Best retro titles

Adric

Just picked up a retro handheld and curious what games people consider the best for each console. I’ll name some of my personal favorites:

NES: micro machines, urban champion, legend of Zelda, mike Tyson’s punchout 

SNES: Mario RPG, pocky and rocky, mario all stars, actraisers, super Metroid, lufia 1 & 2

Genesis: sonic 3d blast, comix zone, golden axe

GBC/GBA: any of the Pokémon games, fire emblem, any of the wario worlds, Mario and Luigi super star saga

PS1: final fantasy tactics, crash team racing, gauntlet dark legacy, arc the lad, XenoGears 

I decided to get a miyoo v2. It’s 640x480 resolution with about 4 hours of battery life and supports custom firmware so there’s tons of other options to explore but the games I listed will be the first ones to be tested. I need more recommendations. 

IMG_3666.png

NES: Super Mario Brothers 1-3, Punchout, LoZ

SNES: Super Metroid, Super Mario World 1-3, Kirby Super Star

Genesis: Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, really all the sonic games you can't miss

GBC/GBA: The entire Mega Man Battle Network Series, All of the Pokemon Games (I'm an Emerald slut), All the Wario Lands, Sonic Advance 2, every port of the games listed above, Toy Story, Shrek, Tarzan

9 minutes ago, ShankNinja said:

NES: Super Mario Brothers 1-3, Punchout, LoZ

SNES: Super Metroid, Super Mario World 1-3, Kirby Super Star

Genesis: Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, really all the sonic games you can't miss

GBC/GBA: The entire Mega Man Battle Network Series, All of the Pokemon Games (I'm an Emerald slut), All the Wario Lands, Sonic Advance 2, every port of the games listed above, Toy Story, Shrek, Tarzan

How weird is it that the Tarzan and Hercules games were actually pretty good? Especially on the ps1. Usually movie tie-ins are complete hot garbage. 

yes, I’m gonna get into mmbn and go through the series. Always wanted to but I never had it on handheld or when I did on the gpd win it was never a viable system to play on

17 minutes ago, Hoal said:

I have a broken NDS

Make a gba macro out of the bottom screen. Unless the bottom screen is broken, then just play on the top screen. Unless the whole system won’t turn on in which case it could be a slew of problems. Sometimes the batteries can go out and it’s just a simple change because the batteries being weird or it can be a complete disconnection somewhere in the copper lines on the board, or even just a busted component like capacitor or something. As long as the IC’s are intact it’s repairable. 

Must haves for the SNES:
Zelda: A Link to the Past , Super Metroid , Super Mario World , DK Country , Contra III , Kirby Super Star, Street Fighter 2

If you aint playin Battletoads and Earthworm Jim on the Sega Genesis wtf are you doin.

3 hours ago, Proggy said:

Must haves for the SNES:
Zelda: A Link to the Past , Super Metroid , Super Mario World , DK Country , Contra III , Kirby Super Star, Street Fighter 2

If you aint playin Battletoads and Earthworm Jim on the Sega Genesis wtf are you doin.

All super great titles especially Kirby super star with like 5 games in 1. I spent an entire summer one year with my roommate playing battletoads until we could finally get past that stupid speeder part! Worst part of multiplayer battletoads is doing the vertical stages and accidentally using the move where you swing across the screen and smack the shit outta your partner. 

37 minutes ago, Deft said:

You ain’t got Aladdin for the Sega Genesis?????

spacer.png

Bro!!i enjoyed this game so much unironically as a kid and completely slept on it till you reminded me

• Forums Moderator

With regards to the GBA, I currently have two. My first and original one from when I was a kid is in grey, and the red is my new backlit-modded one (given I didn't want to mess up my original, and surprise-surprise it stopped working lmao). My absolute favourite game was Mario Kart: Super Circuit, and I used to play that at every chance I could as a kid and still love a blast on it now. Other than that, I did like playing Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure quite a bit but often became pretty enraged by it 😂 I used to borrow a lot of games off friends and try things out, but those two games stand out by a mile.

2P68agw.png 

As far as the PS1 goes I could name literally a ton of incredible games, but I'll pick a few for now (and yes I still have my PS1 as it happens):

007 The World is not Enough was the first proper FPS game I ever played, and while the controls are horrible by todays standards, the gameplay was actually pretty good and offered a decent challenge with tons of cinematic snippets from the film and generally an absolute blast! Highly recommended 

5169HF5VQKL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Gran Turismo was a breathtakingly awesome driving game, and for it's time it really offered a huge number of cars and tracks to race on and a whole learner-school which really pushed my interests into racing and is probably one of the reasons I follow Formula 1 to this day. It's the original in it's long series and I feel that they started off exactly how they wished to continue, with a circuit-based realistic racing game.

1a5a784da1aa34d855e5b913739606e9.jpg

Who doesn't love Spyro!? And while The Year of the Dragon wasn't the first game in the series, I feel that this one offered a whole lot more in terms of puzzles and new playstyles to try out, with a much more refined feel to the finished game than I think the first one did. Either way, they're all great and this one to me really stood out!

51ZQQH95PBL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Forums Moderator
39 minutes ago, Adric said:

@ChrisRidyou should do game reviews lol. Sounds like it’s time to get a soldering kit and checking for cold joints or a disconnection. Could be a fun project.

Soldering's the easy part, I need a nifty way to get past these bloody security scews lmao 😂

ITHPoAK.jpg

4 hours ago, ChrisRid said:

Soldering's the easy part, I need a nifty way to get past these bloody security scews lmao 😂

ITHPoAK.jpg

It’s just a triwing, I sent shank a link to a pair of triwing and Phillips for these specific fixes I can send to you. It’s like $3 for the both. 

Archived