DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Roll System Change

Toyto

Description

The current system allows an interrogator to roll against the interrogatee to force them to give information. If the interrogator wins they get information, if they lose nothing happens. While I have a few ideas on how to improve this system I would like to start with 2 simple additions.
If the interrogatee wins the roll, they have the option of providing false information to the interrogator. This information, just like the information gained upon the interrogator winning, must be taken as valid information in RP. For example, it is common to document information obtained through kidnaps so any information obtained through a kidnap with my change implemented needs to be documented despite it's validity. For those worrying that this wouldn't happen, it would be very easy to enforce. A simple look through the documentation history should yield a roughly 50-50 split between valid and invalid information. While real life often differs from statistics, any discrepancies should be fairly minor and extremely obvious.

In order to prevent circumvention of this addition I request that parties must obtain at least 3 pieces of corroborating information, whether they be valid or invalid, to act upon it. For example, to assassinate the COL of TSFU, SOCOM would have to interrogate ~6 people to get 3 pieces of corroborating information in order to host that PK.

Reasoning
Many people are unsatisfied with the current roll system. I believe these two basic additions would add more nuance to information gathering. People would be forced to get information from multiple sources in order to find correct information rather than magically knowing that they acquired valid info. So this not only lengthens the process of assassination but also turns the process into an investigation rather than something that can be done easily within an hour. This change also gives a role to interrogatee who can derail assassination attempts by providing false info. This would mean that faulty information could also be used in these scenarios which could have interesting repercussions in resulting RP.

Finally I would like to add that support for this change as already been garnered in the discord.

https://streamable.com/qtgzqp

Edited by Toyto
Fixed Coloring
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

+1

While I do support this, I hope that interrogations haven’t been consisting of people sitting the other person in a chair and rolling to find their identity, there should be some type of RP happening between both parties that could influence the rolls.

Regardless of that, the only problem I have with this is that if false information is to be given away, it should not be something obviously wrong such as “My name is PVT Balls Itch” since people will try to make the case that it is so outlandish to have a name such as that they wouldn’t need to document it.

• Agree 1

I was planning on making a suggestion about the roll intel system, and I have another addition that I believes adds a bit more depth to the system

SOC Specialty
Essentially, we should add roll modifiers, based on which faction you are in, and your status in it. These would add on top of each player's roll number, giving them a little bit of buffer. For example, being in Delta Force would grant you +10 to any roll, and if you are an officer, then you get another +5 (example values)

Example Values:

I put together a mock table of the values that may be added on top of roll. Two things important to note. Roll values cancel out (two T1 officers in a roll against eachother both have +15, so this would cancel out). Certain battalions in SOC factions can also boost roll chances, to increase the emphasis on specialization, for example, 18F (green beret intelligence division) would have the same roll chance as a DF enlisted. Any "Intelligence battalion" in any SOC faction can add +10. These values do not stack.

11B 0
11A 5
18B 5
18F 10
18A 10
75R 5
75R Officer 10
DF 10
DF Officer 15

Tali Enlisted 0
Tali Officer 5
055th 5
055th Officer 10
TSFU 5
TSFU Officer 10
B313 10
313 Officer 15

+1 for Toyto's proposed change, and it would also be nice to consider the roll modifiers.

10 hours ago, Fonza said:

While I do support this, I hope that interrogations haven’t been consisting of people sitting the other person in a chair and rolling to find their identity, there should be some type of RP happening between both parties that could influence the rolls.

Definitely, this is simply addressing an aspect of the rolls.

10 hours ago, Fonza said:

Regardless of that, the only problem I have with this is that if false information is to be given away, it should not be something obviously wrong such as “My name is PVT Balls Itch” since people will try to make the case that it is so outlandish to have a name such as that they wouldn’t need to document it.

I hadn't considered this. I suppose if someone was giving names like this it would warrant a failRP warn.

2 hours ago, Kurtle said:

SOC Specialty
Essentially, we should add roll modifiers, based on which faction you are in, and your status in it. These would add on top of each player's roll number, giving them a little bit of buffer. For example, being in Delta Force would grant you +10 to any roll, and if you are an officer, then you get another +5 (example values)

This was one of the aforementioned ideas I had that I was saving for later. I was going to make a fleshed out "roll modifier" system with base stuff like that and other actions as well. So I totally support this, not sure if it's tacked onto my suggestion though.

Edited by Toyto
On 6/27/2022 at 9:54 AM, Toyto said:

In order to prevent circumvention of this addition I request that parties must obtain at least 3 pieces of corroborating information, whether they be valid or invalid, to act upon it. For example, to assassinate the COL of TSFU, SOCOM would have to interrogate ~6 people to get 3 pieces of corroborating information in order to host that PK.

Before I accept something like this, Would you explain this more too me? Like how would you get the information out of people? like how many rolls would you get? 

7 hours ago, SirSmity said:

Before I accept something like this, Would you explain this more too me? Like how would you get the information out of people? like how many rolls would you get? 

You would still be trying to get information from your three rolls. The only change is when you wish to use any information for an operation you would need at least 3 instances of that information. This makes it harder to metagame in situations where someone gets a bunch of invalid info then randomly deciding that the 1 piece of valid information they have is the one they wish to act on.

5 hours ago, Toyto said:

You would still be trying to get information from your three rolls. The only change is when you wish to use any information for an operation you would need at least 3 instances of that information. This makes it harder to metagame in situations where someone gets a bunch of invalid info then randomly deciding that the 1 piece of valid information they have is the one they wish to act on.

Will the person being interrogated get the bonuses too against the person interrogated them? (just to make sure idk if I read that some where) But also giving 18F an advantage isn't fair so we aren't doing that. 

7 minutes ago, SirSmity said:

Will the person being interrogated get the bonuses too against the person interrogated them? (just to make sure idk if I read that some where) But also giving 18F an advantage isn't fair so we aren't doing that. 

You are talking about my part of the suggestion now. The way it works is, both sides have their bonuses included in any roll type situation, so if two people with +10 are on opposite sides of an interaction, they will get cancelled out. If a DF officer(+15) interrogates a TSFU Enlisted(+5), the bonus would only be +10 in favor of the DF officer.

Giving sub battalions or MOS specializations would not just be for 18F. I'm saying that all SOC factions would have access to an intel gathering division if they wish to implement it, 18F is just GB's version of it. This gives them the opportunity to add +5 to their roll, giving different battalions different purposes. It wouldn't be unfair for GB to get an advantage, because every single SOC faction has the option to give some of Its players an advantage. I am still 100 percent fine with this suggestion being implemented even this specialization is not added.

Edited by Kurtle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Accepted
I will make an additional post about this. But I do know that if the other soc factions get specializations in intelligence it might be possible for me to add in the thing like 18F. Once I make that post we can start using these rolls for interrogations and such.
@Fonza please lock and move to accepted.

• Like 2