Transitioning maps

Deeko

There are hundred of different SWRP servers that are practically the same.  Yes there may be a few differentiating aspects between the server but in essence they are all the same.  I’m proposing something that I have not seen before in any SWRP server, and that I believe would make the server experience magnitudes more unique and more fun.

Every few weeks (or months) have a map change.  Say during January-March the server would be on Anaxes then April-June the server would be on a Venator, then July-September the server would be on geonosis.  I believe this would benefit gameplay for four  reasons.

1) The same map constantly will burn out players’ interest in the server.  Something new and different will reignite their interest in the server; and, as I’ve said make the server stand out from other SWRP servers.  Yes, with events maps change, but that’s only for a few hours at a time.

2) It would introduce a unique rp experience, having commanders and officers build their own bunks.  Having the soldiers build an FOB, simulating a real deployment and establishment of a forward operating base.  Unseen ever before on any other SWRP servers, the players will be able to simulate a genuine deployment.  Military “chores” would be better roleplayed, such as “gathering materials” to build the FOB, then after doing that the admins can spawn props in to build bunks, mess halls, briefing, etc.  

3) It will allow players to explore and experience the maps for more than a few hours at a time in events.  Exploring the maps that the gmod community has made and experiencing a unique roleplay experience would be something that has never been done before on a SWRP server.

4)It would give the server a unique lore.  The battalions and units on every SWRP server have no history behind them. Yes they have Star Wars lore, but what I’m proposing grants the ability for each battalion to make their own legends; about the Hells of Geonosis, or the Intense last stand on mygeeto, having the clones see their FOB that they built up for weeks be burnt to the ground as they evacuate on a LAAT to the Venator (Which would be the next map).  Incredible on the roleplay and lore aspects you could do with this idea.

I hope I’ve given enough reasons to implement this.  I would like to hear what everyone thinks about this in the replies, and I’ll do my best to explain my idea more if you didn’t understand from this.  If there’s any problems you foresee with this idea, perhaps I could give a solution to that potential problem should it arise.

• The Garnut
59 minutes ago, Deeko said:

Every few weeks (or months) have a map change.  Say during January-March the server would be on Anaxes then April-June the server would be on a Venator, then July-September the server would be on geonosis.  I believe this would benefit gameplay for four  reasons.

What's really weird is that I openned the forums, came across this post because I saw the title and was like "there is absolutely no way" but yes... there is a way.

I was just making a lua code that'd check what month it is, and based off of that, it'll decide whether we spend the next 1 or 2 months (maps can repeat ONCE for another month) between Anaxes, Venator,  and Kashyyyk. Ontop of this, I was comissioning a developer to make a system for MilitaryRP that I figured I would re-purpose for SWRP, whereby players can grind out passive roleplay events such as cleaning/maintaining equipment in the ship, in return for a "faction bank" which may be used to upgrade their bank. Going to see what's @Phantom's input.

A project like this pulled off would be rather expensive, so I am going to start monetizing SWRP and MRP more heavily fairly soon.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Garnet said:

What's really weird is that I openned the forums, came across this post because I saw the title and was like "there is absolutely no way" but yes... there is a way.

I was just making a lua code that'd check what month it is, and based off of that, it'll decide whether we spend the next 1 or 2 months (maps can repeat ONCE for another month) between Anaxes, Venator,  and Kashyyyk. Ontop of this, I was comissioning a developer to make a system for MilitaryRP that I figured I would re-purpose for SWRP, whereby players can grind out passive roleplay events such as cleaning/maintaining equipment in the ship, in return for a "faction bank" which may be used to upgrade their bank. Going to see what's @Phantom's input.

A project like this pulled off would be rather expensive, so I am going to start monetizing SWRP and MRP more heavily fairly soon.

I am not opposed to having a map change every few months. In fact, I think it would be a good idea. It would definitely allow me to set up long term RP events for each battalion to have an opportunity to establish their own history on the server.

+1 It would make the server stay alive for a lot longer and it would be fun to experience other maps and explore them. I have another suggestion to the map and it is a Star Destroyer map but it isnt like a map like Kashyyyk but it is just a suggestion

• 2 weeks later...