Remove "Media Mic Spam" rule

StillWohMi

Not allowing media mic spam but allowing "mic spam" is such a strange rule to have. Why would DarkRP encourage annoying screeching and yelling, but be warned if someone is playing music? I don't really get it, nor have I ever seen this rule enforced before. I clearly remember several unofficial "events" where me and other high-ranking players sang songs, included with MEDIA. In fact, why is playing songs classified as mic spam? I think it's really easy to distinguish "hey this guy is blasting the soviet anthem, he's micspamming" vs "wow this guy is playing david bowie music."   At the very least the rule should be softened to not include non-earrape-y music.

Please, tell me if you would change anything about this statement in the comments!

Sincerely,

WohMi

• Disagree 2

-1, First of all there's a proper format that you must follow when making suggestions but thats not too important. Now to get on to the actual suggestion itself, it's not a good idea to allow media micspam. Media Micspam can be 100% worse than normal Micspam. As far as "Staff not enforcing the rule", that's not true. Anytime media micspam has been reported I've warned and muted for 5 minutes as well as I've seen many other Staff do that as well such as Lynde, Stevie, and capalot. Removing this rule does absolutely no good for the server which is one of the requirements to write about in the proper suggestion format. If you want to get rid of Micspam than sure a suggestion can be made about that. But allowing Media Micspam will just cause more EarRape and More Minge. As far as the Events go, its an event so if staff are controlling the situation. I don't know whether thats allowed or not however its better than a random hobo mindlessly media mic spamming fortnite earrape. If you do catch a staff member media mic spamming /report them and they will be dealt with like every other play on the server who breaks that rule.

If you care here's the link to the proper formatting for suggestions 

Edited by AparhsTurtle
add suggestion link
8 minutes ago, AparhsTurtle said:

-1, First of all there's a proper format that you must follow when making suggestions but thats not too important. Now to get on to the actual suggestion itself, it's not a good idea to allow media micspam. Media Micspam can be 100% worse than normal Micspam. As far as "Staff not enforcing the rule", that's not true. Anytime media micspam has been reported I've warned and muted for 5 minutes as well as I've seen many other Staff do that as well such as Lynde, Stevie, and capalot. Removing this rule does absolutely no good for the server which is one of the requirements to write about in the proper suggestion format. If you want to get rid of Micspam than sure a suggestion can be made about that. But allowing Media Micspam will just cause more EarRape and More Minge. As far as the Events go, its an event so if staff are controlling the situation. I don't know whether thats allowed or not however its better than a random hobo mindlessly media mic spamming fortnite earrape. If you do catch a staff member media mic spamming /report them and they will be dealt with like every other play on the server who breaks that rule.

That's not what I want though, I just want to be able to play normal music and not get warned for it.

Just now, StillWohMi said:

That's not what I want though, I just want to be able to play normal music and not get warned for it.

I get that 100%, but not everyone is you. There will be minges who abuse that rule in order to play toxic ear rape

Just now, AparhsTurtle said:

I get that 100%, but not everyone is you. There will be minges who abuse that rule in order to play toxic ear rape

So just make it so the music isn't earrapey. I just think that normal music that isn't being blasted max volume should be allowed.

+1

Isn't the point of being a hobo to annoy the crap out of players? I mean I know that's not the main point but still that's a huge point of it.

like it takes away the fun of being a hobo and just annoying the crap out of players for money. 

It's definitely going to be really annoying to hear But there's already a option to mute players? So then again I don't know why this should be a rule and you can just mute the player if you're annoyed by it.

Yeah in my opinion it shouldn't be a rule It's just stupid when you can already mute a player. 

• Agree 1
34 minutes ago, AparhsTurtle said:

But if you're looking to prevent minging don't you think that the answer would be just to not allow mic spamming?  If you're allowing it then that's what's going to cause players to be mingy but then again it's a hobo they're supposed to do anything to get money.  (Legal ofc)

Reasons as follows, If players are able to media mic spam they could play anything on youtube that could be very mingy. Anything by ram ranch or something super racist. It should stay in place as it could be abused by many players and when stopped by staff we cannot tell the player to not play that and they respond with oh other staff told me that we could. We would just be running around in circles to figure out what is okay and what is not okay as we all have a different taste in music. 

It's easier to make it a rule of no media micspam than to try and limit the 100s of thousands different songs and media on youtube or from any other media player.

-LASDSheriffDog

Edited by LASDSheriffDog

+1 to an extent as I think it would be on a case by case basis where it would be okay to play a fairly chill song as long as it wasn’t too loud or ear-rapey but if it is obviously done just to hurt other players ears than it could be a verbal but if it continues it would be a warn

I can agree to some extent that media mic spam has different levels of "toxicity" but the reason i'm -1'ing is because it's impossible to define the boundaries of toxicity. I assume the argument that could be made is that the staff member should be able to recognize these different limits but certain media mic spam that may be extremely irritating and annoying to one staff member may not be at all annoying to another. There is no way to define the boundaries of media mic spam without subjectivity taking over and will cause a number of players taking advantage of the situation and seeing how far they can push it. Furthermore and most importantly, nobody wants to hear your shitty music.

• Agree 1

I give a -1 to the idea of removing the rule entirely. I am enticed by the idea of a job relating to media mic spam (Music, podcasts, etc.). I can't get on board with the idea of having no rules to keep obnoxious minges in check.

• 3 weeks later...

While a job might be allowed to use soundboards/media in the future (like dj or radio host), there isn't a definite line between what's mingey and what isn't. It varies for every person. Removing this rule would only cause more problems on the server. Moving this to denied.