DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Stop recurring payments

mossly

• StarWarsRP Management Team

To have a PayPal account in the first place, you need to be 18 or older. Any purchase must be done with explicit parental permission. This is their ToS.

Also, I'm surprised that some people go months, even a whole year without checking their PayPal or bank activity a single time. Quite honestly, that's financial illiteracy.

Edited by Harus
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, Harus said:

To have a PayPal account in the first place, you need to be 18 or older. Any purchase must be done with explicit parental permission. This is their ToS.

Also, I'm surprised that some people go months, even a whole year without checking their PayPal or bank activity a single time. Quite honestly, that's financial illiteracy.

Oh, so we only want kids with their parents' permission to give us money? This is news to me.

5 hours ago, PraetorDon said:

Yeah, I was coming off my meds so I blanked on this.  Makes sense.

YouTube Premium, Spotify, Amazon Prime, Grubhub+, Netflix, Old School Runescape are all just a few examples of reoccuring subscription-based revenue. In the professional sector there are many, many more. 

That's not this industry. This industry is gmod DarkRp servers, unless you also want to start offering the ability to cancel recurring payments via the Garnet Store (like YouTube, etc) which would similarly solve the problem. Those companies also get quite heavily and publicly attacked when they make it hard to cancel their services.

• Cringe 1
33 minutes ago, mossly said:

That's not this industry. This industry is gmod DarkRp servers

It's very much a game server, you are correct. It is also someone's livelihood.

For Garnet, paying the host for the game, web, and databases on bare metal servers have a reoccurring cost. For the host, they have to power and store those bare metal servers somewhere, a reoccurring cost. And so it continues.

33 minutes ago, mossly said:

Unless you also want to start offering the ability to cancel recurring payments via the Garnet Store (like YouTube, etc) which would similarly solve the problem. Those companies also get quite heavily and publicly attacked when they make it hard to cancel their services.

PayPal offers a way to cancel these reoccurring purchases. A way that is fairly easy without hassle. They process the payments, they provide a way to cancel them. YouTube(Google) is large enough to work/process payments directly with banks. They have teams of people dedicated to processing and canceling payments.

While I don't like the concept of reoccurring monthly subscriptions as a whole, that's how it is. Once the big players start doing it, it trickles down.

Edited by PraetorDon
  • Winner 1
  • StarWarsRP Management Team

Garnet store: "30 days - reocurring payment"
Initial PayPal screen: "You will use X for an automatic payment", "agree and subscribe"

After clicking "agree and subcribe": "You set up an automatic payment"

E-Mail that follows payment: "This is a confirmation of your automatic payment"

• Like 2
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Winner 1
  • Community Director

Locking this as I mentioned, Garnet is not able to change it at this time. We do our best to give warning (as does PayPal), and support for after the fact on how to cancel. Keep an eye on your finances. 

Worst case scenario, if you're really strapped for the credits and you left it go for 30 days, you can make a ticket and kindly ask for a refunding. We just did it for someone one SWRP last week (Tuesday), and another one today.