M14 EBR Balancing suggestions

Kendal

Description:

As many people in the MRP server may have noticed by now, the M14 EBR is a ridiculously powerful gun. I've heard arguments that it is a low skill weapon, and also arguments that the recoil and spread actually give it some level of skill to get good with. I was thinking about it last night and was wondering how it could be balanced in a way that doesn't absolutely sink the weapon, while also balancing it out.
Personally, I don't agree with the way it is able to be used. It's essentially a 2 shot kill to the body DMR with an automatic fire mode. I'd understand the 2 shot kill if it was JUST a DMR, but frequently in EMB only wars where it is close quarter, the EBR is in use on full auto and melting anything it comes into contact with.

Reasoning:

My suggestion as to how it can be balanced is by removing the ability to use it in an automatic mode. I've been able to use it effectively in close quarters (at EMB), and at long range as a DMR with just the semi-auto option. I do this personally because I like to be more accurate with my shots. And it is still super effective! The only downside is that you actually NEED to aim properly to hit those shots, which in my opinion is a far better playstyle for this weapon anyways. 
I say remove automatic from it because that effectively changes the playstyle of the weapon without tanking it's damage and viability as a whole. This would basically either force people to use another weapon better suited for close quarters (m3 Super 90, MP5, Etc.) while maintaining the power of the weapon. The M14 in it's current state reminds me of CoD in a way. Running around the OBJ, killing anyone you see first without them being able to react in the slightest, it really fosters that run and gun gameplay that I never imagined GG MRP was going for. 

UPDATE: Figure I should add an example of what I think the weapon should be used like.

If you've ever played the halo games from 2-current, you'll notice the DMR and BR are used for mid range to long range engagements (aside from game modes like swat where the DMR/BR are the only weapons you can use). You'll hardly ever see someone using a DMR/BR charge at someone using the AR because they'd be at a huge disadvantage (this disadvantage isn't as bad when you become a god with the DMR or BR, but someone competent enough with the AR will usually win). So instead, players that prefer to use the DMR/BR opt for mid range to long range engagements that they will usually win. I know halo and GG MRP are far apart in terms of mechanics, but the ideal playstyle for the EBR should be that mid to long range game. And if you are good enough with it you can land your shots pretty effectively. You'd be at a disadvantage when using it close range due to it's low fire rate/semi auto. However you'd have the upper hand in every other engagement (aside from a good sniper).

This is the playstyle that I feel would bring it down in close quarters, but keep what makes it good at range.

This is however the first weapon balance suggestion i've ever made. I'd love to hear what other people think.

Edited by Milton
Added more substance

The M14 EBR or Enhanced Battle Rifle is actually fairly accurate. It is a battle rifle, keep in mind, therefore it has the ability to be fully automatic and capable of long range combat. The trade off for this full auto mode is that the recoil is very hard to control. The powerful nature of the M14 EBR also can be credited to it shooting 7.62x51mm rounds, also known as a .308 Winchester. Also to note that other guns like the FAL and G3A3 should (though I’m not sure if they do or not because I no longer have access to the weapons in game) behave quite similarly to the M14 as they too are battle rifles. To further explain the concept of these weapons is that they are long rifles, with again, long range capability and able to fit the role of almost any combat range. I know I’m going off on a tangent explaining how they operate in real life but it’s because I personally think that weapons should behave like how they are irl, in game. So basically what I’m saying is that the weapon is pretty accurate to its real counterpart and I think it should stay that way, maybe make the recoil a bit harder to counter though. I would not remove the full auto as it is a key part of the weapons operation system. 

Edited by Captainswag
  • Cringe 1
  • 300 IQ 1
1 hour ago, Captainswag said:

The M14 EBR or Enhanced Battle Rifle is actually fairly accurate.

This game is not real life, goats are not hunted with Damascus swords in the militaryFeelsWeirdMan 

+1 for the Nerf

Edited by Homeless
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Jackal said:

Im assuming it was intended to be an alternative when it comes to donating for snipers. I.E. an alternative from the Orsis and Mosin (Despite it not being a proper sniper anymore) If anything I would rather see it just become an actual DMR with a hard hit to its firerate. However, reverting it back to its previous state wouldn't hurt either but I am assuming Garnet wanted for it to be a DMR of sorts.

Honestly I could see the damage remaining at what it is, just the firerate should be nerf significantly.

Edited by Dexx2
8 hours ago, Captainswag said:

The M14 EBR or Enhanced Battle Rifle is actually fairly accurate. It is a battle rifle, keep in mind, therefore it has the ability to be fully automatic and capable of long range combat. The trade off for this full auto mode is that the recoil is very hard to control. The powerful nature of the M14 EBR also can be credited to it shooting 7.62x51mm rounds, also known as a .308 Winchester. Also to note that other guns like the FAL and G3A3 should (though I’m not sure if they do or not because I no longer have access to the weapons in game) behave quite similarly to the M14 as they too are battle rifles. To further explain the concept of these weapons is that they are long rifles, with again, long range capability and able to fit the role of almost any combat range. I know I’m going off on a tangent explaining how they operate in real life but it’s because I personally think that weapons should behave like how they are irl, in game. So basically what I’m saying is that the weapon is pretty accurate to its real counterpart and I think it should stay that way, maybe make the recoil a bit harder to counter though. I would not remove the full auto as it is a key part of the weapons operation system. 

No you're definitely right in that it is a Battle Rifle, but it isn't being used as such. The playstyle behind the M14 currently is something akin to Call of Duty. It fosters a low time to kill, and encourages running all over an Obj and almost insta killing anyone you see. And I know full and well that the server wasn't made the way it is to have CoD like mechanics implemented. Removing the full auto doesn't destroy the gun, but changes it's playstyle to something like a mid to long range engagement DMR rather than what equates to a projectile slinging chainsaw.

• Like 1

Alright I take back what I said earlier, M14 should have its Full Auto removed, because it is just too annoying to shut off when you are trying to snipe. Instead of being a Battle rifle, it should just be a DMR. Another thing that should be fixed on it is its reload, as it is like 5 seconds long for a 20 round magazine which has the ability to run out very fast. Also reduce the amount of time to pull it out, when I take it out, I cant aim in for a solid 2-3 seconds. Lastly I think it should have a slower RPM that should be around 500-550, and that it should do 50 damage. Those are my final thought on the M14 EBR after using it in war, and having to wait at an ammo crate for it to stop doing animations, and reloading after wasting 18 rounds in about 1.5 seconds of accidentally holding down the trigger, I think that these changes should be made.

+1 for big nerf on this, I try to only use the gun to cheese on dudes with Kevlar/Morphine combos.

Very overpowered as it is in CQC, as a designated marksman rifle should not be. While at that, try to fix the weapon deploy/reload glitch, leaving the user defenseless for several seconds after pulling it out or reloading a mag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines