anyways. 

24 minutes ago, Gildarts said:

There have been cases recently when their would be a hacker on the server and everyone would know that this person was hacking but the staff members would not be able to do anything against the hacker because of how hard it is to get proof.

I mean I use to  just ban them and it usually worked out

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Milton said:

1.) A system like that would be easy to abuse in that we could spectate any player anytime that we wanted to, and I imagine not everyone knows what to look for when spectating a hacker, therefore people get banned for just being good at the game.

Currently, to be able to spectate, you have to be a Admin+. What i am suggesting is that we lower it to being a Trial Admin. To be able to reach the rank of Trial Admin, you have to not only wait 2 Months, but the higher ups have to trust you. Once someone reaches Trial Admin, they already have at least 4 months of being a staff member under their belt and most of the time it is more then 4 months. I feel like Trial Admin would know not to abuse this function. It would also be pretty easy to identify a hacker while spectating them if you take video and also match the video up with the damage logs showing how many shots they hit and how much damage they did.

2.) The higher staff have a very special way of catching script kiddies in action, and there's a good reason they won't share videos on how they do it or tell us how they do it. They like to keep it a close guarded secret. I know from talking with Gildarts that he has a very specific way that he catches people hacking, and he doesn't get caught watching them. Imagine how many people would though if they were given spectate. And then our method of catching hackers is found out and avoidable.

I really have no clue on how this secret way of catching hackers would be spoiled if Trial Admins were given the ability to spectate. Spectating and the method that Gildarts use are two entire things and have not much coloration to each other. I really did not understand what you meant at the end of this paragraph when you say "Imagine how many people would though if they were given spectate. And then our method of catching hackers is found out and avoidable." I know what secret method Gildarts uses to catch hackers and giving Trial Admins the ability to spectate would not spoil it.

3.) To me honestly, it seems like if the lower staff were to get those abilities then a lot of us would be removed from staff for incompetency or something along those lines. Not that we are incompetent, but the more people that know about the system, the more likely they are to fuck it up and expose, or abuse the system.

Again, it takes 4+ months to get to the rank of Trial Admin. By that time, staff members are well adjusted to what is expected of them and they understand what would happen if they abused. I also kinda understand what you mean by "abuse the system" but if you think about it, what really would they get out of spectating a player. And if they were using it to abuse, most of the time when a staff member sees another staff member start to spectate, they ask in staff chat who and why that staff member is spectating someone and if that staff member does not provide a valid reason then they can take it up with Gildarts and tell him about the staff member who is abusing then Gildarts would deal with that staff member

1 hour ago, Gildarts said:

People using any BASIC hack; can detect you spectating them; because of the way the spectate is coded.

Well shit, i had no clue. Thanks

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines