DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Identifying Issues and Fixing Them: Basecamping

the thing i don’t understand most is that people wanted to swap to this map knowing that this was a big problem and yet they still complain about it being a problem instead of practicing and training with all of US to improve their skill. and i’m not trying to make this comment just to shit on US but you guys would rather complain instead of improving. the times i’ve swapped over to US there is almost no communication in radio about objectives and i am the only person i ever see besides a few rangers flanking past the basecampers and killing them 

• 300 IQ 2
  • Agree 1

So basically, I wanted to prove a point here. At the end of the day, adding a base line, or more terrain would fix the issue on this map, but only this map.

Feel free to disagree with me if you want.

Basecamping issues, among other things, aren't because of one specific map.

What allows RU SOC and 2GA to dominate map after map? It happened on Echo, it happened on Charharikar, and it's happening on Delta. To put it bluntly, It's player skill.

I can't speak for current RU, but as I know some of the people in RU SOC, I'm fairly sure they're doing what I and other RU leaders used to do. 

Tell the base factions about simple telescopics, about third person peeking, do sims with them, give the base factions the tools and leadership they need to succeed. Start scouting promising members, put the effort in. If you're not getting people in your faction, or people are leaving US, then evaluate what the issues are.

In the last community meeting, there was a good deal of talking about "getting through the lower playercount and difficulty" with inspirational words. While admirable, that doesn't fix the issues that are currently occurring. Let actions speak louder than words.

Management shouldn't have to get involved in this. It should be a player led change.

Edited by Praetor_Don
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, PraetorDon said:

Tell the base factions about simple telescopics, about third person peeking, do sims with them, give the base factions the tools and leadership they need to succeed. Start scouting promising members, put the effort in. If you're not getting people in your faction, or people are leaving US, then evaluate what the issues are.

yes and i dont mean to keep posting on this thread so this is my last comment. this is the kind of training that i am talking about when i say that US needs to do trainings to improve US. it is such an easy thing to do, you call people to DB or you can do this instead of seperate DB for all factions where you go around to say where they lost the war (EMB only war, go to EMB) and they show all of US different flank routes, tell base factions about simple telescopics, do sims at that spot and its as easy as that. and you dont have to do this instead of separate DB but it would just be nice so you can have all of US together training instead of some people who want their promotions and get off afterwards

• Like 1

Basecamping is an issue because people are too focused on getting kills and enjoying themsleves as if this is Call of Duty or Battlefield. That type of thinking has pushed the community to be against slower pacing no matter the amount of suggestions people create that seemingly support it. Who even cares about the roleplay aspect of the server anymore? If you have control over a virtual battlefield, why even let up when its so fun to win nothing? I've seen and heard people say they want more roleplay and less combat and then turn around and say they don't. I've done the same thing but that's because I adapted to the climate of the server, in the hopes that maybe I was wrong and would enjoy it better (I didn't).

The big idea here is to make the server enjoyable for everybody and Don has provided a simple illustration and explains how this is possible. You develop ideas that aren't too expensive in effort, resolve the original issue(s), and don't take weeks to implement. Quick, efficient, and powerful improvements on many fronts. Although, that does have the potential to lead to cutting corners in things that should have higher effort and time put into them.

Delta is inadvertently RU sided. However, when skilled players left RU for US in the later part of Delta, US was the one dominating. All because of skill levels, players leaving one side to balance out the other while ironically creating more imbalance. The map isn't the cause. Headglitching, while rather unbalanced, isn't the cause. Basecamping, as I've said, isn't the cause either. Those things are a side effect of a skill-based community failing to balance semi-serious roleplay in its fast-paced, softcore combat with (no offense to Garnet) half-assed mechanics and addons, that are so focused on getting kills for nothing in return. No progression, no cosmetics. No stats. Absolutely nothing.

You can fix the basecamp issues by shifting the importance from "gameplay" to "roleplay", and enforcing it as such. People get away with too much individually and the excuse that it is "just a game" or that it is "just Gmod" doesn't fly. You can't create and organize something but refuse to take care of it the same way you would with something that is "more serious". Basecamping is gonna happen on every map. Headglitching will happen on every map. The best solution is to prepare players in combatting them and additionally balancing it out through map design and rules; calling for an improvement in leadership, giving newer players a base to develop their skill, and creating a fair environment for both sides. Understand that my entire last two sentences covers more than basecamping and headglitching, its implementation is decided by the community, and would be better done in phases.

• Like 1

U.S can easily do the same thing ... Jackal's GB did that they operated as T1 force like vega did.. Simply can be done if U.S practices and take time to get better instead of complaining. I don't want to switch to US to help, US needs to shape up the players. that's it

So tired of this complaining shit on this "basecamp" when you can easily flank and learn the tactics from you're enemy. You can sit on the basewalls and snipe us if we basecamping. Just find other tactics to counter other then complaining

Edited by Dexx
  • Spicy 1
3 hours ago, Lark said:

basecampers are easy to kill, nothing is wrong with basecamping its been like that for ages
but headglitching WHILE basecamping is an issue
niggas show 1 pixel of their head and just slay people who come out the base

What lark is saying here is true. Basecamping isn't the issue, you can easily just be a wall warrior if you need to. But when you can only see a few pixels of a persons head and they can see your whole model that's where is gets bad. Headglitching by itself even isn't the worst thing in the world, but not being able to get out of base and not seeing the person who killed you is the problem. I've said many times that the rocks on the map just need to be raised and/or lowered to combat headglitching and keep everything else as it is. Extra fog may help too so that you can't see bases from right outside of an objective.

This is a map I've always believed to be really easy to flank on and it still (somewhat) holds true. I personally remember being able to just take a flank out of West gate and running out towards the tanks and cutting in through the river. I now feel however people on the server are less concerned about the objective and more concerned about getting kills so they sit on a different objective and wait for these flanks. Of course this would be  RU adapting, but if US is supposed to adapt to not being able to go any direction at the map at all then it is quite difficult not to mention the US base is cornered unlike RU. Personally, I do believe it can be done, but it would take a lot of hard work and dedication, something that isn't found on the server much anymore. An easy tactic would to be have people gather at West gate and all push out clearing people at KH and moving up the EMB bridge.

Basically the fixes in my opinion should be as follows: raise and lower rocks on the map, possibly remove tanks in favor of something else, add a slight but noticeable fog increase, and coordinate more during war. 

Edited by Gythem2
  • 2 weeks later...

logo.png.e5b1f1407eab24395fffa930c7633c1

Your suggestion has been Denied

Due to the fact that there has been a rule put in place which makes rendering the enemys base and bascamping Fail-rp.
Also the new map has added a ton of cover which will allow basecamping to be harder.