[MRP] Spring Cleaning

shrimp

2 hours ago, shrimp said:

Structure

• 1.1 Faction Layouts & Purpose

• 1.1.1 The Scale

Right, let’s get started here. I think it’s no secret that with the recent removal of Marines, the grand scale of the server is finding itself a bit more on the balanced side. However, the removal of Marines opened a void for AFSOC to fill, thus restoring the long withstanding and prehistoric imbalance between US, RU, and formerly Afghan. In my entire time on the server, the US has always had at least one more faction than its opposition, and at most three. The current layout looks something like this on the US side.

-> USASF -> RRC
      Army -> AFSOC
      -> MARSOC -> DEVGRU

The structure is clearly and distinctly split into both an Army and Navy branch, starting and converging on single points, giving a very straightforward path of progression. It is a functional model that has been proven to work well over the years, while inviting a lot of room for drawing down the chain of command, and discouraging inter-faction fuckery. The RU model looks a little different right now.

-> GRU

2GA -> SSO -> Vega

-> PDSS

I know I talk about this a lot, however it should be alarming enough that the two sides of what should be a symmetrical server are anything but. Progression in the wild-west era of the server under Gildarts’ administration typically boiled down to any players of reasonable quality jumping immediately into one SF faction, making their friends, and staying there for their duration on the server. Anyone less fortunate to be selected typically found themselves stuck in a base faction for months, and not by choice. This is a very backwards practice of the server that became normalized under Gildarts. Players should be the ones choosing the faction or path they take in the server, not the groups of friends that make up the factions. It’s just bad for business.

• 1.1.2 OMRP

The solution for the aforementioned problem is literally in balancing the scale, and sticking to it. RU happens to be down a faction, particularly on it’s Naval side. PDSS is lacking a T1 counterpart to feed into, which has resulted in obvious problems. My recommendation is adding OMRP, or Russian Naval Special Reconnaissance. Other than that this is another SF unit in the Russian Navy, OMRP is useful to fill the gap here for a variety of reasons that I will get to later on. With adding a faction comes with its more obvious questions of weapons, models, and leadership. These questions will be answered later on, but I think many of you will come to understand that choice of leadership will no longer be as big of an issue as in the recent past.

I also highly expect a large number of the current generation of RU players to come with arguments of ‘we’re fine how we are, and another faction would just complicate things’. To that I say, for how long? The instability of the server caused by imbalances as large as entire factions has contributed to countless heaps of nonsensical bullshit. Actions described in this thread are being suggested with the intention of improving the sustainability, retention and quality of the server permanently. Being proactive rather than reactive and finally mopping up an old mess.

With the addition of OMRP, the RU model changes to look like this.

-> GRU -> SSO
      2GA -> Vega
      -> PDSS -> OMRP

Looks familiar, doesn’t it? With this model, we can start drawing parallels from RU to the US side of the server (finally). MARSOC is equal to GRU, PDSS is equal to GB, SSO is equal to DEVGRU, and OMRP would be equal to RRC all in terms of class setup. Done deal.

Class

Russian OMRP : Rifleman

Russian OMRP : Surgeon 

Russian OMRP : Spectre

Russian OMRP : Commander

Primary

khr_cz858

N/A

cw_jng90

khr_cz858

Secondary

khr_cz52

khr_cz52

khr_cz52

khr_cz52

Equipment

N/A

fas2_ifak

N/A

N/A

Model

tH8srmsJxw1r4jsj3nNFwXn9cNibEVVsqETY_29RYX0yt4L1L70KrnBr15CAr1frapJBvRTWoyJ79t_AjJ0CTX2CV7i0j5gQKBmoUMafiibyPstzfMDKURXxt34xH69F-0EbrNoZ

joYEiHFb6qSI7CUxWF8WvZ9Rf6IFrEKGxdN-GsMw3Vgm6Ck6XAZPJ-xOYlC8COMmEazTsAKEUM6g0Sm2z7LE5lx947mUeNdcsAsnM9jIvHC8szmjOXshLzfhd_8wQDPW0GmWL36d

ulqGoEt8d_44BTQbzMoqUngFE1f5Ncfrq3LflR-VQUfdLBuFOXrkCFH2X_wYy9-7rbY7KEW1iiQx8lXUjidgvfbE4ZMre-Xc4qAhow1UHUnhcuxHlZ5lNgCqIN07qQGgQcdI1y4x

pDPzStrdBD299RAfxZKeDNpnGavvjxCRwMFxgGQdeVEkWOGrbjHQNN37uwOVGCv1rcYrDUHUQWDhauf2WSU2MKYqawvcNUTLDvyGk6veX55b3anSPDeAWBaANy0V5DtfZzxO7WzK

I do like the idea of an additonal faction for Russia. Having another alternative could be very beneficial in terms of attraction and letting the playerbase have more options and opportunity.

Although, I feel like this whole idea of "balancing" stems from how the server was when we played on it. It's not necessarily a major issue that a lot of people call on anymore because it isn't. Russia performs decently on having balanced factions WHEN the numbers are there, and the same thing can be applied to how US is. 

I am in support of adding it. Understandable how some leaders may be upset because they weren't brought into the talks about another faction being intigrated but I wouldn't doubt a proper leadership could be made from it.

• 1.1.3 Identity

Now that the factions look a little less fucked, we can talk about each faction's respective purpose from an RP standpoint. The function of a faction is important in retaining its niche on the server. For the longest time, most of the factions on the server attempted to fill the same role, and in some essence, it naturally aligned the server by competitive methods. Over time, factions gradually established their roles in the server other than simply just ‘War Factions’. Some of these roles happened to be more explicit than others. For example, MARSOC or GRU might attribute themselves as being ‘Sniper Factions’ due to the presence of sniper classes in both, however it’s not something directly stated in the server rules or otherwise. This often results in, over time, factions bouncing around and not sticking to what should be their one and only niche. Something that occurs as a result of this is two factions occupying the same role, one doing it far better, and the other being deemed redundant as a result. When the factions are what make up the server, and an entire faction being worthless is basically 10% null and void.

Not cool.

Ironing out a faction’s purpose is the first step in reorganizing the entire faction around that single purpose. It needs to be explicit, clearly defined, and consistent. Faction leaders should not be able to decide the function of 10% of the server at a whim. With the recent resurgence of RP and the introduction of the event server, establishing purpose is more important than ever so that members of the server understand exactly what it is they should be doing when under the microscope. A brief chart of faction purposes would look something like this (open to suggestions here), and most are pretty self-explanatory.

11B

United States Infantry

2GA

Russian Infantry

GB

Unconventional Warfare

GRU

Unconventional Warfare

MARSOC

Naval Infantry

PDSS

Naval Infantry

RRC

Special Recon

SSO

QRF

DEVGRU

QRF

OMRP

Special Recon

Vega

Covert Operations

AFSOC

Support

• 1.2 Ranking Structures

• 1.2.1 Limiting

Ranks are the de facto indicator of progression on the server. The higher the rank you are, the further along in the server you are. Ranks are also the foundation for the chain of command, something that has been in a sort of limbo for years. The CoC is something really important for RP in a server like this, but is scarcely respected or followed. The power of the CoC has always been retained where it doesn’t belong; in SF Factions. Gone are the days of the FADM and the DGEN, where SF leaders would hold ranks to rival that of whoever was supposed to be in charge of their entire country. In reality, SF leaders should not be the decision makers in a country, but rather the base faction leadership and Generals therein. Thanks to the ever generous concessions of SF faction leaders over the years, most of the SF factions have dropped down to the rank of Colonel or some equivalent (most), but still most SF leaders refuse to give into the authority of the Generals, and as a result find themselves rarely giving into authority of anyone real. SF leaders have a hard time listening, which is kind of a bad thing that I'll address later.

The important takeaway here is that SF factions should have a universal rank cap at O-6, and operate at the discretion of their side’s respective O-11.

• 1.2.2 Standardization

With consistency issues comes again the topic of ranks. Some factions really like to change their ranking structure often, or maintain nonsensical ranking structures altogether. Here’s what they should look like.

11B GB

RRC

2GA   GRU SSO

MARSOC

DEVGRU

Vega

PDSS
OMRP

AFSOC

E-1

PV1

PVT

Pvt

SR

CDT

SR

AB

E-2

PV2

PFC

PFC

SA

OPT

SM

AM

E-3

PFC

JSG

LCpl

SN

SO

SA

A1C

E-4

CPL

SGT

Cpl

SO3

JA

SSM

SRA

E-5

SGT

SNS

Sgt

SO2

AGT

S2C

SSG

E-6

SSG

SHS

SSgt

SO1

FA

S1C

TSG

E-7

SFC

POS

GySgt

SOC

SFA

GS

MSG

E-8

MSG

PPS

MSgt

SOCS

SA

GSS

SMS

E-9A

SGM

SSP

MGySgt

SOCM

SPV

MM

CMS

E-9B

CSM

ENS

SgtMaj

MCPON

CSA

SMM

CCM

O-1

2LT

LT

2ndLt

ENS

SSV

JLT

2LT

O-2

1LT

SLT

1stLt

LTJG

CSV

LT

1LT

O-3

CPT

KPT

Capt

LT

GCL

SLT

CAPT

O-4

MAJ

MAY

Maj

LCDR

COS

KPLT

MAJ

O-5

LTC

PPKN

LtCol

CDR

DDR

KPT

LTC

O-6

COL

PKN

Col

CAPT

EXD

CADM

COL

O-7

BG

GenMay

x

x

x

x

x

O-8

MG

GenLt

x

x

x

x

x

O-9

LTG

GenPkn

x

x

x

x

x

O-10

GEN

GenArmii

x

x

x

x

x

O-11

GA

MF

x

x

x

x

x

Two things I very much agree on sort-of. I believe that the factions should have identification so people stop comparing oneself to another because they both have a sniper class or something. Especially as you said considering that a resurgence of roleplay is happening. Certain factions have certain roles, and some people may dislike that but it's important to know and have because it allows you to describe what your faction is to players and makes it useful for when an RP situation calls for a certain role to be played. Everyone plays an equal and interesting part of their own. 

When it comes to ranks, the only issue to me is when factions don't include them in their name. It's unappealing. I wouldn't wanna join a faction that does something like that. It's not elite, and it's not cool. Although it's only Rangers currently, MANY factions have taken part in this system and it always flops.

As for the structure you made, I don't think it's too much of an issue. If the ranks make more sense this way and actually provide a system that works and isn't complicated then it should be used.

• 1.2.3 Approved

Niggas will be probably be like ‘ShRImSp youC An’t JuST ChAANge OuR FAcTion, MY FACITion WhtIout Telling ME!!!111’ shut the fuck up and get that dumb idea out of your stupid heads, none of you own shit

I love ya man, but this shit isn't necessary. The community's opinion on this matters just as much as yours. Seemingly, you make it to be like it's something that is happening more than it being a suggestion. Let people voice themselves on it because other people can have good takes too. I do know what you mean though, just not something you needed to word like that.

• 1.4 Progression

• 1.4.1 Cooldowns

The value attributed to ranks by any given player is directly proportional to the amount of time and effort put in by a player to earn said rank and title. A person who earns an Officer position through a mediocre at best tryout and an overnight waiting period of minimal contribution is a lot less likely to commit themself to the position that they ‘earned’. As a result, players who earn a position quickly leave it just as fast. Setting long and concrete cooldowns per rank, given that the rank structure is standardized, can greatly prolong the amount of effort required to earn an officer position, adding value and merit to said titles. Once upon a time in MRP, such ranks were quite difficult to get, leaders swapped hands far less frequently, and being something meant something. Over time, that has become less and less of the norm. To counteract this, scaling the promotion cooldown on a broader and more fair spectrum is the single most effective way to limit the rapid promotion and poor retention rate of the server in its current state.

Promotion cooldowns would start relatively short to give new players the feeling that they are achieving something in their first few days on the server. From there, the cooldowns would rapidly scale up to slow down progression. General ranks will be done by appointment from active officers.

E-1

No Cooldown

E-2

1 Day.

E-3

2 Days.

E-4

2 Days.

E-5

5 Days.

E-6

5 Days.

E-7

1 Week.

E-8

1 Week.

E-9A

1 Week.

E-9B

Officer Discretion.

O-1

2 Weeks.

O-2

2 Weeks.

O-3

2 Weeks, 4 days.

O-4

2 Weeks, 4 days.

O-5

3 Weeks.

O-6

By Appointment.

Basically agree with all of this. Actually putting a decent cool down on the ranks would add a lot of insentive for players to stay and feel like they are working up to something. Handing out ranks is just asking for people to move on from the faction to feel like they are progessing again. I know that when I was originally in SEALs that this system worked well, for when I wasn't leading and when I was. I strived for promotions and stuck to the faction cause I wasn't the 2iC in 1 week, and when I lead my guys had to wait for those promotions and I knew that when I gave it to them they felt pretty good about it. It was actually a big deal to see people given an O-2 or O-3 rank.

I skipped out on commenting on a lot of the other points made mainly because I don't feel like going through everything, so I'll leave these points for now.

• Informative 1

Just gonna leave this link here as part of this suggestion is something that I've explored previously. I would suggest utilizing the information that I had gathered as to be both accurate and consistent (you swap between translated and transcribed ranks for Russia). I'd also like to note the big emphasis on US in some of the more major parts of your suggestion, with the obvious exception of OMRP.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lky9X0PIcVR8enYMLfec83p0FGcP_2ezGqNal6iTLMM/

Each "faction" has the same number of ranks depending on whether or not they are an entry or some sort of Special Forces. The US ranks use the proper US DoD paygrades, while the RU ranks use the proper NATO equivalents. All of the Russian ranks are abbreviated based on their English transcription (not translation).

The Russian ranks listed are under assumption as there isn't much public information about how Russian Special Forces operate (my two sources for Russian ranks being here (Wikipedia) and here (also Wikipedia).

Before somebody comments, "But Fier, why does Vega use the same ranks as SSO?" That would be because I don't believe in this flawed idea that this server should have tiered factions - only with how the server is currently operating, which means that could easily change given time. So I opted for giving military ranks rather than coming up with this "agent" bullshit.

Edited by Torch
3 hours ago, Rem_Paki said:

Not actively taking direct control of a faction

I don't think myself or shrimps said anything in relation to staff taking direct "control" over any faction.  I think that is a wild over-exaggeration for the sake of disagreeing. 

What I personally want to see is a shift in attitude/behavior that faction leaders/members have. I've seen a lot of entitlement among the ranks, especially in SOC factions. More often than not, at least when I was manager, if I made a decision on something that needed to be done, I'd get a lot of backlash from the faction I had to do it to. Not that I sought to mute criticisms people had. But at one point MARSOC was threatening mass resignation over Orange being re-perma'd, and also began threatening to get myself and Jim removed from the staff team for banning someone who broke the rules. This is the kind of entitlement that I want to see fixed. They feel that since it is their faction, they have final say or authority to make decisions over staff. 

This isn't seen with every faction, however other notable examples would be PDSS over-reaction to Viva getting warned and staff striked for being a toxic player, the faction for a couple days proceeded to be incredibly toxic during war to the point that I had to step in as staff. Not every leader is capable of policing their own faction when need be. Sometimes they need a push from staff to do so. "Hey, flame, you need to seriously have a talk with your PDSS about their behavior before staff need to intervein." after he and I had that conversation, Porche and Flame began reworking the way PDSS behaves. I haven't been on the server to see it as of late, but overall this was positive change made by staff putting the boot down and being more involved with a faction.

If the preferred way of staff dealing with any behavioral issues is just wiping immediately, then hey that's up to you. But I want staff to be more involved with factions overall to make sure that things don't NEED to get to the point where they are constantly teetering on edge of being wiped.

3 hours ago, Rem_Paki said:

you are doing this now because someone who's never been in your faction said so on fourms.

Again, a wild exaggeration for argument's sake. You do this a lot, even in TS.

Now just because shrimps has not been in every single faction on the server, does not mean he isn't knowledgeable or capable of grasping the concept of how it should run. And it's a good thing he isn't singling out any single faction here isn't it? What's been said so far, is that factions OVERALL should be under some oversight from staff. This also isn't saying everyone that leads a faction needs to be manager/SA/Head admin. It is solely expressed that Staff should be more involved.

I do remember a lot of RU really fucking pissed when shrimps came back, and wanted to spread rumors of "memeware taking over GGMRP" etc, but that's just untrue. Take a step back from the idea that shrimps is some fucking con-artist, and see this thread for what it is. It's a way to try and help the community, and give ideas that may SEEM controversial at first glance, but upon removing that anti-shrimps vitriol in your head, you might realize there is some utility to this.

• Cringe 9
  • Agree 1
10 hours ago, Kendal said:

Take a step back from the idea that shrimps is some fucking con-artist, and see this thread for what it is. It's a way to try and help the community, and give ideas that may SEEM controversial at first glance, but upon removing that anti-shrimps vitriol in your head, you might realize there is some utility to this.

Overall, the community doesn't seem to like most of what was proposed, it's not some vendetta against shrimps that you're making it out to be. The disagreement is coming from each country, not just RU. 

Here's a short list of what I would propose based on community feedback, and talks I've had with shrimps.

• VIP/Subscription ranks and perks added
  • RP events and faction specialization Added
  • War system overhaul/skill tree, both in code and from an RP based perspective
  • Meetings between faction leaders and staff.

VIP/Subscription Ranks/Perks is fairly self explanatory, and I believe would genuinely bring in income for the server.

RP Events, from what I've seen lately, have been immensely popular. I encourage those doing these events to keep up the good work.

A revitalized war system that can give XP for more than just kills, allows for more interaction and tools for RP events and RP wars, making wars actually matter for an overarching story line. The revamped donor method would have to come before this for purposes of funding however.

For the skill tree, allowing leveling up to actually matter with the end result being to build a customized character so to speak.

Meetings between faction leaders and staff should happen on a biweekly basis, to make sure everything is running smoothly in the faction and to address any complaints that may have arisen.

Edited by Praetor_Don
  • Agree 2

I think this idea is excellent. But I believe what most people are failing to realize is that to have a successful rp experience you need some type of structure with appropriate staff intervention to make sure that everything is running smoothly and that’s what this suggestion is all about. Implementing new ideas while also giving details of controversial changes of things that have been debated on forever now (I.e reserves, faction leadership, staff intervention with factions, etc.). Now obviously just by looking at the thread most of the points @shrimp is making are disagreed upon so this suggestion can be tweaked so that it can benefit both the players and the staff team while also satisfying their wants and needs. Overall this suggestion gets a +1 from me. But hey what do I know I just came back to the community a couple days ago.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

An overhaul like this would definitely get me to play for a good while. People dislike what you've put on the table because a good amount of MRP players believe that this change isn't necessary and that the current state of MRP is already fine. I however see this as a positive direction into the roleplay aspect of the server, which is mostly why I joined this community in the first place. I trust that the staff team, as Naitsir said, will appropriately intervene to make this experience smooth, and I know you, shrimp, will do a great job at slowly implementing this change. I'm also kinda conflicted as well because I'm also on the side of the majority that believes that this change isn't needed and I think the server is just fine how it is right now, but I've always liked your suggestions and I appreciate you trying to think of ways to make the server better. I think if you tweak what you've suggested to appease to the people who disagree with you, I think this overhaul would be awesome to the MRP server, but I don't think you'll ever find the good medium you want because people don't want to see a huge change to the function of the server. 

• Agree 2
On 4/18/2020 at 6:06 PM, shrimp said:

3.1.3 Quality Assurance

With this new way of overseeing tryouts, staff will need to keep a tight leash on the amount and circumstances of handpicks, or modifying a tryout in order to allow certain people an easier time.

Faction leaders, like staff members, should have the capability to record their in-game footage. From now on, faction leaders (or officers) should record and be able to present footage of all their faction members passing a legitimate version of their tryout in the event that questions arise surrounding the inclusion of a player in a faction where they might not belong.

This has been needed for a long time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Guidelines