Hit Marker Suggestion - SFC Reek

Reek

I posted this in Discord, figured I'd post it here as well to see it's progression!

It's the small things that make every server better! DON'T get me wrong, Garnet Gaming Military RP is an AMAZING community, I love it! However, I feel during war, I often feel bummed out not knowing I hit an enemy, knowing that I at least hit my shots, before getting absolutely OBLITERATED by the enemy would be nice! Seeing a form of Hit Markers implanted would make this incredible MRP experience EVEN BETTER im not sure about others, but to me it brings a form of "satisfaction" just like cod, I love hearing hit markers when I beam people on COD:MW so why not love it even more on Garnet!?! Thanks for the consideration!

Yours Truly - SFC Reek

TL:DR - ADD HITMARKERS THAT RESEMBLE THOSE FROM COD ❤️

Video Example - There are hundreds of Hit Markers on the GMOD workshop, however I'm a million percent sure you guys know what your doing when it comes to the quality of your server! 😄

Edited by Reek
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

-1 I just feel like this isn’t very necessary. I like the mystery in wondering if I hit my shots and I get the satisfaction from when the enemy dies because then I do know that I hit my shots lol. Also, this server is supposed to emulate realistic military. Obviously it’s GMOD and it’s a video game, but I still feel like hitmarkers would take away from that.

42 minutes ago, JackJJ said:

-1 I just feel like this isn’t very necessary. I like the mystery in wondering if I hit my shots and I get the satisfaction from when the enemy dies because then I do know that I hit my shots lol. Also, this server is supposed to emulate realistic military. Obviously it’s GMOD and it’s a video game, but I still feel like hitmarkers would take away from that.

The mystery is the worst part of combat. This has not actually been measured and is just a guess based on experience, but a high percentage of shots fired on the server don't actually hit their target. This is caused by a number of things, but mostly has to do with the lower tickrate and higher average ping (most, if not all, are in the 150-200 range with average pop). I can already imagine how to implement hitmarkers that are accurate without sacrificing server and client performance. The "realistic military" argument is not a fair argument to use when referring to the combat portion of the server. The Source engine is old; combat is nowhere near realistic (jumping around on a class with two primary weapons and grenades, which somehow is faster than everybody) and being able to carry literally any and every weapon you want becoming a one-man army.

I would much rather know if a shot hit (and where it hit, if possible) than it be a "realistic shooter" and having to guess constantly, especially with the inaccuracy from the Source engine when it goes to calculate whether a shot hit or not - we get tons of blood splatters already that our client ASSUMES we hit but somehow didn't. +1.

Here's an actual example that isn't really necessary for me to share. I started playing STALKER Anomaly recently and its gunplay is phenomenal. There are no hitmarkers in the game, no obvious audio cues that I hit or killed my target (aside from their faint death cries depending on the range and weapon). And I'd have to agree that it is very satisfying to watch somebody I'm shooting at die without knowing how much health they have, or if my shots are actually hitting or not. The difference in this being that the calculations are much more accurate compared to MRP, as the game has to worry about one player, NPCs, and physics in a small portion of the game's entire map and not 80-100 players. It works for that game because there is NO chance you'd get a false positive when you shoot people and it turns out that it did no damage. Enemies have a chance to flinch or be stunned whenever they get shot at; some of them move differently depending on how much health they have left; etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

+1 

This is a great idea, the mystery of hit reg in the source engine is retarded.

3 hours ago, Fier said:

I would much rather know if a shot hit (and where it hit, if possible) than it be a "realistic shooter"

This sums up my feelings pretty well.

• Disagree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

While it would be nice to have hit markers, it would be pointless. Say you were to fire at someone from far away, you would get a hit marker even if it were a friendly or an enemy. I’m not an expert of coding, but that would seem quite difficult to program between war and peacetime. Also, the hit reg is already unreliable as is, so adding another form of false positives might give players the sense that hit markers don’t mean shit.

Basically it’s a cool idea but will ultimately be very useless.

-1. Every time I have played a gmod server with hit markers they drive me insane. Just seeing a little blink at my crosshair can really mess up my aim in CQC. For snipers I kind of understand but depending on the hit marker it can mess with aim and actually do more harm than good. Also hit markers are just straight up not needed. Sure it sucks when you swear you should have killed someone and they don't die. But hit markers won't solve that. If anything it would make it worse because arm shots will still be a thing. And more times than not you are hitting your shots but they are just arm shots. So hit markers are just not needed

• Agree 1

+1

Even the nut himself said it would be nice to have it. I personally would love to have hitmarkers, mainly for knowing what shots hit. If there was no sound and just a simplistic hitmarker near or on crosshair that would be sweet. 

3 hours ago, JordanD said:

This is a big time no from me, I understand it may not be easy to hit players but its more realistic to IRL, you dont get a .png appearing up in your face if you shoot someone in afgan.

On 4/8/2021 at 2:38 AM, Braky said:

-1 you'll get tilted from the amount of hitmarkers you see but you did 29 damage 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, Fonza said:

While it would be nice to have hit markers, it would be pointless. Say you were to fire at someone from far away, you would get a hit marker even if it were a friendly or an enemy. I’m not an expert of coding, but that would seem quite difficult to program between war and peacetime. Also, the hit reg is already unreliable as is, so adding another form of false positives might give players the sense that hit markers don’t mean shit.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, Gamma said:

Also hit markers are just straight up not needed. Sure it sucks when you swear you should have killed someone and they don't die. But hit markers won't solve that. If anything it would make it worse because arm shots will still be a thing. And more times than not you are hitting your shots but they are just arm shots. So hit markers are just not needed

In the ideal situation, the hitmarker would display a specific color based on where it hit on another player. I wouldn't expect it to affect performance, nor is it difficult to implement. It would have to be done serverside due to the hooks being used to capture when damage is taken, so there would be zero false positives (unless said player is godded or whatever) and that includes friendly fire during war (if deemed necessary, also not hard to add).

Disregarding the stupid excuse of 'realism', I'd take hitmarkers over the inaccuracy of blood splatters: it's less about whether I hit a shot or not and more about making sure I didn't get baited by bad math and end up getting destroyed by somebody with full HP instead.

• Agree 2