A solution to "SNIPER META" - Steady Grip

Nutter

The values regarding the breathing system within CW provide a lot of freedom to manipulate the system in a way that best fits the server, and hopefully over time with feedback, we'll be able to arrive at the ideal numbers. Tap-firing, similar to Counter-Strike, would also be something I'm personally interested in, as a way to increase the effectiveness of assault rifles at medium range and further diversifying the meta. Let me know if anyone's interested in seeing that.

• Agree 2
29 minutes ago, Garnet said:

This system works by playing around with your players' vision by slightly nudging it around when you are carrying a weapon, typically, the heavier, the more prominent the effect is. If possible, implementing such feature on our Military themed server will result in snipers with "unsteady hands" who cannot just point-and-click to kill opponents, unless within a relatively short distance.

This system  does exist with the NXS Scope variant currently(The most commonly scope used). Players are still able to hit shots and perform accurately while using this scope and when I use it, I do not even need to press shift to steady my scope. Here is a video below to show how this system works with the scope currently and what other scopes look like. If you do add a system like this, I suggest that you make it more difficult then the system that is currently with the NXS scope because of how easy it is to still hit shots.

Edited by AwesomeAidan
  • Agree 1
  • The Garnut
43 minutes ago, AwesomeAidan said:

This system  does exist with the NXS Scope variant currently(The most commonly scope used). Players are still able to hit shots and perform accurately while using this scope and when I use it, I do not even need to press shift to steady my scope. Here is a video below to show how this system works with the scope currently and what other scopes look like. If you do add a system like this, I suggest that you make it more difficult then the system that is currently with the NXS scope because of how easy it is to still hit shots.

My post was very specific in saying we will adapt a newly created system that I will likely be coding over the course of the following week (don't quote me on a date). We will likely not utilize the already built-in system unless I find it effective. The current only moves in vertical motions, which are very predictable and easy to counter.

1 hour ago, Redacted said:

I like the idea but id also would like to see more opportunities to utilize the orsis's bipod. 

Utilizing a bipod will negate any negative effects.

• Like 1

I know this might be stupid. so don't judge me too hard.

I feel like something that may work is coding in a new experience system. By getting kills with snipers you can use the points gained from leveling up for better scopes, faster ADS movement, longer/steadier breath. This may be a bitch and a half to code, but I think it may give another way to progress on the server. You could possibly use these same points to give people bonuses like like recoil or faster fire rate.

Idk, this was just an idea.

• Disagree 4
  • The Garnut
6 minutes ago, Ting said:

I know this might be stupid. so don't judge me too hard.

I feel like something that may work is coding in a new experience system. By getting kills with snipers you can use the points gained from leveling up for better scopes, faster ADS movement, longer/steadier breath. This may be a bitch and a half to code, but I think it may give another way to progress on the server. You could possibly use these same points to give people bonuses like like recoil or faster fire rate.

Idk, this was just an idea.

This wouldn't be hard to code, but you're already giving players who are at advantage a.. larger advantage?  

Regardless, an off-topic post.

• Like 1

Giving the snipers this new system would work out well in my opinion. Restricting the point-and-click gameplay, while keeping snipers useable. The effect of this though would most likely be everyone switching to a DMR like the M14 to counter the sniper’s new stats. Although, this wouldn’t be the best counter due to it then taking several shots to kill a combatant.

I think that while it'll be annoying to re-adapt to using a sniper that has different type of Sway, It'll be effective.

For example, The Lightweight Orsis T-5000 would have less sway than a uhhhh M82 Barrett .50 Cal
Or Am I think about this in reverse?

If what I think is the case Garnet,  wouldn't having the Sway dependant on "weapon weight" only encourage Orsis to be even more Meta?

1 hour ago, Homast said:

I think that while it'll be annoying to re-adapt to using a sniper that has different type of Sway, It'll be effective.

For example, The Lightweight Orsis T-5000 would have less sway than a uhhhh M82 Barrett .50 Cal
Or Am I think about this in reverse?

If what I think is the case Garnet,  wouldn't having the Sway dependant on "weapon weight" only encourage Orsis to be even more Meta?

No one uses the Barrett as is so I think that would give an even bigger reason to use the orsis over it

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, JimTrash said:

Giving the snipers this new system would work out well in my opinion. Restricting the point-and-click gameplay, while keeping snipers useable. The effect of this though would most likely be everyone switching to a DMR like the M14 to counter the sniper’s new stats. Although, this wouldn’t be the best counter due to it then taking several shots to kill a combatant.

If you hit the first shot then it would be really easy to kill the sniper due to aimpunch and they miss. While they have to pull the bolt back you can fire another shot and kill them. DMRs are really good this way and make you have to react a lot faster because you need 2 or more shots to kill. But aimpunch would cripple the sniper and make it that much easier for you to kill them. 

1 hour ago, Homast said:

Unlikely. Probably going to be scaled to damage, so anything that's a one shot is going to have pretty dramatic sway.

5 minutes ago, Gamma said:

While they have to pull the bolt back you can fire another shot and kill them.

Because of this, sniper gameplay is going to deviate from the current meta of just running around and going into head to head sniper battles to more calculated and strategic stationary sniping. No more running around, pausing for a moment, flicking a pixel 150m away, and moving on with your life. This will force players to take their time, carefully choose their targets, and seek out positions that will help them retain the most cover without being seen.

• 300 IQ 2
  • Informative 1

This seems like an interesting idea, could definitely switch up "the meta"

9 minutes ago, shrimp said:

Because of this, sniper gameplay is going to deviate from the current meta of just running around and going into head to head sniper battles to more calculated and strategic stationary sniping. No more running around, pausing for a moment, flicking a pixel 150m away, and moving on with your life. This will force players to take their time, carefully choose their targets, and seek out positions that will help them retain the most cover without being seen.

For slow, arthritic pensioners like myself, I'd prefer this method of sniping over what we currently have.

16 minutes ago, PraetorDon said:

I'd prefer this method of sniping over what we currently have.

Something I'd like to include with static sniping is changing the death screen to being completely black. What most players do after getting shot from god knows where, from my experience, is utilize the few seconds after death to look around and try to weed out a sniper's position without the risk of dying (again). This currently makes the static sniper play style pretty difficult unless you're constantly rotating, otherwise you have the people you just killed coming right to where you are.

• Agree 5

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines