Donator Trails / Prestige Trails

ak47

2 hours ago, MisterShankie said:

That would work

after consideration, I think a better way it could be implemented is a prestige item unlocked in the vending machine. This would restrict how many people are using it, make prestiging more worth, and would be a fun way to customize your character.

• Agree 1
5 minutes ago, ak47 said:

after consideration, I think a better way it could be implemented is a prestige item unlocked in the vending machine. This would restrict how many people are using it, make prestiging more worth, and would be a fun way to customize your character.

now while this would (mostly) fix the lag issue you now run into the problem of only a handful of players being in a position where they can access it. Whats the point of adding this if like 3-10 people online at any given time can use it? See the issue now? Both ways of going about it seem like they'd cause more issues or be more hassle then they're worth.

• Agree 1
10 minutes ago, aidanpoppas123 said:

now while this would (mostly) fix the lag issue you now run into the problem of only a handful of players being in a position where they can access it. What's the point of adding this if like 3-10 people online at any given time can use it? See the issue now? Both ways of going about it seem like they'd cause more issues or be more hassle then they're worth.

1. If this post hasn't even been up for 24 hours, and there's already a good amount of people who seem to be really excited about this potentially being added in to the game, I think the hype is there. I don't see your point. I don't think there is an issue. If only a certain amount of people can use it, then it wouldn't cause much lag. With the hype factor proven, it would push people to want to prestige, hence spending more time on the server. The code is SUPER simple. So I don't see how it would be much of a hassle. Its literally just an invisible entity emitting a trail at your feet. Its not some sort of complete overhaul. It seems like all your arguments involve "what's the point this, what's the point that" when this thread has proven that its wanted by a few well known players. What's the point? its cool.

@ak47im not saying that it isnt wanted, I really want this, but it would bring too many issues with it. Just because people want something to happen doesn't mean it will, look at like all of my old suggestions, most got significantly more +1s than -1s and yet they get denied due to the issues that come with them. What im saying with locking it behind a prestige door is that almost nobody would be able to use it considering even prestiging once is a chore that takes a very long time grinding. Things aren't that simple with this stuff anyways, things are significantly more complicated than an outsider like you or I would know, and it would be a lot of work for something that would barely get used. If it was locked behind a paywall instead of a prestige wall it would be even worse with the lag, Again, this is a really cool idea thats not my point here, it just seems impractical at best. 

7 minutes ago, aidanpoppas123 said:

@ak47im not saying that it isnt wanted, I really want this, but it would bring too many issues with it. Just because people want something to happen doesn't mean it will, look at like all of my old suggestions, most got significantly more +1s than -1s and yet they get denied due to the issues that come with them. What im saying with locking it behind a prestige door is that almost nobody would be able to use it considering even prestiging once is a chore that takes a very long time grinding. Things aren't that simple with this stuff anyways, things are significantly more complicated than an outsider like you or I would know, and it would be a lot of work for something that would barely get used. If it was locked behind a paywall instead of a prestige wall it would be even worse with the lag, Again, this is a really cool idea thats not my point here, it just seems impractical at best. 

By your logic, the prestige system is useless. Because only a certain amount of dedicated players can use the items, its not worthwhile in the first place. Now, the thing is. I'm not an outsider, I have researched the code, and it can be used without much hassle at all in three different ways. 

1. Item trails

This method involves the vending machine giving you an invisible item with a trail applied to it that you respawn with and emits a trail while its in your inventory.

2. Player model trails

This method involves a trail being added directly to your player model

3. Entity trails

This method involves a invisible, no clip prop that is stuck your feet (like hats) but emits trails.

here is a method for Lua,

there are addons for trail tools as well that can be applied directly to props / sweps / player models.

Edited by ak47
  • Informative 2

I mean the prestiging system is a little useless but its something that drives people to keep leveling up (by sitting in a room for hours and hours with 50 red boxes sitting in front of them), but thats besides the point. Lets say it was the easiest thing ever and generated no lag, say someone is raiding your base and makes pink glitter farts everywhere and you cant see them making it near impossible to know where they are and shoot them, that seems a little unfair, does it not?

2 minutes ago, aidanpoppas123 said:

I mean the prestiging system is a little useless but its something that drives people to keep leveling up (by sitting in a room for hours and hours with 50 red boxes sitting in front of them), but thats besides the point. Lets say it was the easiest thing ever and generated no lag, say someone is raiding your base and makes pink glitter farts everywhere and you cant see them making it near impossible to know where they are and shoot them, that seems a little unfair, does it not?

I don't know if you saw my video or not, but that's what I mean by trails. Not a fucking massive rainbow jetpack coming out your back. Its simple, small in size, short in length, with different solid colors. Not a goddamn smoke screen.

Edited by ak47
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, ak47 said:

1. If this post hasn't even been up for 24 hours, and there's already a good amount of people who seem to be really excited about this potentially being added in to the game, I think the hype is there. I don't see your point. I don't think there is an issue. If only a certain amount of people can use it, then it wouldn't cause much lag. With the hype factor proven, it would push people to want to prestige, hence spending more time on the server.

yes, there are a good amount of people that think a random trail underneath their feet would be cool. So what, that proves us nothing. There has been plenty of "hype" for hundreds of additions that get denied, dont act like this is any different. Lets actually look at what it would entail rather than thinking "cool trail i want it."

1. There are already trails associated with some of the obtainable artifacts. While adding a few more artifacts that do this would be possible, adding a whole vending machine of trails would end up creating everybody on the server to be using one. 

2. Putting behind a paywall would be the same idea as blood on MRP, while it was cool at first, there was problems with it involving the mechblood that made it hard to see the person you were shooting at. Trust me, you dont want even 20+ people running around with these trails on the server, it would cause a hassle and get annoying very fast. But you have to keep in mind that this is intended to be a Vanilla DRP server. I feel as this would take away from that feel if a bunch of people are running around with pink trails following them.

3. Adding it to prestige would be the only reasonable idea here, and even then the amount of prestiged players is small enough that it wouldn't even be worth the time to add this in when there could be other additions put in place instead. 

4. The lag is something that would need to be tested. Not even going to bring that up as it isnt something measurable until it would be implemented.

TLDR: There are other additions that would be much better in place of this, however adding it in as a prestige reward would be the most viable option.

If garnet or proggy have any input on this, please do so as this gunna end up like my third person revamp suggestion years back real fast

8 minutes ago, huskaii said:

2. Putting behind a paywall would be the same idea as blood on MRP, while it was cool at first, there was problems with it involving the mechblood that made it hard to see the person you were shooting at. Trust me, you dont want even 20+ people running around with these trails on the server, it would cause a hassle and get annoying very fast. But you have to keep in mind that this is intended to be a Vanilla DRP server. I feel as this would take away from that feel if a bunch of people are running around with pink trails following them.

I think people are misinterpreting what I mean by trails. The approach I am suggesting would not limit visibility, as shown in the video posted.

9 minutes ago, huskaii said:

3. Adding it to prestige would be the only reasonable idea here, and even then the amount of prestiged players is small enough that it wouldn't even be worth the time to add this in when there could be other additions put in place instead. 

4. The lag is something that would need to be tested. Not even going to bring that up as it isnt something measurable until it would be implemented.

I am in a sort of agreeance with the prestige method. My point about the hype was that prestiged players want this, and people who aren't prestiged want this which might push them to prestige, spending time on the server. I think the lag would also be minimal considering the availability.

NOTE: This post has gained enough attention IMO. I am done responding to comments, more +1s or -1s are welcome but I do hope this will reach a yes or no soon. Thanks everyone for the input : )

• Agree 1