DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Suggestion

Description: I would like to suggest an update to the hobo job. I feel that the option to make the hobo scream "I'm going to rape you" should be removed. Perhaps it could be replaced with some other sound effects or just removed. 

Reasoning: I personally feel that this sound clip can be quite triggering to those who are victims of sexual assault. if you think I'm being too sensitive Just imagine if you've been raped before and you hear someone loudly scream into your ear "IM GOING TO RAPE YOU". Those who are victims of sexual assault and suffer from PTSD can be highly susceptible to having traumatic flashbacks. Also it goes without saying that there are lots of children that play on the server I've even seen some younger than 10 years old and they shouldn't be subjected to such topics(i understand its not garnets responsibility to protect children but they should still be considered when making decisions that could potentially be harmful to their innocence). I know there's plenty of people saying worse things into their microphones but atleast then there's the option to mute then. I hope you consider my suggestion, thank you.

Additional Information: N/A
Edited by KoiFish
  • Dumb/Shitpost 2
  • Cringe 7
  • Winner 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

This has never been an issue for the multiple years that I’ve been playing on Gmod

You’re also playing a game where people shoot each other , police Stun stick abuse , name a whole bunch of things. Even have a job called “Covid Spreader”  Bunch of Criminal Jobs that tries to Copy IRL activities of those jobs. 

Your reasoning is to protect the young, protect the people that been through it.  but you also don’t bring up the issue of what i said in my 2nd paragraph? 

Edited by IAreGunner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
1 minute ago, IAreGunner said:

This has never been an issue for the multiple years that I’ve been playing on Drp.  

You’re also playing a game where people shoot each other , police Stun stick abuse , name a whole bunch of things. Even have a job called “Covid Spreader”  Bunch of Criminal Jobs that tries to Copy IRL activities of those jobs. 

Just because you haven't noticed it being a problem doesn't mean it's not a problem. In my experience victims of sexual assault tend to be not very open/vocal about their experiences or triggers. It's something they don't even like talking about because even thinking about it or speaking about it can in itself be traumatic. 

• Disagree 1

+1

There are a few reasons why the phrase, "I'm going to rape you", is bad. First, it is a threat of violence which is not only frightening, but can remind someone of a previous incident. Second, it perpetuates the idea that rape is something that is acceptable, which is not the case. Third, it's a way of making light of rape, which is a very serious issue. Finally, the phrase is just plain mean and insensitive. It is not something that should be said to anyone, regardless of the context.

Edited by Actavis_Medicine
typo
  • Like 1
  • Dumb/Shitpost 4
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

I do understand what your saying, and if anything like this was said out of character would be totally inappropriate. However this is DarkRP, and as such it's humour is dark. Bare in mind that this server is FAR more tame than others I have played on. We have very strict rules around inappropriate behaviour out of character to ensure people feel safe to play on the server.

To suggest that something should be removed because someone feels "triggered" would only serve to set a precedent for other aspects of DarkRP. Remember that drugs also ruin lives, and yet there are 4 separate jobs involving drugs? Gang violence destroys so many young peoples lives and creates a vicious circle for the next generation, yet there are 12 job roles involving gangs. Burglaries and robberies leave people with serious lasting psychological illnesses like PTSD, but there are 15+ raiding classes. So perhaps these should be removed too? These are also very serious problems which have lasting deep effects on people.

Many people in the past have protested against games such as GTA, or Postal, etc; and yet they are still around. If it's not your kind of humour then perhaps find something better suited to your tastes? 

• Informative 2
  • Winner 2
41 minutes ago, ChrisRid said:

I do understand what your saying, and if anything like this was said out of character would be totally inappropriate. However this is DarkRP, and as such it's humour is dark. Bare in mind that this server is FAR more tame than others I have played on. We have very strict rules around inappropriate behaviour out of character to ensure people feel safe to play on the server.

To suggest that something should be removed because someone feels "triggered" would only serve to set a precedent for other aspects of DarkRP. Remember that drugs also ruin lives, and yet there are 4 separate jobs involving drugs? Gang violence destroys so many young peoples lives and creates a vicious circle for the next generation, yet there are 12 job roles involving gangs. Burglaries and robberies leave people with serious lasting psychological illnesses like PTSD, but there are 15+ raiding classes. So perhaps these should be removed too? These are also very serious problems which have lasting deep effects on people.

Many people in the past have protested against games such as GTA, or Postal, etc; and yet they are still around. If it's not your kind of humour then perhaps find something better suited to your tastes? 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying and I appreciate your argument, however I feel there should be a special exemption for this specific issue. Here's why

1. Using the term "I'm going to rape you" targeted at women can be very misogynistic considering its an issue that effects primarily women.

2. There's already examples of in rp language that is against the rules (transphobia) why is it not okay to be transphobic but it is okay for there to be a game mechanic where you can yell "I'm going to rape you" directly to a  woman? (Who could be suffering from ptsd for that very reason)

I feel that having an "im going to rape you button" essentially gives players a tool to be misogynistic without consequences.

Edited by KoiFish
  • Like 1
  • Cringe 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team
3 minutes ago, KoiFish said:

1. Using the term "I'm going to rape you" targeted at women can be very misogynistic considering its an issue that effects primarily women.

Men are victims too, I’m not sure what gender has to do with anything? This isn’t fair and neglects any thoughts for men struggling with this, creating a problem in its self.

6 minutes ago, KoiFish said:

2. There's already examples of in rp language that is against the rules (transphobia) why is it not okay to be transphobic but it is okay for there to be a game mechanic where you can yell "I'm going to rape you" directly to a  woman? (Who could be suffering from ptsd for that very reason)

The sound effects are literally just that, sound effects, not someone’s voice. Plus they are random sound effects so it’s not actually possible to directly attack someone with a specific sound anyway. It’s just random audio clips depicting a crazed hobo, not someone worth listening to.

Of course targeted attacks (of any kind) are considered harassment and there are already strict rules surrounding that, alongside racism, sexism, homophobia etc. 

Remember your talking about an old school sound effect which is played at random by a character who is depicted as mad / crazed / not in any sane state of mind. 

I stand by everything I said earlier.

• Winner 1
  • Agree 4

Not really misogynistic towards women considering anyone can get raped, and hobos will quite literally yell it at anyone. It's really no worse than what the others were talking about, but if a compromise was made to just remove that one voice line sure. Otherwise if it has to be the entire swep then I say get used to it and ignore it. I'd rather not have something else removed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
2 minutes ago, ChrisRid said:

Men are victims too, I’m not sure what gender has to do with anything? This isn’t fair and neglects any thoughts for men struggling with this, creating a problem in its self.

The sound effects are literally just that, sound effects, not someone’s voice. Plus they are random sound effects so it’s not actually possible to directly attack someone with a specific sound anyway. It’s just random audio clips depicting a crazed hobo, not someone worth listening to.

Of course targeted attacks (of any kind) are considered harassment and there are already strict rules surrounding that, alongside racism, sexism, homophobia etc. 

Remember your talking about an old school sound effect which is played at random by a character who is depicted as mad / crazed / not in any sane state of mind. 

I stand by everything I said earlier.

My point is that it's an issue PRIMARILY effecting woman. And CAN and has been used for misogyny (there are rules against misogyny that's why I'm making this argument from that angle) I agree that's it affects all genders and I am not neglecting men who are struggling with it.

• Cringe 2
  • Disagree 3

First of all, I want to say what a well-structured, prepared, and persuasive argument you wrote, ChrisRid. I appreciate your input and time dedicated to your response. I completely agree that DarkRP is dark in nature and requires certain parallels to real-life for immersion purposes. It is true that we embrace depictions of acts of violence that are a detriment to society such as gang warfare, armed robbery, and murder. In the context of DarkRP, these are acceptable. However, I would like to remind you of precedents that have already been set. It is a bannable offense to use racial and other bigoted slurs in role-play. It is a bannable offense to actively be homophobic and transphobic in role-play. A special case has been granted for this impermissible behavior and should be granted for this phrase as well. I would simply like to change the phrase to not reference or allude to rape in any way. Rape is one of the more severe examples of assault that can impart greater psychological trauma and distress in victims in comparison to other crimes like robbery and burglary, for example. Additionally, it can be argued that sexual abuse/assault is more widespread compared to other crimes because the victim often knows the perpetrator, which results in a larger number of offenses committed. This ultimately may result in a larger number of sexual assault victims being present on the server than those who have been robbed or mugged, for example, which is why we should be sensitive regarding this particular issue. In the end, there are just more appropriate ways of participating in DarkRP than saying “I’m going to rape you”, which is and is generally not necessary in other situations. I am not an advocate for widespread censorship, but this is an example where removing profane language would improve the experience for all users and the quality of conversation and conduct in DarkRP.

continuity
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Agree 1
48 minutes ago, TheDudeAbidesV2 said:

Not really misogynistic towards women considering anyone can get raped

While true that anyone can get raped, it disproportionately affects women compared to other demographics. That being said, I do want to emphasize that rape is horrific for anyone that experiences it, regardless of demographic. If misogyny is defined as "dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women." How is rape not "ingrained prejudice against women" based on these statistics?unknown.png
Scope of the problem: Statistics. RAINN. (n.d.). Retrieved May 19, 2022, from https://www.rainn.org/statistics/scope-problem

graphic and citation, rebuttal, punctuation
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 3
  • Informative 1

Just would like to point out that before we had “Covid Spreader” we had Rapist as an actual class, also this is dark rp where you get to murder people in cold blood I think someone can deal with an angry hobo throwing a shoe at someone and saying I’m going to rape you, it’s pretty clearly not going to happen as the job was removed a while ago but y’all just need to be able to understand it’s a game and nothing in it is real, and if you feel differently there are other games you can play 

• Like 1
  • Dumb/Shitpost 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

I understand that. Wasn't really the point I was trying to make. Honestly if it's as much of an issue in game as they state, I say find something else to play. Darkrp isn't exactly a friendly cup of tea. It's in the name lol. You are literally rping as criminals re-enacting relatively tame to heinous crimes from the real world to one extent or another. Like I said though if it's something that can easily be adjusted then sure why not. Otherwise if it requires the removal of it entirely it's really just not worth it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by TheDudeAbidesV2
  • Like 1