allow people to become officer's without ts aswell as allow discords without such heavy managment

bosi

dear ownner i found out that in order to become a officer i need team speak and that if a discord is made you have to be in it and it can not have voice chat well i would like to point out that that is absolute bullshit and i have seen the fall of many servers that do this as forcing people to get team speak to become a officer  will deter alot of players as image for a moment your a player who worked hard for months to work your way up and thenyour told unless you get this voice chat service you know nothing about you wont be able to be an officer even tho you have proven yourself and deserve it you would probably leave the server im not saying stop using teaspeak but give people more freedom as this will be your downfall its not a if but a when so my suggestion is to allow people to become officer's without teamspeak just dont let them be commanders without teamspeak and also let people use voice chat in discord and your probably gonna use the exscuse "no as you want people to use teamspeak" as well if that was the case then why allow text channels? also you may say "people dont mind getting teamspeak" or "teamspeak is easy to use" well my retort is if that were the case why would people use discord in secret? simple! its because teamspeak is a dying service that doesnt even run on alot of newer pc's anymore as it has not been updated in a long time and people are switching to dicord and getting rid of the obsolite teamspeak discord is easier to use it is must cleaner looking than teamspeak it allows for more customizability it will atract more players since most dont even know what teamspeak is or dont want to go through the trouble of trying to navagate its complicated menu but most importantly discord is FREE thats right its a free service that is more well known easier to use and better overall to teamspeak and since i heard you were paying for teamspeak the fact that discord is free should be good since you dont have to shell out money just to keep it with discord you just get it make a server and customize it also regarding the forcing the use of teamspeak to become a officer being your servers demise again not a if but a when its not the teamspeak aspect that will be your downfall but the forcing it part as noone WANTS to be forced to use a program that they have never used before when they probably use discord already so in conclusion im not saying get rid of teamspeak im just saying stop FORCING players to use it to become officers or at least make it to become commander instead of officer and to be more leniant with discord as it will also make more people like the server and not feel like they have no choice

• Cringe 10
  • Disagree 3

Teamspeak still gets updates..? Also, we have survived being a server that enforces teamspeak for a VERY long time. We still reach 80+ players on SWRP, Darkrp, and MRP. This post is in my opinion, useless because you show no real argument to why to not use teamspeak besides "I-i-its free!!!"

You also have a sans profile pictures so..

• 300 IQ 2

Teamspeak is free for the player to use, while being under direct control of Garnet (he hosts the ts3 server). Teamspeak also has better audio quality for calls with more than six people in them, as well as better audio quality all together.

As for Teamspeak not working on "newer computers", I'm using the Windows Insider build of Windows, which is basically a beta-version of Windows, and TS works fine for me.

Personally, I think discord is better for organizing things via text than ts, but that's what we have the forums for. In the use case for SWRP however, ts is the way to go.

Overall, this suggestion was poorly thought out and formatted.  Try to add some spacing/paragraphs to at least make it readable.

• Agree 1

While Discord does offer a much nicer and user-friendly UI/UX than TeamSpeak 3, TS3 is much more versatile. The range of roles, usergroups, and channels is far extended in TeamSpeak and much more manageable than Discord. The only thing Discord has going for it is roles and channels (with permissions) that are tedious to set-up well and working.

TeamSpeak 3 (and myTeamSpeak) are free services to use, while hosting them is not. It offers many more features (like tons of customization and plugins - can tell you don't use TS3 because you said Discord is more customizable, which is laughable) for both users and staff in comparison to Discord. And best fits what this community uses it for. I actually personally prefer TS3 to Discord in audio quality; might be placebo but ohwell.

• Agree 1
11 minutes ago, PraetorDon said:

Teamspeak is free for the player to use, while being under direct control of Garnet (he hosts the ts3 server). Teamspeak also has better audio quality for calls with more than six people in them, as well as better audio quality all together.

As for Teamspeak not working on "newer computers", I'm using the Windows Insider build of Windows, which is basically a beta-version of Windows, and TS works fine for me.

Personally, I think discord is better for organizing things via text than ts, but that's what we have the forums for. In the use case for SWRP however, ts is the way to go.

Overall, this suggestion was poorly thought out and formatted.  Try to add some spacing/paragraphs to at least make it readable.

While discords for battalions/factions are not allowed by Garnet, we have compromised with players to allow battalion discords (under supervision of me or Garnet) with text channels, but no voice channels (they should use TS for that). I think it is a very fair compromise, but some players just refuse to see reason and decide to call it "tyranny." 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I can tell you right now TS3 is not a dying service whatsoever. Yes, Discord is better for community groups/gatherings which is what I find discord useful for. However, a lot of servers still use TS3. This not only includes Gmod, but things like FiveM (GTA V RP) for better plugins that allow for things like only being able to talk people within' a certain range, while keeping everyone else muted until you're in their talk range. Arma 3 communities use it for a more 'realistic' radio type of chat where they use a plugin to do so. TS3 is definitely not a dying service, nor is it a non-versatile service. TS3 offers better communication through voice and much more plugins that fit with servers and communities, while Discord offers a more better service for community gatherings outside of the serverfor people to just chat in/share memes/videos, etc.

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

While discords for battalions/factions are not allowed by Garnet, we have compromised with players to allow battalion discords (under supervision of me or Garnet) with text channels, but no voice channels (they should use TS for that). I think it is a very fair compromise, but some players just refuse to see reason and decide to call it "tyranny." 

Not sure if this has been thought of, but why not create the channels in the GG discord?

For specific battalion discords, a role could be created for each, that only those with the role could view the channels. For viewing the overall SWRP channel, a bot given role (similar to the rust+gmod roles) could be made. Granted, it might be easier to make a separate discord for just SWRP, as from the way the GG discord looks set up right now, it would be a pain giving out those roles.

At the end of the day though, there's better uses of SA+Garnet time.

5 minutes ago, PraetorDon said:

as from the way the GG discord looks set up right now, it would be a pain giving out those roles.

We've talked about doing this, but haven't due to this reason. Compared to other tasks Garnet has, like updating SWRP/MRP/TTT/DarkRP/Rust, it's very low priority right now.

• Agree 1

i got an anurism reading this lmao

In all seriousness, there's no practical reason as to why Discord is superior to Teamspeak, especially for large communities. The TS server works fine. If it won't work for you or you need help setting something up, I'd be glad to help to the best of my ability. Just shoot me a message on forums/steam/discord. 

Ok first of all, you didn't even put periods in this post, making the whole thing a run on sentence. Second, I have a Ryzen 3700X build with Windows 10 pro and TS3 works fine on my PC. Third, TS3 is still regularly updated, idk where you got the no updates idea from. Other than that not much to say besides what others have already said.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bosi said:

not a if but a when its not

what is this grammar....

also TS3 is and has always been a reliable service for us. the only reason we have the little discords is for announcements and such.

Edited by BatHulkSmash
  • Like 2

If you’re not in teamspeak you miss 99% of what’s going on. The possibility of making it to officer without it is none. Each battalion has its own channel including a separate channel for their elite sub faction. Teamspeak allows you to coordinate with your unit so that comms aren’t missed, orders can be relayed and you can have a relationship with your unit in OOC. Also, don’t assume you’re going to make officer automatically especially when you’ve only been on the server a few days

• Forums Moderator

I don't understand why people hate on TS. I've realized it's voice quality compared to discord is so much better. Also TS picks up like barely any of my background noise so that's nice. TS is free just like discord, it's a bit harder to navigate but legit sit down for 5-10 minutes and you'll figure it out, and the voice quality is far superior to Discord. Honestly no Commanders are ever gonna give you Officer if they haven't had interactions with you. And that's why we use Teamspeak. 

Lastly, it would just be a pain in the ass if we were to have voice channels in the Garnet discord that you have to assign roes to people. Unless you had a whole damn team to do it day in day out which is very far fetched.

I'm going to deny/lock this thread. I already know Garnet's opinion on this, and it was good to see many community members step in and help clarify why we use TS over discord. We won't be switching over any time soon.

• Agree 2