DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Mayor Laws

Description:  I suggest making an exhaustive list of laws that are acceptable for the Mayor to make, or at least all that you can think of as to not suppress creativity. (partly making this because I have run out of ideas)
Reasoning:
My creativity has been stifled as Mayor by staff telling me my laws are minge (some were), or that they don't show in logs so I can't make them. Even laws that are RP based where the police must interact with the citizens to find out if they are breaking the law and citizens can make up a story of their own allowing an easy way to avoid being arrested.

This clarification will allow an easy reference for staff and players to know if a law is unacceptable.

• Like 2

idrk if I should put a -1 or +1 but I feel like it would be cool to have this, but have a list of laws that you CANT have instead of ones you can, because then people can still be creative without the laws falling under some bullshit like "Hobos = KOS" or "Outside = AOS"

• Like 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

+1

I think a list of good / bad laws would be helpful as it can be a bit of a grey area, so it can only be positive. I will add though that I don't think it should be conclusive, it's great to allow players some creativity and I'm sure there's people who could think of a ton of better ideas than I could, so I wouldn't want to take that away from them.

This is just an example of the kind of list you could make, maybe if the staff team were to brain-storm a load of decent examples:

sKi7mAu.png

Feel like there should definitely be some sort of standard for this.

When i played last week one of the laws stated that all eXg members were exempt from the law list which just made absolutely no sense.

+1

Edited by Simon G
  • Haha 2
  • DarkRP Administration Team

I agree, +1

Though I think a list of non-applicable laws is probably less time-consuming to write out as opposed to a list of stuff that is okay to do. Either way I would love a list in case I wanted to be a tyrannical Mayor but without breaking some kind of rule.

Hello!

As a certified bad mayor, my tip is:

if a player can avoid it and it doesn't restrict class choice, it is fine

examples (good): 

weapons/rt aos|ld

vapes/poop/boots aos

lottery wins AOS

Examples (bad):

rooftops aos

<class> aos

selling weapons aos

hobos must be below ground

adverts aos

gravgun aos

if a player can avoid breaking the law without undue hardship (for instance, for my grey area lotto law, my argument was entering the lottery is nonessential and completely voluntary) it is fine. if it impedes movement or basic gameplay, it is illegal

you will meet some mods who try and tell you that laws are minge when they're not, but as long as you keep the above principles in mind you can succesfully argue for a wide variety of laws

the other key is they cannot be too vague

for instance, you might be able to get away with "calling mayor's wife ugly AOS", but "disrespecting PD" is not allowed. it is because in the first example it is very clear what you have to avoid whereas with the second pd can use basically anything you say or do to arrest you

In conclusion, here are my awful (but all confirmed legal) laws

Weapons/RT AOS|LD

Boots/vapes/poop AOS|LD

911 CALLS AOS|LD

Lotto wins AOS

Crime in/near PD=lockdown

forgot to add 

the reason why there is not a "disallowed" list is to allow for new situations

if we had a disallowed list and someone came up with a uniquely and clearly mingey law, they'd argue that it was by default it is allowed bc it isn't listed

Edited by mossly
owo
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • DarkRP Management Team

Accepted. 

A clarification on what constitutes a minge law will be added in the next update to the DarkRP rules. 🙂