DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Car Issues Thread

Expect this to be expanded on later, as I'm on mobile. Proggy mentioned for someone to post this during a late night TS call.

There are several issues with the car plugin we switched to with the addition of purchasable vehicles.

Issue #1: Proximity based return.

I get what we were going for here, and on its own it's not a problem, though is still annoying when someone jumps in your car and drives away. What makes it problematic is what leads to my next point.

Issue #2: Car's do not naturally despawn.

I believe they should be after a certain period of time. Basically once you spawn a car in, if you want to spawn another one in without finding where it was taken, you have to rejoin the server. Minor annoyance in peacetime, considerable annoyance in war. I believe this is intended for destroyed vehicles, but it's rare that cars I spawn in get destroyed as they are only used during the initial push because of Issue #1.

Issue #3: General Bugs

I have heard via word of mouth that cars will fail to spawn in. I have seen personally cars getting stuck inside of each other, which is probably just related to this map's spawnpoints. Also, I believe the US NPC sends you flying into the air when you spawn cars in at a particular position, but I haven't seen this directly. Hopefully the community can chime in on this.

Possible Fixes: 

I like the purchased cars, honestly, probably just dev time to resolve/modify the above. Allow returning the vehicle from anywhere is a start. If I knew how the "cooldown" for vehicles worked (the code) I could give further insight.

Note, this is a rough draft. I will do formatting/expand on ideas when I'm at a PC.

Edited by PraetorDon
  • Like 2
  • 300 IQ 1
  • The Garnut

Thank you for making this post. These are all sounding like incredibly easy things to fix, I will just have to re-create them and/or be sent a video of the occurrence.

As for your second point, as far as Natural despawn timers, it sounds like some admin+ deliberately messed around with the config and broke it without letting anybody know, because that is quite literally a server-sided dial you can turn, and if it hits 0 or -1, despawns will cease to happen. (they're a default feature) Granted, this only happens when the car explodes.

We currently have no feature that causes your vehicle to despawn unless it is severely damaged, is this something you and the community were interested in?

• Informative 1
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, Nutter said:

Thank you for making this post. These are all sounding like incredibly easy things to fix, I will just have to re-create them and/or be sent a video of the occurrence.

As for your second point, as far as Natural despawn timers, it sounds like some admin+ deliberately messed around with the config and broke it without letting anybody know, because that is quite literally a server-sided dial you can turn, and if it hits 0 or -1, despawns will cease to happen. (they're a default feature) Granted, this only happens when the car explodes.

For the record, I am unable to recreate the "getting launched into the air" bug, I will ask around about this. Found a clip though.

https://streamable.com/cosw9y

Car's not spawning are likely related to Issues #1 or #2, and forgetting they have a car on the map. I haven't experienced it, so hoping someone who has can chime in.

Car's getting stuck, I have definitely seen on AFG side as recently as this weekend where two cars spawned too close to one another, the wheel of one car got stuck in the body of another, and a freakish abomination was made. Not the best image, but I can't seem to find my clips of the issue (new pc, this screenshot was taken after it had already occurred).

spacer.png

I was able to recreate this with Shwade. There are four "slots" total for car spawns. If a player stands in the second car slot, and a car remains in the first slot, it will spawn it in slot 1, rather than slot 3 like I figured it would. Normal behavior spawns the car in slot 3 if there is a car in slot 2. See the video if I didn't explain it well enough. Have not yet performed the same test on US side.

3 hours ago, Nutter said:

We currently have no feature that causes your vehicle to despawn unless it is severely damaged, is this something you and the community were interested in?

I'd be interested in a natural despawn timer where the car does not have to be destroyed. I am not 100% sure how I'd implement the checks for that though, maybe after X minutes where the owner hasn't interacted with it? I am not sure of the variables here. As far as the community goes, I've linked this post in the discord, so we will see what their opinion is.

Edited by PraetorDon
  • MilitaryRP Administration Team

I had found a issue from nearby cars that essentially does the exhaust error you get when first loading in, and instead of stopping, it persists till ya crash. I'll grab a medal of it in a sec or at least a screenshot of it, and it happened during the tourny for some reason. 

• 3 weeks later...