DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Peacetime Content Suggestions P1. Kidnaps

Kendal

1 hour ago, Kendal said:

making a couple of different suggestions threads in the interest of adding more to do

I've been writing a lot of research papers lately, and there's this neat psychological phenomenon called forced compliance, and it might be an important concept to consider going forward with making suggestions of this nature. Forced compliance occurs when an individual performs an action that is inconsistent with his or her beliefs. The behavior can't be changed, since it was already in the past, so dissonance will need to be reduced by re-evaluating their attitude to what they have done.

Basically, people will change their attitude towards a task, like kidnapping in this case, if they're obligated to do it. The point is to ensure that the peacetime to-do's aren't void in reward, and have some level of necessity. If people are required to do these things to guarantee whatever goal that's set, they'll be inclined to do so, and enjoy doing so. (Kidnapping isn't a great example, but the principle is applicable to a lot of tasks in the relative context). 

//Kendal DM'd me for clarification, here is my response.

28 minutes ago, shrimp said:

Things like kidnapping, raids, and other peacetime activities have no tangible gain, basically. The big issue with changing how these things work, or adding things like them, is that some people resist the idea of doing chores, which is why they're rarely implemented. 

That being said, these tasks need to have some sort of reward or purpose, otherwise they're just going to get drowned out by war like they've almost always been, because it's a meaningless exercise at that point, in which you're more likely to receive a warn than actually have fun. 

The forced compliance point is that people will come around to changes they might initially resist, if they're required to do them in some way.

Edited by shrimp
clarification
  • 300 IQ 2
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 1
  • Forums Moderator

+1 This would add a different outcome then the basic sell/kill the kidnapped player and you could build an entire event off just one person getting kidnapped. Also removing the counter advert would make much more sense.

• Disagree 1

I have to say it’s a great idea it will add to the kidnapping so much more than just coming to a guy “you are kidnapped” and that’s it. The guy who will get kidnapped will have time to react to the situation better and will try to escape as it happens in real life. Great idea +1 from me

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...