Computer build

6 hours ago, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

The other option is to look for 9xx cards since theyll be on the cheaper side and used now.

I'd like to add that at the very least, a 970 will be needed. This is a good alternative to the 1060 if you can find a good seller on ebay.

• The Garnut
39 minutes ago, IAreNemesis said:

I'd like to add that at the very least, a 970 will be needed. This is a good alternative to the 1060 if you can find a good seller on ebay.

I cannot stress enough how much I would avoid purchasing a 4 years old GPU. You'd probably be better off with a stable 1050Ti lol.

5 minutes ago, Garnet said:

I cannot stress enough how much I would avoid purchasing a 4 years old GPU. You'd probably be better off with a stable 1050Ti lol.

That's why I said if you can get a good seller. The 970 is still way ahead of the 1050 ti.

Obviously risk comes with buying used.

Guest Gildarts
14 minutes ago, IAreNemesis said:

That's why I said if you can get a good seller. The 970 is still way ahead of the 1050 ti.

Obviously risk comes with buying used.

There is zero risks if you buy on ebay, because you can send it back if its not as described. Cards or any PC component that dosnt move usually have a huge life span and don't die often unless abused. The only thing I personally would worry about is the fans on them. But I own almost every card from 2xx-7xx + the two first titans. Bought almost all of them used and all of them are fully functional only had to send one back that I bought on a "Might work" scenario. A fue of you have seen my shelf full of thousands of parts.

26 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Define "Stable" cause I may be face palming. 

Also I'm not saying that buying a used GPU is end all be all. Personally Ide still suggest to buy a new card like I did my titans. But some people care more about performance then if its the newest thing on the block.

For example: You can buy a GTX 980 TI for around 250-340 USD unless its a specific model, I just searched and found a EVGA hybrid water cooled one that selling for 315. A normal GTX 980ti is about 5-10% faster than a GTX 1070. A hybrid water cooled 980ti would probably bump that to around 20% give or take depending on thermals and GPU boost or your own defined overclock. 

I just like to have all options on the table. But in this instance with the GPU shortage I would opt for example the 980ti Just because its a solid card proven to be good.

• The Garnut
1 hour ago, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

There is zero risks if you buy on ebay, because you can send it back if its not as described. Cards or any PC component that dosnt move usually have a huge life span and don't die often unless abused. The only thing I personally would worry about is the fans on them. But I own almost every card from 2xx-7xx + the two first titans. Bought almost all of them used and all of them are fully functional only had to send one back that I bought on a "Might work" scenario. A fue of you have seen my shelf full of thousands of parts.

A 4 year card is NOT going to perform like a new card (regardless of specs) due to driver support, rather than physical degregation.

2 hours ago, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

Define "Stable" cause I may be face palming. 

Read above.

Drivers is everything when it comes to game performance.

2 hours ago, Gildarts | GarnetGaming said:

here is zero risks if you buy on ebay

Haha, i'm glad you had good experience with eBay, I ended up with a brand new, non-operating Samsung Galaxy 

Guest Gildarts
6 minutes ago, Garnet said:

A 4 year card is NOT going to perform like a new card (regardless of specs) due to driver support, rather than physical degregation.

Read above.

Drivers is everything when it comes to game performance.

Haha, i'm glad you had good experience with eBay, I ended up with a brand new, non-operating Samsung Galaxy 

Well, Nvidia still supports ALL cards at 4xx+ and maybe older so I doubt they will drop a 9xx series anytime soon.

You could have sent it back, if he refuses ebay will force a return (Somtimes you can keep the item and get your money aswell)

(not being a dick just informing)

Edited by Gildarts
Guest Gildarts
3 minutes ago, Evity said:

From what I saw 970's and 1060's are around the same price used on eBay if anything the 1060's about $10-20 more expensive but in my opinion I'd be worth it to just buy the 1060 considering it's around 14% faster anyway and like garnet said previously they'll support drivers for the card longer. But I do think they keep cards supported for a good while.

The cards will long be outdated by the time they drop support to be honest. But I agree if a new card meets your criteria buy it so no  possible headaches unless your my cousin and have to RMA 3 times.