MRP Player Cap

Witchings

One thing that has really been a problem is the player cap, while not an issue most of the time, it can really start to drag the server. When the player count reaches around 110 in players, the server's performance drops immensely, the war timer and OBJs break, causing people to have to restart the server to be able to make callouts. Also, the server itself starts to really lag, causing it to be incredibly hard to kill and enjoy wars or even peacetime stuff like match is almost impossible to do. 

What I'm suggesting is either upgrade the server (I don't know if this one's possible, given what I've heard about the server's cost is already.) or decrease the player limit to prevent the server from becoming too laggy/broken. 

This will surely benefit those who wish to enjoy both war and peacetime without having overcoming lag on practically everything, also makes the server more appealing to newer players when they aren't seeing everyone skip and teleport around.

41 minutes ago, Witchings said:

One thing that has really been a problem is the player cap, while not an issue most of the time, it can really start to drag the server. When the player count reaches around 110 in players, the server's performance drops immensely, the war timer and OBJs break, causing people to have to restart the server to be able to make callouts. Also, the server itself starts to really lag, causing it to be incredibly hard to kill and enjoy wars or even peacetime stuff like match is almost impossible to do. 

What I'm suggesting is either upgrade the server (I don't know if this one's possible, given what I've heard about the server's cost is already.) or decrease the player limit to prevent the server from becoming too laggy/broken. 

This will surely benefit those who wish to enjoy both war and peacetime without having overcoming lag on practically everything, also makes the server more appealing to newer players when they aren't seeing everyone skip and teleport around.

From experience, increasing server specs can massively increase cost for performance that is not parallel to what you're paying for. Only Garnet knows what he's paying for the hardware, so I can't really comment much more on this.

The  main issue with GMOD is the engine wasn't designed for so many people to be on at the same time, if memory serves correct. Increasing "the specs" may not have much impact on latency people are getting, decreasing the player count might, but as I haven't run a GMOD server before, I'm not sure what the "sweet spot" is for players/performance.

• Informative 1
  • The Garnut

I was just talking to @shrimp about how this map was poorly designed and will result in heavy lag during use when the server is taxed, he said he hasn't seen anybody complain about this particular issue, and then three days later this thread is up. Lag is expected with 128 players online, but the fact this map was designed in a really stupid way (2x as many brushes as my previous maps) doesn't contribute to the issue. Dropping the player cap is not something i'm going to do, but i'll do my best to optimize the server's code as well as look into options of updating the map to accommodate significantly more FPS.

3 hours ago, Witchings said:

the war timer and OBJs break

Never heard of this issue before

3 hours ago, Witchings said:

I'm already paying a mind-boggling amount of money, and upgrade our servers at every new intel CPU release. There is no "upgrading the server" unfortunately.

• Like 1
Just now, Garnet said:

What happens is that the timer will go to like -4 hours or something like that, and then the OBJs % and cap zone will not be shown to the players, to fix it one must simply relog on the server. 

Thanks for addressing this though!

15 minutes ago, Garnet said:

This issue used to happen quite alot in early 2018 or around that time, It would only happen at like 110-128 players. Its been a long ass time since the last time it happened

• Like 1
  • The Garnut
5 minutes ago, dude said:

This issue used to happen quite alot in early 2018 or around that time, It would only happen at like 110-128 players. Its been a long ass time since the last time it happened

I would easily toss the issue on the extra CPU hogging/conflicts from cars being on the server. We didn't have vehicles for the entirety of mid 2018-mid 2019.

• Informative 1
20 hours ago, Witchings said:

What happens is that the timer will go to like -4 hours or something like that, and then the OBJs % and cap zone will not be shown to the players, to fix it one must simply relog on the server. 

Thanks for addressing this though!

You can just relog and it fixes. Not a huge issue really just when you die quickly relog and play for the next 20 min. I think this is a really small issue that only happens when the server is really full and not a huge problem but would be nice if fixed but garnet already is spending so much time on us already let's cut some slack and look at the bigger picture then look at this

Edited by Gamma
My dumbass left out some info
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 1
3 hours ago, Gamma said:

You can just relog and it fixes. Not a huge issue really just when you die quickly relog and play for the next 20 min. I think this is a really small issue that only happens when the server is really full and not a huge problem but would be nice if fixed but garnet already is spending so much time on us already let's cut some slack and look at the bigger picture then look at this

It's more so a concern with newer players who do not know the fix, and don't know how to work GMOD too well. I do agree it's not a big problem but would be a convenient thing to fix as well as optimization. 

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines