Suggestion: Change server title to a more accurate description

BobFake

As suggested by @Glorbnobwho handled my unban request in a fair and just manner. I have created this separate thread regarding the server title and will be sharing my views about how inaccurate it is. I am grateful for their efforts in reviewing the situation in a unbiased way and acknowledging the staff member in question failed to show I have broken the server rules. Most of what will be mentioned here is repeated from my unban request thread.

Description:

Now with that being said, I will sharing my views on the server title description as it is highly inaccurate and misleading. It should be changed to something honest and transparent in accurately reflecting the server’s content.

Reasoning:

The DarkRP server has the following server title description: “▶ GarnetGaming.net DarkRP ▌ No Downloads|UNBOX|Vanilla”

No Downloads”

The first glaring obvious problem when I joined the server there was a lot of content needed be downloaded this contradicts the “No Downloads” claim in the description. Whilst it can be argued that is common and most RP server have content that needs to be downloaded by players. It is blatant false advertising and misleading to say “No Downloads”. This is an inconvenience for players who may have limited internet bandwidth or slow download speeds. By claiming that there are ‘No Downloads", the server is essentially misleading potential players and creating a false expectation of the server. Instead what would be better alternative is “Less Downloads”, “FastDL” or “Fast Downloads”.

Vanilla”

“Vanilla” in the context of gaming typically refers to a game or game mode that has no modifications or additions. In the context of Garry's Mod (GMOD), "Vanilla DarkRP" refers to the default DarkRP game mode with no additional addons or modifications. Whilst additions make the server enjoyable it is an inaccurate claim as there is a lot of addons and heavy modifications to the server such as a point-shop, level system and more changes such as loot crates. Instead of “Vanilla”, the correct words could be “Custom”, “Customized”, “High Content”, or “Modified”. Alternatively the server description could list out the modifications or addons that are included, so that players have a clear understanding of what to expect.

Why should it be changed?

The title description shouldn't mislead players because it can create a negative impression of the server owner and the server community as a whole. As well it can mislead potential players into joining the server with false expectations, which can lead to frustration and disappointment. The server already has a high number of active players there should not be any need to continue to mislead players. Lying in a server title is not ethical which can erode that trust and make players less likely to return.

Additional Information:

Suggestions

Here are some potential suggestions which can be changed and improved upon:

"▶ GarnetGaming.net DarkRP ▌ Modified RP | UNBOX | Fast Downloads"

"▶ GarnetGaming.net DarkRP ▌ Custom RP | UNBOX | FastDL | Active Staff"

"▶ GarnetGaming.net DarkRP ▌ High Content Server | Custom Addons | Active Community | Less Downloads"

Edited by BobFake
  • Informative 1