Printers Overheat

Entity

A big problem with printers at the moment is the fact that we never know if someone's printers are overheating, especially if we are doing something IRL. This is something I have to spam people with because they are usually doing something. If we had some kind of noise to let us know then we would be able to actually know if our printers or our friends printers are overheating because using chat to spam us isn't the best way to let us know.

Pros:
- More raids since we can manage printers easier
- More bases since people can hear their printers when they are overheating
- Friends don't have to trust one person to manage their printers
- Banks are more common

Cons:
- I can't think of any other than people knowing if someone has printers easier? However that's already easy to know.

2 hours ago, Kicks said:

+1 to the idea, but implementation might be tricky.

What he's saying is right. I do support the idea of knowing when printers that are not your own are overheating, like a semi-claim system that notifies you, or a certain trigger. But something of this caliber would ultimately involve a new printer addon.

I +1 the idea, but I don't want to rush or force Garnet to fix this problem. Most of the time, I have no trouble taking care of other people's printers, and if Kicks and I are basing together, you know how many printers we have. 

I also +1 new printers. Maybe not the original ones that were extremely OP, but maybe some middle ground printers that still served the same functionality as the old ones (I.E. VIP upgrades and regular cooler installation), but contained some new perks such as if you install a cooler on someone else's printer, you are now notified of overheating. 

Or, and this is a stretch - give cameras back. Us staff will just have to be more on our game, looking for camera exploits, or quite possible Garnet or Evity can just make cameras unmovable once placed. This isn't a suggestion, just a far stretched idea that could work if most people on the server wouldn't abuse it.

Just my two cents.

• 300 IQ 1
1 hour ago, Bread God said:

if you install a cooler on someone else's printer, you are now notified of overheating. 

I love that idea a whole lot. I hate when someone steals my printer and I'm the one who gets spam notifications that my printer needs cooled.

1 hour ago, Bread God said:

Or, and this is a stretch - give cameras back. Garnet or Evity can just make cameras unmovable once placed.

Or have a thing that the camera doesn't work unless there is a certain "hinge" that is either placed on the world or a prop (that can't noclip through other props) and cameras can't work unless placed on this "hinge". So basically you'd have to freeze the hinge onto a prop or the world then it allows you to see through it, and is completely frozen from you until it is destroyed or you leave.

A better solution to this would be to implement the ability to add other owners to the printer (or even an option to automatically add party members to it), (with the ability to disable it of course) and upon adding them to the printer they will receive the same alerts as the initial owner would. This would eliminate the annoyance of any passerby.

• 300 IQ 1
  • Winner 1
3 hours ago, evity said:

A better solution to this would be to implement the ability to add other owners to the printer (or even an option to automatically add party members to it), (with the ability to disable it of course) and upon adding them to the printer they will receive the same alerts as the initial owner would. This would eliminate the announce of any passerby.

See but I think this and the "buying coolers make you recieve alerts" ideas would be great, is this a thing that could happen?

• 3 weeks later...

+1 oh yes please, I actually overhear players in the community when they ask me and other people how we make so much money. When we bring up printers, they do not like the idea because they always say that it's too expensive and my printers always blow up when I'm rp'ing.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 I don't see this as impossible. Make it so when the printer reaches a certain number (eg 65C) it would trigger the (purchasable?) alarm. This would provoke raids (which don't happen often enough in my opinion) and you could be doing dishes or something and HEAR the alarm through your speakers or something.

• 5 weeks later...

+1 good idea a pager or something you could buy on the printer, or maybe from a black market dealer or something to give that role more use. Also adding party members automatically good idea. And maybe add more types of printers maybe a bad one an adverage one and a good one for VIP only.