Increasing Cap Zone Sizes

Viva

As the title says, I think the cap zones for the objectives are way too small. In particular: Embassy and Boardwalk.

Suggestion #1: Extend the cap zone on Embassy to encompass the entire main room and ideally, the offices above it as well. At the moment, everyone is forced to stand in the middle of the room to even cap Embassy (this leads to Embassy being capped 10 minutes into war as opposed to like 4 minutes in).

Suggestion #2: I fucking despise Boardwalk with every fiber of my being. So I've been trying to think of ways that can somehow make it better. Here's what I've come up with: Increase the cap zone so it covers Town as well as Boardwalk or just move the entire objective to Town itself. I find Town much more fun to fight in than Boardwalk, because I don't get exposed to 50,000 sniper angles all at once.

If you think I missed something or want to add something, please do.

Edited by Viva
  • Like 8
9 minutes ago, Viva said:

Suggestion #1:

+1, Embassy cap zone makes it feel really wonky.

9 minutes ago, Viva said:

Suggestion #2:

-1, Boardwalk is really unique to me and allows for combat to be focused around the whole middle of the map as opposed to single areas. It makes for a good objective to send both a SOC group and entry as you need people holding areas other than just the Boardwalk. It makes clearing it really dynamic and frankly if you swapped it to be Town, it would lead to a whole height advantage struggle because of how low town is compared to the terrain around it.

• Winner 2

+1 for suggestion 2, BW is a shit OBJ it would be very interesting and add more flavor if we extended it out more or we could remove BW all together and just make it Town

I don’t know how to feel about #1 because that seems like a place where people would just sit there and camp. But that also might be interesting to add so I’m gonna hold off on it and see what other people think and maybe look at how it’s laid out a little more

• Cringe 1
1 minute ago, Pencil said:

it would lead to a whole height advantage struggle because of how low town is compared to the terrain around it.

I feel like there is already a height advantage struggle considering there's two mountains on either side of Boardwalk and one right above it on RU side. But I understand what you're getting it; Town is in a bit of a valley.

Considering some recent statements, I think the capture zones were set up deliberately with the intention to slowing down the pace of combat. Because you can't just rush in, sit in a corner and cap the point for Embassy and especially Boardwalk, if forces both the player and the team to organize their pushes a little bit. No ninja-defusals in this town. 

• Like 2
  • 300 IQ 1
11 minutes ago, shrimp said:

Considering some recent statements, I think the capture zones were set up deliberately with the intention to slowing down the pace of combat. Because you can't just rush in, sit in a corner and cap the point for Embassy and especially Boardwalk, if forces both the player and the team to organize their pushes a little bit. No ninja-defusals in this town. 

He put it perfectly. 

-1 to this suggestion entirely

51 minutes ago, shrimp said:

I get what you're trying to say and I agree with it for Boardwalk, but the Embassy cap point is just genuinely too small. I don't agree with Viva when he said the cap point should be extended to the offices, but as of right now the cap point should be expanded a little to fit the main room a bit better.

+1 to increasing Embassy cap point size

-1 to expanding the Embassy cap point beyond the main room

-1 to expanding/messing with the Boardwalk cap point

• Like 1

1+ To expanding the capping point of boardwalk.That is one of the main reasons to why I hate boardwalk. The cap point is exposed to every angel and it's easy to get sniped and that's why I almost never go on the cap point on Boardwalk but instead snipe. Expanding the cap point to town would be a good idea and I think that would be more fun. 

1- To expanding embassy to the offices. At first I thought that would be a good idea but then since there are so many walls in the offices people just hide in the corners and that would be very annoying to go against.

1+ Expanding the main room of Embassy would be better. 

19 hours ago, Kruger said:

1+ To expanding the capping point of boardwalk.That is one of the main reasons to why I hate boardwalk. The cap point is exposed to every angel and it's easy to get sniped and that's why I almost never go on the cap point on Boardwalk but instead snipe. Expanding the cap point to town would be a good idea and I think that would be more fun. 

1- To expanding embassy to the offices. At first I thought that would be a good idea but then since there are so many walls in the offices people just hide in the corners and that would be very annoying to go against.

1+ Expanding the main room of Embassy would be better. 

The cap points have some major inaccuracy and I think it may be from the fact that it is likely a single point. Generally the cap points are spheres, at least all of the points that I've seen since Siberia hit are, so it makes this theory more likely, since you can't have spheres if you use two corners as a box.

So that would explain why Garnet may have used smaller cap points with Echo, especially for Embassy. So if Garnet was to make the cap point for Embassy bigger, it could bleed into the lobby, offices, and basement depending on the placement of the singular point, and whatever the radius of that circle is set to.

And I love the current set up for Boardwalk, but it only works because the origin of the sphere isn't on or underneath the actual bridge, it's closer to the town on Warehouse side, suspended in the air. Which causes the point to bleed into some of that surrounding area.

-1. If it isn't possible to use two points (as corners) to define an objective's cap point with how it is currently set up, then I don't think changing the radius of the point would make sense in terms of gameplay balance. The current size of cap points are nice because you need to actively defend the points, as they are smaller and people can't hide to prolong a cap or sneak a cap, like seen massively on Delta's Embassy, with US often hiding inside on the first floor of courtyard. Or Siberia's Comms objective, with RU hiding behind the building, which still counted as a part of the cap point, rather than clearing the objective to capture it and instead forcing the defenders to leave the point to stop them.

I think EMB is both good and bad. The cap point I wouldn't be upset if it was bigger, bit also it doesn't feel too bad.

Now BW if it covered town that would be much better, the houses people would have to go in and clear US/RU could make for some nice strategies. I think that could improve BW to make it one of the best Objectives in game.

+1

• The Garnut
On 11/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, shrimp said:

On 11/21/2019 at 12:32 AM, Bendak said:

He put it perfectly. 

-1 to this suggestion entirely

These two posts above sum it all. I deliberately turned Embassy's capture zone to be a box as opposed to a sphere like the other objectives so that it perfectly captures the room in which it can be capped. I was very hopeful this would slow down gunplan and coordinate wars, the same thing applies to boardwalk and cover found atop/nearby tunnels.

• Friendly 2
  • Informative 1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines