DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Any fellow Linux users?

ChrisRid

• DarkRP Administration Team

I decided to swap over to Linux a few months ago, and so far it’s been great in basically every way. With that said, gaming has always been tricky with Linux, and so I thought I’d see if there are any other fellow Linux users and what you run, your configs, and how this works with playing?

I run Ubuntu LTS 20.04, and in order to play on GMod, I use the x86 chromium beta with the CEF codec fix, without proton. So far it’s been working great but I’m having a little trouble with my mic which I need to look into, but I’m confident this will be a fairly simple fix.

For Rust, I use the latest stable Proton release which works well. Unfortunately though, EAC isn’t compatible with Linux despite the game working perfectly, meaning joining the main servers isn’t possible, but with the Steam Deck around, I have a feeling they may look at supporting it in the future perhaps, if it becomes popular enough (fingers crossed).

What do you run, and how’s it working out?

I use Ubuntu Server 20.04 to host Docker. It has no GUI and runs in a Hyper-V virtual machine on my server. Linux is far more resource efficient than Windows is.

I know someone that uses Archlinux as their daily driver, but has taken a good deal of time to configure it. I'm also pretty sure he boots into Windows to game.

Wouldn't use it for gaming personally as I don't like troubleshooting operating system funnies on my free time. 

• DarkRP Administration Team
On 11/22/2023 at 12:23 PM, PraetorDon said:

I use Ubuntu Server 20.04 to host Docker. It has no GUI and runs in a Hyper-V virtual machine on my server. Linux is far more resource efficient than Windows is.

I know someone that uses Archlinux as their daily driver, but has taken a good deal of time to configure it. I'm also pretty sure he boots into Windows to game.

Wouldn't use it for gaming personally as I don't like troubleshooting operating system funnies on my free time. 

That's sweet! I've wanted to look deeper into Docker and Kubernetes, I just don't have a decent use-case to dive in and start playing around.
Arch looks cool, but yea I can imagine the time it takes to get everything set up perfectly is insane. Cool to see peoples builds though I have to say
I have considered dual-booting for gaming, especially with Rust, but otherwise it hasn't been too bad. Hats-off to the guys over at Proton
Pretty neat though mate 😃

I've always been a windows user. From xp and vista to windows 11. I'm familiar Ubuntu, Fedora, and the Kali (as well as Tails OS) versions of Linux however. I have not tried running Steam on any of those platforms as I run them on a virtual machine and have not installed them as a default operating system.

Archived