Blooms ban appeal

For me, this comes down to a ''think twice before acting'' scenario. Why would you ever think about cheating on a Gmod server in the first place would be my question, but I know a lot of people do this these days - can't really blame you for that. Second of all, if the server wants to remain a liable image when it comes to cheating appeals, I am not going to +1 this unban. I will explain to you why.

If we were going to give you a second chance simply because you are a nice guy and contributed a lot to the server, it would go in against some other decisions that have been made. I saw Ozzy's case being referred to, but as Ozzy always has said himself - if it's becoming an issue for appeals against cheating, then just ban him. I completely agree with Ozzy's response as well, you cheated and got caught and you have to serve the punishment for it in my opinion. I am sure that you were aware of the consequences when you decided to use the actual cheats, regretting a decision you made is kinda sucky I am aware of that, but like I mentioned before: think twice before you actually do something like that. 

Morale of the story: Other cheaters haven't been unbanned and I think it's only fair towards others (who also have been nice people and contributed to the server) to not go along with this unban.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

1: Personally, I have had no interactions with you, so take that as you will. However I've seen this thread devolve into an argument over the nature of cheating bans and wipes and appeals. We have said time and time again that ban appeals are not for apologies. I also believe that there is absolutely no reason to cheat on a Garry's Mod server. 

2: Realistically, the damage done by a cheater won't be that bad. The positive impact that a player has on a server can far overshadow the negatives. Based on what I've seen, you have committed a lot of time and smart ideas into the server, and the impact you left on players I know was positive.

3: the argument is also being raised that this unban will set a precedent. I believe that without a precedent, ban appeals can be taken over by feelings- something that should not be involved in staff matters- and personal prejudice. 

I cannot provide a +1 despite my personal feelings. I have not had any interaction with you, so it would be unwarranted. Cheating ban appeals should have an overall theme from the community(whether that be negative or positive). The fact that I am seeing many players that I personally respect give you +1's should be a sign that this ban should be rethought.

• Disagree 1
On 5/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, AwesomeAidan0221 said:

I disagree. Situations like this should be taken case by case, the whole idea of precedents are stupid, all they do is allow people to use the overused argument of “Well this guy did the same thing and he is still banned”. Ever wonder why the Justice System has a range of Jail time for a crime, why they release on early probation? Because they know that every situation is different and all don’t merit the same punishment. The dude has already been banned for 1 year, I say it’s time to let him out on early probation.

I somewhat agree with what Aidan is saying here. I think it comes down to a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "precedent" is. You mention the justice system, which does use precedents. An example of a precedent in the justice system would be "this person should be punished for committing this crime." Whether or not you are regretful, admit to it, etc, etc, you are going to be punished if you commit a crime. Good example on the server is Ozzy, he could've been permanently banned again, however his punishment was losing Super Admin and going down to Admin. Ozzy was still punished.

The exact definition of a precedent in law is: a court decision that is considered as authority for deciding subsequent cases involving identical or similar facts, or similar legal issues.

No where will you find the exact same sentencing for the same crime under DIFFERENT circumstances. This is because there is precedent surrounding that a person should be punished for committing a crime, but precedents can not be set when each circumstance is different. Circumstances create the timeframe of sentencing, parole/no parole, reduced sentencing under good behavior, etc. This is decided by the judge, in this case the judges are staff.

Basically, in this example, the precedent isn't the timeframe of the punishment it's whether or not you should be punished based off previous cases.

That being said the question becomes, have people been denied an appeal after only cheating for one war (claimed by blooms), admitting to it, and being regretful? That's the question you have to answer to find the current precedent. That's not to say precedents can't be broken, thus establishing a new precedent. As stated before Ozzy's case broke a precedent and established that cheating but contributing heavily to the server may earn a reduced punishment. Others have contributed in catching other cheaters and were unbanned for their service to the community, much like reduced sentencing for exposing others involved in criminal activities. Toxicity bans lost their precedent and a new precedent was established that if the community member had "reformed" themselves enough to return as a non-toxic member then they'd be unbanned (pretty sure this no longer stands but it was a thing for a little bit when D Rose was Manager).

I'm going to remain neutral as I'm pretty torn on the issue (which I think I made very clear). I just felt this may be valuable input and questioning in regards to this ban and precedents in general set on the server now and in the future.

Edited by Gythem
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Friendly 1
  • Informative 1

Neutral

Although I do believe everyone should be given a second chance after past mistakes, you still broke the rules. From your appeal its obvious that you wish to change and better yourself from your stupidity, but you took the risk and it didn't work out. The reason I'm staying neutral is because I myself have never had any past experiences and I'm unwilling to judge you from this one situation. From what I see you have many people vouching for you and if you really want to come back to the server then best of luck to you.

• Friendly 1
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, Tally said:

-1 Unbanning someone who cheated on the server might be the single most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Honestly he should receive a ban from gmod itself and never be allowed to set foot on any gmod server in the future.

I don’t think you even understand how ironic your post is. (nothing against you Ozzy)

Warn me or hide this idc

• Like 1
  • Creative 2
  • Agree 1

Personally, I am not a fan of letting someone who cheated back on the server. Now, it could also be said that I haven't been around long enough to understand the impact you may have had on the community in the past. Which is true. But, as many others have already stated, it could set a bad precedent of allowing vets who were banned to come back to the community, completely ignoring their past offences. But, if you were somehow bale to prove yourself, via a probationary period or something of the sort, I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of "reform program" that would allow players such as yourself to return to the community.

TL;DR:

NEUTRAL

• Dumb/Shitpost 1