DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

[MRP Suggestion] Team Damage

AlexConway

• Community Director

Hey Ruby Roleplayers,

Pretty simple suggestion as an increase in these warns/increase of instances are occurring, once again. 

Description: Re-introduce Team/Self Damage during war. (Turn on Team Damage, you turn on Self Damage, with the current system it's both not either or.)

Reasoning: On both the US and RU side, both Grenade Spam (Multiple people throwing grenades, without consequence, because it can't damage teammates.), as well as aimless firing, (2GA and 11B/1MD aimlessly spraying and praying with not rhyme or reason and not actually shooting the target, or worrying about friendlies because it doesn't matter right?) Additionally RPGs and other explosives cause similar issues....

The server used to not be like this, everyone was a target - if you RPGed COMMS, then you wiped your team with it. If you were aimlessly spraying, you could hurt a teammate. 

Why does it benefit the server? Pretty simple, it brings back a level of skill and caution, you not only have to worry about taking out the enemy but you also have to worry about injuring your teammates. This also allows people using non-explosives to physically identify their target, rather than just assuming its an enemy and if not "no big deal" there's no penalty. TD;LR prevents, explosives spamming, and aimless shooting, as well as additional level of skill.

How difficult is it to implement? Not very, it should be as easy as changing a few variables in the code (If I remember what bizzy said a while back, granted the script may have been updated since then)

How would staff enforce TeamKilling? First instance is more so slap on the wrist, second instance is a FailRP warn, 3rd, 4th, so on. "What if an 11B MassTeamKills on the objective?" Well it's RDM and FailRP so both a MassRDM or NITRP ban work! Team Killing can also be dealt with in character! We have the jail cells for a reason.

Additional Information: N/A

Polling: +1s: 11 -1s: 8

Edited by AlexConway
  • Like 2
  • Cringe 1
2 minutes ago, Alex Conway said:

Reasoning: On both the US and RU side, both Grenade Spam (Multiple people throwing grenades, without consequence, because it can't damage teammates.), as well as aimless firing, (2GA and 11B/1MD aimlessly spraying and praying with not rhyme or reason and not actually shooting the target, or worrying about friendlies because it doesn't matter right?) Additionally RPGs and other explosives cause similar issues....

The server used to not be like this, everyone was a target - if you RPGed COMMS, then you wiped your team with it. If you were aimlessly spraying, you could hurt a teammate. 

I actually quite like the idea of explosives having a tradeoff for their use in war, and having friendly fire off, would also enforce the need of actual target identification.

3 minutes ago, Alex Conway said:

Team Killing can also be dealt with in character! We have the jail cells for a reason.

I believe there's only the 1 communal jail cell at the moment, But regardless How would we get people there naturally? 
the Handcuff SWEP was janky at best, and flat didn't work at worst.
Sure we could threaten to blacklist people if they didn't cooperate with their "arrest" but it wouldn't be nearly the same.
Also comes the point of "Who's going to be assigned the duty of arresting people for TK?" I'd say the easy option would be Faction Officers, But let's say that nobody's down with that idea.
Who would?
Would we make squads specifically designated to arresting people and have it be a tryout sorta thing like how MP was without actually making Garnet code the MP back into the server?
I would be personally down with that, although i'm just 1 guy amongst dozens.

• Community Director
3 minutes ago, Homast said:

I actually quite like the idea of explosives having a tradeoff for their use in war, and having friendly fire off, would also enforce the need of actual target identification.

*Friendly Fire On (Meaning Damaging Teammates, it's currently off) I completely agree, for the realism people it adds that real-life element of "I see movement, friendly or target".

Edited by AlexConway

+1 i genuinely like the idea that you have to be careful during war so you don't end up killing your teammates i think this would give people more of a reason to work in groups and enhance coordination with officers so theirs no causality's by your own forces.

• Like 1

So, I can see grenade friendly fire being turned on as positive, as generally only players who invest time/money into the server will have those.

But turning friendly fire on for everything is asking for trouble.

It's all fun and games until a group of several people decide to mass their team on the obj, because they're new to the game/they're trolling. 

This will significantly increase the bans for mass, or at the very least, the reports.

Also, I don't see MP's ever coming back due to the potential for abuse.

I'm not completely against the idea, I just think it'll cause more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by Praetor_Don
words
  • Like 4
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Spicy 1
  • Community Director
2 hours ago, Praetor_Don said:

So, I can see grenade friendly fire being turned on as positive, as generally only players who invest time/money into the server will have those.

It's all fun and games until a group of several people decide to mass their team on the obj, because they're new to the game/they're trolling. 

This will significantly increase the bans for mass, or at the very least, the reports.

I'm not completely against the idea, I just think it'll cause more trouble than it's worth.

Not entirely, the server used to be like this and there were hardly, any problems, no offense if someones going to mass it's going to be in a DB, where they can spray down people, not an objective where they're getting attacked.

Unfortunately you cant turn on explosives and turn off team damage, that's not how the system works. It's all damage or no damage, including self damage. 

When it was previously enabled I had never experienced a PVT massing on an OBJ, it only occurred of like a PVT shooting a SEAL, because they looked vaguely like an enemy.

I can definitely understand your perspective.

Edited by AlexConway

Rip marsoc and rangers during war, they’ll get TKd hardcore. BUT over all I’m in favor for this change it’ll stop useless nade and RPG spamming especially when there are friendlies in the area making people use communication and awareness over all. Big +1

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Praetor_Don said:

I agree with this as well. I'm not so worried about someone massing on an objective, I'm more worried about some PVT not realising I'm a friendly and gunning me down. I'd like this idea if the privates on the server weren't so incompetent, but with how I see the average private that joins daily I think this is just going to cause more harm than good.

I'm just thinking back how it used to be when it was turned on, and it was not pretty. Maybe it'd be different with the new meta and new map, but I have my money on history repeating itself. I just don't like the trade-off for adding friendly fire back, personally.

Edited by PrisonNightmare
  • Like 5

-1 This is just gonna cause more harm than good

3 hours ago, Praetor_Don said:

31 minutes ago, PrisonNightmare said:

I'm more worried about some PVT not realising I'm a friendly and gunning me down

• Like 2
  • 300 IQ 1

1-

Most of the new people don't even know who are US and who are RU so they shoot anyways and that would cause a lot of chaos. The server has been doing good without self damage so I don't see why it should be added. If the idea is only to fix people who are spamming grenades or firing rockets in close range then I they should work on some sort of a self damage script where explosives only damages you, if that's possible.

Edited by Kruger
  • 300 IQ 1
1 minute ago, Fonza said:

You can turn this into a teaching moment, show the new people what RU or US looks like when it comes to player models.

Let's be honest no one would want to do that. They also can just press f4 and look for themselves and that would save a lot of time.

• Cringe 1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines