DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Sortition, Democracy, and Mayoral Elections

I had some ideas to make the PD/Mayor side of DarkRP more democratic and engaging for the whole server.

First is Mayor elections; I just don't think being the Mayor should be locked behind lvl 50, and I think anyone should be able to run for mayor through elections. The second is referendum, essentially I think the mayor should be able to hold referendums so the server can more directly participate in making/repealing laws and PD matters. Third is sortition; I think the mayor should be able to hold lotteries for free and with multiple winners so a small sample of volunteers can gather and plan things like new laws or other things.

I think this should all be optional, I don't think a mayor wanting to be a dictator is a bad thing, I just want more options for mayors who want a democratic approach.

• Disagree 1
  • DarkRP Administration Team

-1 First of all it simply would not work at all. second of all voting to become a job is so old school, I'm willing to bet only a handful of servers use voting mechanics when it comes to stuff like this.  plus, if you and a bunch of people don't like someone you can team up and press no and that person will never be mayor ever.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chawhead said:

-1 First of all it simply would not work at all. second of all voting to become a job is so old school, I'm willing to bet only a handful of servers use voting mechanics when it comes to stuff like this.  plus, if you and a bunch of people don't like someone you can team up and press no and that person will never be mayor ever.

1. How. 2. We're playing a game that released in 2006, claiming something to be "old school" isn't an argument. 3. Another group of people could get together and vote yes in opposition, having conflicts like that is the point. It's like saying there's no point to building bases because raids exist, or that being the mayor in general is useless because some guy can always place a hit on you. 

• Disagree 1
14 hours ago, tadtad31 said:

this isn't a democracy its a monarchy and monkey is king also i dont know what half those words mean (I do agree with the level thing tho just lower it to like 30)

Referendum means you hold a topic/idea to a group of people to vote on directly, basically a public opinion poll. Sortition means you pick representatives (or people in general) randomly by lottery rather than elections. I think all final decisions should still be up to the mayor for players who want to take the dictator/monarch route, like monkey.

wtfym old school isn't an argument as things change new things will come in and most dark rp servers have gotten rid of the voting system therefor making it old school just because the game is old doesn't mean the parts of the game that have changed over time cant be considered old

Edited by tadtad31
  • Agree 1
27 minutes ago, tadtad31 said:

wtfym old school isn't an argument as things change new things will come in and most dark rp servers have gotten rid of the voting system therefor making it old school just because the game is old doesn't mean the parts of the game that have changed over time cant be considered old

and? i mean that being old in and of itself isn't a bad thing, so what if it's old? and if there is a legit reason why it's bad then i have yet to hear it.

• Disagree 1

Lifespan of the mayor is too short to try and do any of this with a plugin.

The mayor should be able to roleplay their own Referendums using the PD meeting room with the podium or any location really.

Voting system sounds alright but when you consider the pop up would be appearing many many times a day as a dead Mayor tries to "re-elect" himself repeatedly or as other people join it. Especially considering your suggestion includes lowering the level cap, it goes from sounding alright to sounding awful. As a player, I don't really want to vote on the mayor at all. If I don't like the mayor, I'll put in a hit, raid their base, or do whatever it takes to end their life in roleplay.

I don't think level 50 is hard to accomplish or get to, and believe that the level cap exists to ensure a prospective Mayor has at least played long enough to have tried several of the classes, seen other Mayors in action, and understand how the server works. It's not a job anybody should get to within an hour of joining the server - even the basic PD has a level cap (although this is more because they get a gun for free)

The sortition doesn't make a lot of sense. Lotteries for free? Who's funding it? If you're wanting to gather people to come up with new laws and ideas, I don't think making an exception in the lottery system for a mayor for money to appear out of thin air should be something added to the game. If you're saying the Mayor should foot the bill, taxes, the PD vault, etc., then this information should be included in your suggestion. Either way, sounds like another thing to handle via RP.

All around it sounds like the suggestion is asking for some plugin-enforced handholding to an already hard to roleplay scenario. If you start gathering people around the mayor on a server like this chances are he's just going to die anyways.

• Agree 1
48 minutes ago, ShankNinja said:

Lifespan of the mayor is too short to try and do any of this with a plugin.

The mayor should be able to roleplay their own Referendums using the PD meeting room with the podium or any location really.

Voting system sounds alright but when you consider the pop up would be appearing many many times a day as a dead Mayor tries to "re-elect" himself repeatedly or as other people join it. Especially considering your suggestion includes lowering the level cap, it goes from sounding alright to sounding awful. As a player, I don't really want to vote on the mayor at all. If I don't like the mayor, I'll put in a hit, raid their base, or do whatever it takes to end their life in roleplay.

I don't think level 50 is hard to accomplish or get to, and believe that the level cap exists to ensure a prospective Mayor has at least played long enough to have tried several of the classes, seen other Mayors in action, and understand how the server works. It's not a job anybody should get to within an hour of joining the server - even the basic PD has a level cap (although this is more because they get a gun for free)

The sortition doesn't make a lot of sense. Lotteries for free? Who's funding it? If you're wanting to gather people to come up with new laws and ideas, I don't think making an exception in the lottery system for a mayor for money to appear out of thin air should be something added to the game. If you're saying the Mayor should foot the bill, taxes, the PD vault, etc., then this information should be included in your suggestion. Either way, sounds like another thing to handle via RP.

All around it sounds like the suggestion is asking for some plugin-enforced handholding to an already hard to roleplay scenario. If you start gathering people around the mayor on a server like this chances are he's just going to die anyways.

I think you make a lot of good points, constant reelections would get tiring fast, the popup could be made small and put off to the side to help. You misunderstood what I mean by a free lottery, You don't get free money, it just allows the mayor to set the buy-in to $0 to act as a way to randomly select a limited number of volunteers for RP purposes. If I were to only choose 1 of my original ideas to be implemented, the $0 lotto would probably be it, it's the least demanding to implement as you just have to change the $1000 minimum to $0, and it doesn't do any of the handholding you mentioned as it's little more than a random player picker.

Edited by Comrat
  • Like 1

neutral

sure i like monarchist mayors, but man i really want to play a democratic mayor.

I want to make a committee of all the important people from each group (Raiders, PD, Hobos, Other).

Ignore all the hate, they just dont want to have their power taken away.

• Like 1

monkey i was advocating for your power as a dictator but i do like represented like a hobo lord taken more as a lord and a mafia boss to cover raiders with the bloods crpits and grove leaders filling the purpose with a class for legal jobs (trashman deliveryman parcorest ext) and mayor for the CP