DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

In-Game Rules Menu / MOTD - Changes & Updates

ChrisRid

• DarkRP Administration Team

Description:
So I was having a browse through the in-game rules and MOTD (as you do) and I noticed a few things that you may consider changing / updating? I've listed them below:

1) The MOTD rules menu uses a dark text on a dark background which can be a little difficult to see. Could the text-colour be changed?

2) Following on from the "Server Rule Overhaul [Racism/Homophobia/Sexism]" thread, I noticed that the in-game rule menu has not been updated since the new rules came into effect on the 1st of June, and so need updating with the new information?

3) In the in-game rule menu under the heading "Building & Basing Rules", the rule regarding crouch-bases is repeated. Change to only mention it once?

Reasoning:

(Listed in same order as above):

1) The MOTD rules page is the first thing that new players see when joining the server, so ensuring the rules can be easily read by changing the text-colour against the background-colour will (hopefully) mean more people might read the rules, helping the community as a whole.

2) If new players read the in-game rules about racism/homophobia/sexism as they stand now, they could break the rules without knowing, and it's unlikely that new players would have seen the forum thread. It may also give way to appeals where those rules have been broken? By changing the in-game rules, at least there's no excuse for breaking them which will of course benefit the community.

3) I know duplicated rules in the list is a minor thing, just an observation that you may consider changing? If anything, a more concise list might lead way to players reading the rules?

Additional Information:

(Listed in the same order as above):

1) Screenshot of the MOTD rules - https://imgur.com/1i1sfp6

2) Screenshot of the in-game rules regarding Racism/Homophobia/Sexism - https://imgur.com/UrW5ryI
    Link to the rule update thread - 

3) Screenshot of the in-game rules showing a duplicated rule - https://imgur.com/o71yBkK   https://imgur.com/XOYA0re

Hope this is useful!
- ChrisRid

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Neutral

The first issue comes from not using the x64 branch, for the second one all I have to say is that there's a reason we don't always warn on the first offence, and the third one isn't really worth fixing tbh 

Edited by aidanpoppas123
  • Informative 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team
6 minutes ago, aidanpoppas123 said:

Neutral

The first issue comes from not using the x64 branch, the second one should be fixed, and the third one isn't really worth fixing tbh 

Do you know if the x64 branch a client-side issue? In other words, could I fix that my end? If so, it would be handy if there’s a quick fix, even for my own benefit 👍

+1 The rules need to be fixed anyways as there are still quite a few jobs without clear rules for everyone to follow. Like you mentioned as well, the racism/hate speech rule overhaul needs to be updated as I highly doubt anyone who joins the server will immediately go to the forums website after reading all the rules, make a forum account, and then stumble upon the rule overhaul post among the thousands of posts that are there on the forums.

Edited by JackJJ
  • Agree 1

+1 the rules should be updated as not all players are going to browse through specific sub-forum sections to see the additional rulings.

The text should be updated as well

On 7/22/2021 at 8:48 PM, aidanpoppas123 said:

Neutral

The first issue comes from not using the x64 branch, for the second one all I have to say is that there's a reason we don't always warn on the first offence, and the third one isn't really worth fixing tbh 

Yes, but the x64 branch is not only not a default (meaning the vast majority of players won't be using it) it's an experimental branch that was causing crashes and lag issues a few weeks ago. As a result I not only can't recommend it but I don't use it.

When I'm in a sit and someone asks how to see the rules then says "it's too hard to read" am I expected to tell them:

"Close Gmod, modify your launch settings to use an experimental browser branch(which not many people are capable of even doing), reconnect, and in 20 mins you should be able to read the rules"?

Because I think it's a bit absurd to expect every single user to use Chromium when it could just as easily be updated to a different font color or have it redirect to an easier-to-read website that lists the rules on MOTD, which would allow the normal player and the player who modifies their Garry's Mod to use beta browser builds to easily read the rules.

Edited this post because I found a screenshot of the MOTD back when it was legible to all users:

TS9HJcq.png

Would love to see the MOTD return to being legible to all users, and not just those who opt-in to the Beta program after being told to do so in order to read the rules.

Edited by ShankNinja
Found a screenshot before whatever caused the rules to be unreadable was in effect
  • Like 1