DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Gamemaster Faction Assignments

Dillan

Description:

Assignments for Gamemasters on SOC factions. Gamemasters typically have unigue styles. Some GMs prefer to use preset dupes for a non-rp combat situation FFA, or Capture the flag, placing temporary artifical gamemodes around the map, especially thanks to the addition of the Witcher portal system. Some GMs like to make minor RP scenarios, placing npcs or players to guard or ambush, some GMs like to place passive rp buildings, such as camps and unique buildings to promote player RP. 

Problems arise with the player base usually due to miscommunication on what the Gamemaster is trying to create. They also arrise from broken rules during the event, such as a "murder hobo". Players might go off script in a way unplanned. Resulting in a GM feeling like he wasn't satisfying enough for players, or players feeling like Gamemasters don't know what they are trying to create.

I belive in player influenced rp, the player decides how things should go in a set piece. Which is what I'm thinking of here. Players directly requesting a type of player inputed event. By assinging a soc faction to a Gamemaster, they would directly assist the faction to promote this.

An example being if I was assigned to Green Beret. GB would type up an operation they wish to perform based on information or information gathering. Say the information is to be used to PK a player, a 2LT for example. The GM would look at the OP plan, discuss what the options are for it, and approve a final copy. The final copy would be oberseved by the Head GM, depending on what it is, and it would be executed by the Soc team and GM. A GM could set disguises to enter the base to allow for a spotter, make a nest for a sniper to observe from, and execute the player during a peace time. 

Reasoning: 

The result being players influencing the game world, with the GMs just supporting the system. Allowing for soc teams to be more then a team that dominates in certain aspects of war. 

It would also allow creativity from the players, which might influence them to become GMs. Taking some of the creative load off of GMs. 

MRP is fundamentally different then SRP by several margins. Trying to copy storylines is not possible on MRP, considering the Lore differences in the two groups. The PVP aspect is also a factor, considering SRP is PVE. The faction differences are present, a clone is a clone, even if he is a Wolfpack flamer, or a 212th jetpack fly boy, verses different mindsets on war such as rangers focusing on sniping and TSFU in cqc. Copying the SRP event systems would just do not work on MRP.

Additional Information:

This wouldn't remove a GMs ability to create their own events, or create events for entry either. This would just put the ball in players hands on what kind of RP they would enjoy on the server.

I placed this suggestion to see player feedback on MRP, if it's something that would want to be attempted. Low or negative feedback is an answer in of itself.

• Agree 1
  • StarWarsRP Management Team

Placing my opinion here because I've considered something similar.

In my opinion, in terms of looking forwards with our GM team, I feel Factions should take some responsibility in terms of what events they wish to participate in. If members want to do a style of Operation, they contact a GM to help them make it a reality. This way it is still the faction members' responsibility to keep their faction active and doing interesting activities, and GMs aren't always being expected to come up with all the ideas and hope players like it.

Using a quote from your suggestion:

2 minutes ago, Dillan said:

An example being if I was assigned to Green Beret. GB would type up an operation they wish to perform based on information or information gathering. Say the information is to be used to PK a player, a 2LT for example. The GM would look at the OP plan, discuss what the options are for it, and approve a final copy. The final copy would be oberseved by the Head GM, depending on what it is, and it would be executed by the Soc team and GM. A GM could set disguises to enter the base to allow for a spotter, make a nest for a sniper to observe from, and execute the player during a peace time.

This section I already completely agree with, however specifically assigning GMs is the part I'm not sure about. If you took out the bit saying assigned to Green Beret, GMs and Officers could potentially do more as they wouldn't need to organise it with a specific GM, just any available GM.

• Agree 1
15 hours ago, Theos said:

however specifically assigning GMs is the part I'm not sure about

The reasoning behind this, is because Gamemasters would get closer to a faction that they are assigned to. Same logic applys to community engagement in policing. You assign an officer to an area, and they stay in that area, resulting in more informal relationship. It would allow for GMs and their assigned faction to reach a more common ground.

The other reason is due to a chain of command. If you go with any GM on, what's most likely to occur is a faction with just verbally state what they want to do, without any planning within that peacetime, which could result in a higher amount of failed rp elements. 

People generally do not want to do something unless they are made to do it, and assinging narrows the focus. It allows directly allows GMs to know which factions are more supportive towards gms and events, vs pure war factions.