DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Another Wacky Goofy Suggestion

shrimp

Shrimps again. I've always been a proponent of sort of ridiculous things being hidden behind a paywall on gMod servers, and today I thought I'd bring an old project that I had worked on during the summer to the surface to once again see the light of day.

Incendiary Ammunition
More specifically, a singular weapon that can be loaded with armor-piercing incendiaries or something along those lines. One thing I already have the code for is an OSV-96, a .50 caliber Russian AMR chambered in 12.7x108mm. The SWEP itself is a modification of the M82A3 and the .416 Barrett attachment for that particular weapon has been altered to act as an incendiary ammo conversion.

The attachment itself dials down the damage of the weapon from 110(?) to 90-ish, making it not kill in one shot, however the incendiary ammo ignites the player for a few seconds using an auxiliary function, typically killing the average player if hit in a location that deals the full 90 damage. It's simple, effective, and pretty darn fun. Having a weapon like this, that's still balanced, supremely entertaining, fits into the context of the server, and useful in the current meta would be a big hit in the donation store. I would recommend an extraordinary price for this weapon if implemented, but it's up to the big man himself.

Use in game effectively boils down to a very slow shooting, long range semi-automatic anti-materiel rifle. Thing does some damage, comes at a hefty price, and doesn't do well up close. I doubt this will have any effect on the current meta besides being humiliating for everyone who gets burned to death and being bragging rights for every player that puts down the money for it. It's a quick and easy way to generate a bit of revenue.

Let me know what you think, here's the code for the ignition function:

local igniteLength = 10
hook.Add("EntityTakeDamage", "playersgettingshot", function(target, dmginfo)
    if target:IsPlayer() then
        print(dmginfo:GetAttacker():GetActiveWeapon():GetPrimaryAmmoType())
        if dmginfo:GetAttacker():GetActiveWeapon():GetPrimaryAmmoType() == game.GetAmmoID('12.7x108mm API') then
            target:Ignite(igniteLength)
        end
    end
end)

Also, yes this does work, it's been tested with multiple CW firearms from multiple addons with multiple damage types.

Edited by shrimpus
  • Spicy 1
  • Winner 2
6 minutes ago, Garnet said:

too sandbox-like for MRP

With the stock visual effect of the classic ignition, yeah I can see that. If the burn time was brought down to like a second or less, just the quick flash of a fire effect might be a nice touch rather than something to fuck up the aesthetics of the server. Personally, I think it's a good way to enhance the donation store and spice things up a little, as well as (as seen above) make some quick money which (I know) isn't your primary motive or even a motive to begin with, but it helps the community in the long run.

Edited by shrimpus
  • The Garnut
Just now, shrimp said:

With the stock visual effect of the classic ignition, yeah I can see that. If the burn time was brought down to like a second or less, just the quick flash of a fire effect might be a nice touch rather than something to fuck up the aesthetics of the server. Personally, I think it's a good way to enhance the donation store and spice things up a little, as well as (as seen above) make some quick money.

I could most definitely introduce a unique weapon unboxing system, where heck, you could unbox a fire breathing M4A1s that glows red and shoots fire in place of bullets and lights enemies on fire. I just feel like it'd be too much for the server, considering we're already maintaining super low roleplay standards. AY NAYGAS I LIT DAT FROGMAN ON FIRA!!!

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Garnet said:

just feel like it'd be too much for the server

Well yeah when you put it like that. I'm just thinking this is a super easy way to casually introduce a slightly ridiculous element. Not a big deal either way though.

If this were to be introduced. It would be best to make the visual effects of the person who has been hit as minimal as possible. It would be extremely annoying to get caught on fire and for your screen to be filled up with either flames or a red blood splatter that covers your entire screen and inhibits your ability to fight in combat while on fire. I remember when the map was black for Halloween, and when you would get shot your screen would go completely red and you could not see shit. Everyone complained about this and it was extremely annoying. The best thing that I would say would to have some tiny flame effects at the bottom of the screen and every time that you took damage, you would get the slightest red screen.

However, all of this depends on if the damage effects are even able to be edited in such a way. Let’s hope, because I really like this idea but it could get really annoying if it inhibits people combat ability. 

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

considering we're already maintaining super low roleplay standards.

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

Figured they were too sandbox-like for MRP.

Irony 

On a serious note, I wouldn’t think it would be too much of a roleplay problem to implement. I could see where explosive and poison rounds could worsen the seriousness of rp, but in the end incendiary wouldn’t be too much of a stretch.  

Also wouldnt the effects of incendiary rounds basically match poison?

Edited by {GG} Bishopil
17 hours ago, Garnet said:

I could most definitely introduce a unique weapon unboxing system, where heck, you could unbox a fire breathing M4A1s that glows red and shoots fire in place of bullets and lights enemies on fire. I just feel like it'd be too much for the server, considering we're already maintaining super low roleplay standards. AY NAYGAS I LIT DAT FROGMAN ON FIRA!!!

How about some more donors all around eh? Bizon, maybe SOPMOD AR for another Assault Rifle eh? The OSV would be nice too. I’d rather have lots of new donor guns (cause I’m me and they make me feel more confident in combat knowing I’ve got like 15 guns at the ready) than have weird ammo types. Again I think I’ve suggested the FAMAS and Bizon and all in the past, but I think those would be better than a fire shooting M4 

• The Garnut
32 minutes ago, Captainswag said:

How about some more donors all around eh? Bizon, maybe SOPMOD AR for another Assault Rifle eh? The OSV would be nice too. I’d rather have lots of new donor guns (cause I’m me and they make me feel more confident in combat knowing I’ve got like 15 guns at the ready) than have weird ammo types. Again I think I’ve suggested the FAMAS and Bizon and all in the past, but I think those would be better than a fire shooting M4 

That’s a whole other suggestion.

If this gets a little more support I guess I’ll toss it on the server. It is possible to create a fake fire effect using gifs at the bottom of your screen, but that’s just silly 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Garnet said:

It is possible to create a fake fire effect using gifs

We might not even need a fire effect. It maybe best to  just have the fire sound effect and a slight as minimal as possible red screen every time damage was dealt from the fire. Because I agree that it may look goofy with small tiny flames at the bottom of your screen.

And from the view of another player, it would just be the normal 3rd person fire effect on an entity. Unless this could possibly cause issues with how the game runs smoothly. I could possible see how if there were a bunch of fire effects upon a lot of entity’s, the server may lag a bit. But I have no idea how this type of stuff works really.

Edited by AwesomeAidan
15 minutes ago, AwesomeAidan said:

possibly cause issues with how the game runs smoothly.

Unless you have half the server on fire at the same time and within your render distance, there shouldn't be any noticeable differences.

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAidan said:

minimal as possible

We shouldn't need to worry too much about  the effect. If you get hit by it, it'll last for a second or you're already dead.