Allow Bases to extend two shoulder widths out of door

Jbhh

Description: I am suggesting that We allow bases to be built up to two player model shoulder widths outside of the door. This is really easily enforced and prevents minge. 
Building is starting to get a little bit stale I think most people would tend to agree being able to build outside just enough to put an airlock opens up a lot of potentional
for bases that dont have a lot of potential now. There is already people who do things similar to this with things like keypads in baskets outside or just full out airlocks
but it still isn't allowed. The only concern is that it could lead to minging, but I don't believe this is true at all with the limit of 2 shoulder widths it is really easy
to prevent anything crazy.

Edited by Hama
Title Edit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • DarkRP Management Team

While I do agree that building with the same formula we've had in place for years can get boring and repetitive, with the exception of bases whose boundaries have already been extended via the base extension forum post; there are still many unused possibilities when it comes to base design that don't require the rules to be changed to accommodate for a lack of fresh ideas.

The important thing about the rules in their current form is that most bases follow the same general formula when it comes to what is allowed and what is not. There are clearly defined features in the map, (the doorways or fences) that clearly show where the limit is. Once we introduce a vague variable like "1 meter, 2 player spaces" or something like that, then it becomes everyone's responsibility to interpret that size, leading to varying distances bulging outside base limits. Of course, people are inevitably going to jump on me with "use gmod block sizes like the 6x6 hobo hut !!" But even this referenced size is questionable or hard to understand by our inexperienced and younger players. 

Finally, with such a interpretation-reliant rule, it would become difficult for staff to enforce, consistency of answers may even be questionable among the staff team. 

For the sake of consistency and prevention of loopholes/misuse, -1

• Disagree 1
37 minutes ago, Merrick said:

While I do agree that building with the same formula we've had in place for years can get boring and repetitive, with the exception of bases whose boundaries have already been extended via the base extension forum post; there are still many unused possibilities when it comes to base design that don't require the rules to be changed to accommodate for a lack of fresh ideas.

The important thing about the rules in their current form is that most bases follow the same general formula when it comes to what is allowed and what is not. There are clearly defined features in the map, (the doorways or fences) that clearly show where the limit is. Once we introduce a vague variable like "1 meter, 2 player spaces" or something like that, then it becomes everyone's responsibility to interpret that size, leading to varying distances bulging outside base limits. Of course, people are inevitably going to jump on me with "use gmod block sizes like the 6x6 hobo hut !!" But even this referenced size is questionable or hard to understand by our inexperienced and younger players. 

Finally, with such a interpretation-reliant rule, it would become difficult for staff to enforce, consistency of answers may even be questionable among the staff team. 

For the sake of consistency and prevention of loopholes/misuse, -1

I disagree with all of this, This is something that is super easily enforced, We make people take down hobo shacks larger than a 6x6 every single day. We have a whole addendum to the rules for special areas you can build outside of the door. It is really easy to stack yourself twice for the two shoulder widths. This is a standard rule on some other servers. Lets be honest as well what type of loophole/misuse are we talking about? I really can't think of a single way that this could be misused. 

I also disagree we have unused possibilities. Look I build bases that are pretty creative I would like to think and I am running out of ideas that aren't just more of the same in a new spot. I have built in every single area that is unique or cool. This would open up tons of creative ideas.

I do think that instead of doing shoulder widths it could be managed by block lengths i.e. can not be longer than a 1x3 extended out. 

Sorry if this came off as aggressive, I just think some players on this server are too stuck in the norms, Its a vanilla server where we aren't going to get massive content updates ever and doing small things like this motivates players to come back, and engage in the server more.

Edited by Hama

Neutral

I think if bases are able to have keypads in baskets or you can kill anyone cracking that hasn't past the doors then it could work. But the reason I don't think it would be good is if its 2 shoulder widths, that's about a 1x1'ish plate which then pushes onto the sidewalks which I think for sake of RP is a bit weird and wouldn't work in a few hotel spots on the map such as the one by the basketball court. Though I mean, if bases could just get pushed into the sidewalks then that would work. 

This also means an adjustment to the KOS rules since it only applies to interiors of the base, which means past the doors. 

• 4 weeks later...

+1 seeing as I already see the rules being technically broken in this regards (usually not to anyone's dismay).

If we are concerned about interpretation then maybe rephrase to something like 'can extend to edge of sidewalk, and be the width of the physical base structure' (thin covering the building to the immediate left in spawn with a layer around it extending from sidewalk to road.)

In my honest opinion most bases/dupes regularly used are borderline un-raidable for even veteran players in parties, let alone a new player using thief class with dealer purchased weapons.
This wouldn't really make that much worse so I see nothing objectively wrong with this suggestion.

As much as I love building bases and buying cool dupes, I wish things were just a tad bit more simple to help lower the skill ceiling for new players and potentially help encourage and foster more roleplay scenarios.

just an opinion

Edited by Dimebag
had an idea to ammend post
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...