DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Add glass props to blacklist

hex_

Description: Add the glass plate, curve, angle and dome props to the prop blacklist.

Reasoning: If you didn't know already, glass props act in a similar way as terrain, or part of the map, in garry's mod. They prevent m9k's weapons from penetrating props with splash damage, in a manner that is unique to a small selection of the prop whitelist. As I've stated in the post here, the rules heavily favor the defenders of a base in a raid. Multiple (sometimes more than 3) peeks, sniper angles from the very back of the base, and it is now common to encounter bases that utilize glass props to prevent splash damage. As long as I've played the server, a properly built base has always been extremely difficult to raid. However, in the past, not many players utilized glass props. Explosives were less common too, but players in general have gotten better at building. In my rule update post a bit ago I outlined a rule (max 3 fading doors operated by button per base) that would help, but glass props are uniquely punishing to raiders. Again, splash damage is one of the only tools a raider has at their disposal. Taking this away makes it impossible to raid properly built bases.

Additional Information: Below is a list of glass props I've proposed to be added to the prop blacklist:

glass_angle180
glass_angle360
glass_angle90
glass_curve180x1
glass_curve180x2
glass_curve360x1
glass_curve360x2
glass_curve90x1
glass_curve90x2
glass_dome180
glass_dome360
glass_dome90
glass_plate1x1
glass_plate1x2
glass_plate2x2
glass_plate2x4
glass_plate4x4

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by hex_
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 4
  • DarkRP Administration Team

+1

I have only recently been told about this by a couple of people. It seems to be a high-level basing defence against high-level raiders. I assume high-level because it’s unlikely lower levels have found this out, or have access to RPG’s etc.

Personally, in order to defend against splash-damage, I choose a larger base (like a warehouse) and sit everything further back from the main entrance. It achieves the same result but in a more simplistic way without requiring these kind of exploits.

The only counter-arguments I would have is that smaller bases won’t be used as much so everyone will be fighting to get a large base. The vast majority of small bases don’t seem to get used as much as they could do already. Secondly, for any serious printer-farmer this might be devastating.. A raid is one thing (loosing some cash or whatever), but blowing up all 12, 16, 24 printers isn’t a small deal. Remembering that these printer farms add good numbers to the server population.

Overall, it makes no difference to me, and it is a kind of exploit.

• Disagree 2

-1 rockets are useless with or without the glass, u cant use them inside and you also are not going to hit any1 cause there peaks are behind the 4 fading keypad doors, even if so the glass makes fun rp for hobos and stuff imo also dont you have multiple base dupes with said no collided glass?

also there is more use for glass rather than making it no collided

While raids are a definite part to the server, it is not the be all end all. For those who take a more casual approach to the game, I think windows add nice detail to non-defense heavy bases (i.e. shops, hotels, displays.) In a defense scenario, it is one of the few tools that help low level players from getting absolutely pulverized by higher level players. 

Edited by Deft
  • 300 IQ 1
  • Agree 1

I am personally against *nearly* all building restrictions. Being able to use the glass in the way you describe allows for more unique and otherwise not possible bases. The community's creative builders would be more likely to do more creative bases in cool spots if they can guarantee their printers will be safe when the raiders come. *

*Hope you guys liked the pretty colors! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Creative 2
  • Informative 1
10 hours ago, Candy_ said:

rockets are useless with or without the glass, u cant use them inside

You can use them inside. Being in a party with friendly fire disabled, as well as grenades being tossed through nocollide. Nerve gas as well.

even if so the glass makes fun rp for hobos and stuff

There are the exact same props, with the exact same proportions on the whitelist, they are made of plastic and metal instead of glass. There are several glass materials to choose from.

dont you have multiple base dupes with said no collided glass

No, they are made of plastic plates.

9 hours ago, Deft said:

For those who take a more casual approach to the game, I think windows add nice detail to non-defence heavy bases

See the second comment above.

9 hours ago, Deft said:

it is one of the few tools that help low level players from getting absolutely pulverized by higher level players

Chris' reply about low level players not knowing about this is quite common in my experience.

8 hours ago, sweet_banana_hips said:

-1 butthurt rocket raider sad he cant blow people up from the outside and actually has to raid like every other player

This isn't constructive, nor is it insightful. Go to shitpost central if you want to be an idiot.

Edited by hex_
  • Informative 1

Just to be clear (hah, get it?) there are multiple glass materials that you can still use, with the literal identical prop dimensions, they are just not made out of glass, instead made of plastic or metal. Example below

?imw=5000&imh=5000

?imw=5000&imh=5000

all tho it would stop people from being raided by rockets.

i dont think garnet meant for them to do that

it could be a built in design and i see a lot of people using it for cosmetic builds

i think they should stay in the game as they are a nice feature

(Pluto statements +1)

On 3/1/2022 at 1:06 AM, sweet_banana_hips said:

-1 butthurt rocket raider sad he cant blow people up from the outside and actually has to raid like every other player

True  and there is a counter to the glass but i still dont know if people are smart enough to know

• Dumb/Shitpost 2

I'm very conflicted, because I can see the side to both of these arguments.

On one hand,

If we remove glass it will be easier to raid people with explosives, which might help with the large amount of unraidable bases. The props can in fact also be replaced pretty easily as there are metal and plastic versions.

On the other hand,

If we remove it, it will mess up people's dupes, which I understand you can fix but a lot of people including myself do not want to go through every single dupe to check whether or not it will spawn correctly, and if it doesnt to then fix it. I also understand a lot of people have fun with these props, enjoying to build with them. There are solutions but a lot of people might not like doing the workarounds (myself included, I have a ton of different dupes I really don't want to go through and fix every single one that has these props.)  

Overall, I see the benefits in both sides, perhaps there is a way to cause the glass to be able to be blown through? Honestly I'm not too sure. For now I'm going to -1 simply because of how much of a pain in the ass its gonna be for everyone to fix their dupes, though if you have a solution to that I think the benefits would outweigh the costs. Again, I don't see spending a while fixing every single one of the dupes that include the glass props to work with plastic/metal to be a solution.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2