Gythem's Gamemaster Application

Gythem

In-game name: Gythem

SteamID: STEAM_0:0:161534046

Timezone: PST/PDT

Playtime?: | DEVGRU SOCM Gythem has played for 785:37:53.

Do you have access to TeamSpeak and a microphone?: YES
Referral(s): N/A
Past Experiences as GM: none
Have you ever made any previous applications? If so, when?: Staff Application for MRP.
How much time do you have to contribute to the role?: 6-10 Hours weekends, 2-6 hours weekdays. During the summer and because of the Coronavirus, 8+ hours every day.

In your own words, what are the responsibilities of a Gamemaster?:

The job of a Gamemaster is to ensure the best experience in both fun and roleplay purposes. They are there to be sure that every event runs smoothly and according to plan. A Gamemaster should try to host events as frequently as time permits. The events should be given to factions with good standing and behavior within the community.

Gamemasters are in charge of enforcing good roleplay on the event server and should encourage good roleplay on the main server. This can be done by awarding factions with more events if they follow the structure of past events better than others. Gamemasters need to be creative. They should have the capacity to be able to juggle around ideas and come out with a final product that is not only fun, but makes sense and follows a strong structure and has a good roleplay aspect.

A large part of being a Gamemaster is the ability to set up events. They should be at least decent with any sort of tools, Physics Gun, Tool Gun, etc, going in with room to possibly improve. They are responsible in making sure everything goes the way it was set up. A poor set up could mean a poor execution. I believe you need a good team of Gamemasters with each person being really good at one thing and proficient in everything else.

Describe how you would contribute to RP as a part of the Gamemaster team:

I plan to contribute by hosting and assisting events as much as possible. I hope to increase the roleplay aspect of the general community, not just necessarily on the event server. I believe encouraging roleplay is crucial to the server environment providing more fun to be had outside of war. I will put my best ideas on the table for use in both the event and main server. Creating ways players can roleplay and interact more without adding any additional updates is something that has been lackluster recently in the community.

Ways you can improve roleplay on the main server are training exercises facilitated by Gamemasters. Factions can run through different training exercises in various parts of the map to hone in on their roleplay abilities. It does not require for the event server to be open to do and only requires willing participants and (a) Gamemaster(s). Stealth exercises, range practice, and killhouse simulations can all be done under this idea.

As for the event server, good ideas are needed. Ideas that are both historic and theoretical. Different situations such as assassinations, captures, hostage rescues, etc. can all be implemented. You can use current events as well. Say news came out about a terrorist leader being assassinated, we can get as much information as we can on the subject, then recreate the situation to the best of our abilities. I will work closely with shrimps on different ideas and the set up of various events.

I feel as a Gamemaster I will be mostly involved with the ideas, scripting, and execution of events. I feel I am better at coming up with ideas and enforcing them than setting up the actual server with all the necessary elements, though I can most definitely help with anything needed in that department to the best of my ability. I would take the opportunity to actually get better at the use of various GMod tools. I would be willing to dedicate myself in a private server setting up events that I would then bring to shrimps and we could go over, edit, and resolve any issues that may arise. This in turn would make me both more skilled at setup and would build chemistry with the Director and I so we could work better together in the future.

Explain your single most creative idea for contributing to the RP environment of the server: 

My single most creative idea would have to be to implement a campaign. Each faction will complete an event and when they get to the next section another faction would take over. It would be a long storyline with different things suited for each faction. I will use US as an example. 24thSTS is obviously better suited for various air tactics, pararescue, support, etc, RRC and MARSOC are Recon, DEVGRU would be more Sea oriented but could also focus on aspects of Air and Land, and GB is suited for guerilla warfare. This would all be done through the work of Gamemasters. Or we could choose to get voiced NPC addons and work on a storyline to set up on a map. The first option requires a lot less work but in the long run, the second option could happen. Each section can be recorded by a Gamemaster so people could follow the storyline and know where they are picking up from.

Each faction would do what they do best in the campaign. Vega would do urban warfare and counter-terrorism. RRC would do by land and by air recon, while MARSOC does by sea recon. DEVGRU would be a mixture but would be mostly boat operators, divers, and do naval insertions. 24thSTS will be doing most, if not all, the piloting as well as pararescue. SSO would use guerrilla tactics as well as recon. GRU would be used for intelligence gathering. And PDSS would be used for sea recon as well as be boat operators, divers, and do naval insertions. Green Berets will use guerrilla tactics as well as train up local militias to fight for them.

You could have US and RU as allies, you could do them separately, you could have US vs RU, there are so many possibilities on how this could be run. It could be a linear storyline or it could be chosen by the players of the events. This is a large-scale idea that would have to be thought through thoroughly as there are many variables involved. The storyline would take a while to come up with. However this is the largest, most creative idea that I have.

Please list and explain 5 unique event ideas of any scale:

1. The assassination or capture of Osama Bin Laden. The 24STS would bring in two Blackhawk helicopters carrying SEALs and Rangers, as the Rangers secure the perimeter of the complex the SEALs will infiltrate the building, making their way through they would take out anyone who is hostile while trying to avoid any people not hold weapons, bombs, etc. When entering the final room they will attempt their best to capture Bin Laden but have the option to assassinate if the circumstances call for it. This can be executed multiple times and could follow a different storyline, say Bin Laden has a suicide vest one time, but he doesn't the next. This can also be executed using theoretical situations. You can interchange factions and terrorist leaders.

2. Cold War situation. RU and US will both be involved on opposite sides. Spying missions will be conducted where you gather information while trying to avoid conflict. Information will be brought back in a report and the side with the most information on what the other side is doing will get a better score. The activities of each side will be decided by the Gamemasters and given to each side to ensure integrity, one side cannot claim "we weren't actually doing that" because the script is already given. 

3. Guerrilla Warfare. Green Berets will be tasked with training exercises to complete within their faction but also with other members of the server. They will train up and then intercept a convoy of some sort using unconventional tactics to beat a more heavily armed force. They can execute different tactics such as wave tactics used in the Revolutionary War, where they make a few people push up then retreat, repeating it multiple times. Different tactics can be executed but that is just the first tactic that came to my head.

4. Terrorist Prevention. This event would be for Vega. The setting will be an urban environment and all they have to work with is the threat of a terrorist attack in the area. They must locate and prevent the attack before it goes through. There could be one to two snipers with the rest infiltrating the area the attack is set to take place. This is inspired by Vempyl and Alpha successfully preventing an attack at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

5. Beach Landing. MARSOC will be tasked with recon on a beach for an upcoming landing. SEALs will be the drivers of the boats and will release a mixture of 11B and Green Berets to the front while Rangers attempt a flank and MARSOC continue to wreak havoc from within. This can also be done with Russia. Vega can do recon, while PDSS operates the boats, releases 2GA and SSO, and GRU comes in for a flank.

6. Hostage Extraction. RRC goes airborne, carried by 24thSTS, clears an underground bunker, compound, etc, then rescues the hostage by sea with SEALs.

7. Dog Fight. AFSOC and RU are in jets and have a dog fight. They use evasive maneuvers and smart positioning to beat their opponent. This can be done off an aircraft carrier.

8. Infantry. Base factions can do trench warfare against eachother. They must designate CO and XO and create fortifications before fighting.

^^ Most of these ideas can be modified to work for RU or US ^^

Edited by Gythem2
  • Like 1
  • Creative 1
  • Agree 5

+1 Gythem is a smart person for his age, and many of these ideas seem very creative and mainly fun to see how they would play out. I have been on others servers and have been a GM myself and this is the type of creativity we would expect from people. Now at the same time some of these events seem difficult to work smoothly but in the past ive seen magic happen so no doubt a great start to the event server and GMs as a whole. Gythem I believe you are more than prepared for being a GM and as stated before +1

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Just now, Gamma said:

+1 Gythem is a smart person for his age, and many of these ideas seem very creative and mainly fun to see how they would play out. I have been on others servers and have been a GM myself and this is the type of creativity we would expect from people. Now at the same time some of these events seem difficult to work smoothly but in the past ive seen magic happen so no doubt a great start to the event server and GMs as a whole. Gythem I believe you are more than prepared for being a GM and as stated before +1

Sums pretty much everything i feel about gythem up, besides his intelligence and creative ability he's also a good kid.

• Like 1

Gythem is definitely someone that would be fit for the role of a GM. I’ve known about him for only a week now but I already see a great level professionalism and maturity in him, and this is apparent through the level of effort in his application. Every time I see him on MRP he always seems to be a very chill dude. The ideas he has presented make me very interested, and I would love to see this guy flourish as a GM who knows how to have fun and implement interesting roleplay along with it.

+1

Edited by Jared Cox
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Gythem said:

My single most creative idea would have to be to implement a campaign.

Damnit, Had I known about GM apps, I would have applied with this very same idea the way you proposed it.

+1, the man very clearly has good ideas for events and from what's on his app, He's willing to do the work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
10 hours ago, Gythem said:

Gamemasters are in charge of enforcing good roleplay on the event server and should encourage good roleplay on the main server.

Right on the money.

work better together

Cooperation as part of a GM team is incredibly important, as the fluidity and functionality of the team is directly proportional to the quality of the events. Working with myself, other GMs, the administration team, faction leaders, and the general populace are all equally important to ensuring a high standard of RP on both servers.

campaign

Funny that you and Homast mention this, as I've already written the narratives of the first season for both US & RU. Events are split into two categories. 'Side-Ops', which are open-ended single faction missions with only a few stages, and Narrative-Driven events, which will push a documented plot based on the outcome of the event. The outcome in each event should and will be premeditated so we, as the GM team, can plan further ahead and ensure a desirable outcome. 

Osama Bin Laden

As much as I like historical events, the only way we'll be basing events after actually occurrences is for simply context (Locations, Aux factions, etc). 

3. Guerrilla Warfare

Of all your event ideas, this is the type you should focus on developing the most, as it focuses around a real niche of a faction and extrapolates it into an RP event. Unconventional Warfare is a staple of the Green Beret, and as such their role in events should be focused around it in a way.  This type of event is exactly what we're looking for. 

All in all, impressive application, expert analysis of the role you're applying for, and a good comprehension of what steps can be taken to improve the quality of RP on both servers.

ACCEPTED

@Garnet Move & Lock pls.

I'll get you trained here in a bit.

• Like 2
  • Winner 3