Less Offworld Events and More on Base.

Gamma

@Phantom So i'm going to make this quick and easy. Lately on the Star Wars server you have been trying your hardest to make events for everyone and we all thank you for this. But in mine and several others opinion you're trying too hard and spending too much time planning Off-world events. Thank you for your effort but constantly doing off-worlds not only drains you but also the playerbase. Most of our Off-worlds have been shoot em up events and while yes it's nice to farm XP they can drag on a lot. You've had some amazing ideas and events that have gone very well in my opinion but I would like to see some more on-base events or even some venator events. I will list a few of my ideas for onbase and venator events that I have used in the past. 

Invasion : This is a basic on-base event where CIS fighters strike the base's command deck disabling the power grid and taking out central comms. No one can use RP Comms as the relay systems are destroyed. On-base PA systems would be needed (IE the Voice Amp mod we have) to give direct orders. The droids would launch multiple strikes of commando droids throughout the base (T3 commando droids) to spread their numbers throughout the base. People would need to use in-game voice chat and private radios (IE TS or discord) to communicate. This has proven a challenge to the players and thats makes it that more fun to hunt down the T3 commandos since people can't just die and put in comms where they are. They have to search out by squad to find them while the comms relay needs to be repaired. This makes a great event that challenges people with their communication and planning ability. 

Alien Uprising : This event plans around using the Antlions and Headcrab npcs to infect clones that go into the cave system to spread an on-base infection using the NPCs CGI Dead Troopers. The aliens and Troopers will move around the base trying to destroy all lifeforms using the Vents, maintenance ducks, ect and the clones have to find a cure for the troopers and destroy the alien invasion of the base all while making sure they don't reach the engine bay to destroy the reactor core. If the lights go out then the alien spawns should increase 50% due to lack of sight of the vents and more and more aliens appear from nowhere. 

Sabotage : This is an event where T3 commando droids and npc commando droids sneak into the Naval Command Deck and begin stealing information. A clone patrol would have to find them or until they take 75% of the intel before an automatic security system activates to alert the base. The clones would have to hunt down and destroy the droids before they make it to outpost Zeta to get the data off planet via a droid gunship. If the droids escape the walls of the base, the clones would have to be deployed via LAATs to the nearby outpost to secure and destroy all commandos and other droids (B1s, B2s, and destroyer droids.)  If the droids make it off-world then a new attack could come with Sith, Magna guards, fighters, ect. 

Revenge : This would be a Republic started event where we go in full force to the cave system where the CIS have built multiple Anti-Air gun emplacements to shoot down supplies for the base and are transmitting battle data to the fleet in space. Our Job would be to go on-foot to destroy the gun emplacements to allow reinforcements to arrive via LAAT and be able to call in Close Air Support (CAS) all the while droid reinforcements and heavy vehicle support are coming in. The clones can branch off to take out the comms tower (relieving the droid Air support) and take out the prison complex to remove droid tank support and artillery.  Once the clones take the cave they must download and wipe all of their plans and the CIS intel all the while being ambushed by droid patrols on the way back. If the person carrying the intel dies someone else has to pick it up (the data will be on a mass effect data pad prop) If the whole squad dies and the droids retrieve the intel the clones have to go in AGAIN to take it back. 

These are 4 ideas that I have to do on-base events. You can change them up however you like and add your own special plans to them but @Phantom thanks again for being on SWRP with us and doing all the amazing shit you do. We might not completely understand your real life situation and how busy you are but the time you put in with us is absolutely amazing and I can speak for everyone that we are all grateful. Keep up the amazing work Phantom but please ease yourself up and the playerbase by doing more On-base/Venator events. Love from the community. 

• Agree 1

Neutral, There's a Campaign like story line that is happening that i don't think the community is really grasping onto. For Example, Recently we went to an off world Map and lost the battle there, we returned to the venator and our ADM got kidnapped. There's events planned for the new few days to go along with the original one and create a "Story Line". I hope information can help you see it in a different way rather than XP farming. 

Now onto your points, yes i believe there should be more off world events as well. This way its not just droid invasion then big event. However, Off world events don't need to include GM Perms. There's tons of Passive RP that can be created by the player base themselves. So lets not depend 100% on GMS for every event.

I like your event ideas and i think they could go good. Once GM's are set in stone and everyone has their perms and everything, i hope events start running a lot smoother and there's at least 2-3 mini a day, and one large one.

Gonna need to +1 this one here. But my reasons are a tad different.

When we do off world events I feel like only one battalion gets a thing that isn’t walk to different places and shoot NPCs. There are many on base things that we can do, that will take less time to plan, create, and execute than it would for an off world event.  Granted only one battalion may be needed or two by chance, but since it takes less time to create these, you can do more that bring out what makes each battalion special.

Now onto the ‘campaign’ that aparh brings up, if the game masters choose to follow a story, they need to follow 3 key elements that will make it so we A) feel like what we are doing matters, B) feel like the events aren’t being dragged on, but rather that they are leading up to a big thing. These three main things that EVERY story needs, are Goals, Stakes, and Urgency.

The Goal - if our goal is to reclaim Kashyyyk, don’t make us just go there and fight droids for 2 hours, make us have a definitive goal while we are there. Make us have to take back a post, or need to destroy a tactical droid that has incredible amounts of information that could win Kashyyyk.

The Stakes - I’ll just continue with my examples from that Kashyyyk thing I was talking about in the Goal. But first, you need stakes, or there isn’t any need to do anything. Why do we need this droid alive? What will happen if we don’t get it alive, and how will we get the information it has then? See without stakes there is no need for this story to exist, why would we waste our time for nothing (in an RP sense).

and finally, the Urgency- in a game, this is to make it so I’m not doing the same thing for 3 hours, in our case most of it is shooting droids here, but ya know, still. This is very similar to the stakes, but with a little twist. What happens if we don’t get that information from the tactical droid back to base within a few days (in game like 30-45 minutes idk what the time comparison thing is). But let’s say there could be an unknown attack or something along those lines, or maybe peoples lives are at risk. Whatever it may be, adding a little urgency into the mix makes it so we feel like our time is well spent.

but I realize that this is about having more on base events, and getting back to that, yes we need more things that can be speedy to make, and can grab our, the players, attention. I just wanted to say that whole part as a little note to all our game masters we have, and those yet to be accepted.

4 minutes ago, Captainswag said:

When we do off world events I feel like only one battalion gets a thing that isn’t walk to different places and shoot NPCs. There are many on base things that we can do, that will take less time to plan, create, and execute than it would for an off world event.  Granted only one battalion may be needed or two by chance, but since it takes less time to create these, you can do more that bring out what makes each battalion special.

Now onto the ‘campaign’ that aparh brings up, if the game masters choose to follow a story, they need to follow 3 key elements that will make it so we A) feel like what we are doing matters, B) feel like the events aren’t being dragged on, but rather that they are leading up to a big thing. These three main things that EVERY story needs, are Goals, Stakes, and Urgency.

The Goal - if our goal is to reclaim Kashyyyk, don’t make us just go there and fight droids for 2 hours, make us have a definitive goal while we are there. Make us have to take back a post, or need to destroy a tactical droid that has incredible amounts of information that could win Kashyyyk.

The Stakes - I’ll just continue with my examples from that Kashyyyk thing I was talking about in the Goal. But first, you need stakes, or there isn’t any need to do anything. Why do we need this droid alive? What will happen if we don’t get it alive, and how will we get the information it has then? See without stakes there is no need for this story to exist, why would we waste our time for nothing (in an RP sense).

and finally, the Urgency- in a game, this is to make it so I’m not doing the same thing for 3 hours, in our case most of it is shooting droids here, but ya know, still. This is very similar to the stakes, but with a little twist. What happens if we don’t get that information from the tactical droid back to base within a few days (in game like 30-45 minutes idk what the time comparison thing is). But let’s say there could be an unknown attack or something along those lines, or maybe peoples lives are at risk. Whatever it may be, adding a little urgency into the mix makes it so we feel like our time is well spent.

but I realize that this is about having more on base events, and getting back to that, yes we need more things that can be speedy to make, and can grab our, the players, attention. I just wanted to say that whole part as a little note to all our game masters we have, and those yet to be accepted.

+1

12 minutes ago, Captainswag said:

So to answer to some of your points, the was the original Goal: Hold Kashyyyk, which we didn't and was lost. So now the goal is to recapture it.

Stakes: Our Admiral is kidnapped, if we fail to reclaim Kashyyyk and take him back he's ultimately dead.

Urgency aspect will have to be worked around. I agree less droids and more RP in events, but then the community complains. 

I would even go as far as to say if we "Lose" events promotions past the rank of CPL or SGT can't happen. But that would have to be set by Phantom or Agreed upon all the CDRs. There's a + side and a - side to Off world events and on world events. 

1 hour ago, AparhTurtle said:

So to answer to some of your points, the was the original Goal: Hold Kashyyyk, which we didn't and was lost. So now the goal is to recapture it.

Stakes: Our Admiral is kidnapped, if we fail to reclaim Kashyyyk and take him back he's ultimately dead.

Urgency aspect will have to be worked around. I agree less droids and more RP in events, but then the community complains. 

I would even go as far as to say if we "Lose" events promotions past the rank of CPL or SGT can't happen. But that would have to be set by Phantom or Agreed upon all the CDRs. There's a + side and a - side to Off world events and on world events. 

Bruh this isn't tallking about off-world events CAN'T happen. I'm just saying tone them down and focus on more on-base ones. Off-world events are hard to do and take a lot of time to prepare. So if Phantom is constantly doing offworlds he's gonna get sick of it really quick. 

The biggest issue with making this happen is that the Gamemaster job is only on the Event Server, which means that the only GM that can do anything on the main server is Phantom. Personally, I would love to see it put on the main server as well, but if I remember correctly there are specific reasons it isn’t there now. 

Regarding specific goals for factions during events, we try to incorporate this as best we can. I tried my best to make this happen on the event a couple days ago with the whole Kamino/Island tracking the assassin, but there were only two GMs available to host the event and we couldn’t use any event jobs because of permissions. 

Regarding the events that are just shooting droids, I personally dislike these types of events. There are situations where we don’t want to reuse the same event characters every event and I’m currently working on a suggestion that might fix this problem. What I mean is that the threat of Cad Bane or Count Dooku is significantly lessened if they’re there every event. They aren’t as rare which takes away from the whole “oh shit, it’s Cad Bane” vibe. On top of that, today’s update added a bunch of new maps and things for us to work with, so I would say look forward to that. 

Edited by {GG} Bishopil
  • Like 3

I just saw this thread, probably because I've been focused on schoolwork this past couple of days. The plan is to integrate events and GMs onto the main server to 1) prevent playercount drops and 2) make it easier for GMs to conduct events seamlessly.  I agree, doing Off-World events everyday is a struggle and it might not be what everybody wants to do. I've just noticed that a good portion of players have gotten used to the idea of an event everyday and that's all they ask about throughout the day. It seems to be the only thing keeping some player's attention and that is not a good thing. If I were less busy, and I will be within the next week, I'll definitely be able to do more things on the main server until we hopefully integrate everything. I did most of these things on the main server already in terms of the event ideas you mentioned (CIS droid invasion/sabotage). Hopefully the GM system can get fully setup so I'm not the only one everybody relies on to do events, especially when I have to prioritize my schoolwork right now. All I ask for is patience and I thank the players that have already taken the initiative to create roleplay ( @Bishop, @Swigss, @AparhTurtle to name a few).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

With the addition of the GM system onto the main server, there have been and will be more event on-base for the foreseeable future with off-world events sprinkled in there for times of high pop.