Advertising ban

ToxinsLivid

• MilitaryRP Super-Admin

There’s a spectrum of advertising and on the forums, people have hours to make a decision on the suitable punishment.

“Go join InsertNameHere Gaming MRP!” ≠ “Oh I saw this addon on XYZ Network!”

Having the Advertisement punishment be a perma ban is (if I am not mistaken) and almost universal punishment on many other games not restricted to Gmod servers, garnet gaming is no exception.  with that being said, their is a sort of gray area when it comes to what can be defined as Advertisement. For example, if I came onto DRP and started saying in OOC or Advert "Come join (REDACTED)'s Dark RP server!" That is blatant advertisement. On the other hand saying that you say the add-ons on this a Garnet Gaming server is the same as on another server in chat MIGHT get you banned; The decision however may be looked down upon by those who are on because mentioning another server in, lets say an ongoing conversation in OOC is not generally considered Advertisement; And In the aforementioned example, It may sound innocent enough that it can be viewed as just someone bringing it up in chat, though the act can be questionable.

With that being said, Sometimes, someone may say another servers or community's name in chat, whether with intent to advertise or just in a conversation, and sometimes staff members may view it as advertisement if the other staff think so too. Those who get unbanned for maybe Accidental advertisement (Saying another servers name , etc) is really up to the decision of those in charge of unbanning people. I will not disagree with the fact that a perma ban may be a bit excessive, but in some cases players may just join a server just to shout their own, and i do believe that while excessive, a perma ban is justified.

Advertising other servers and even games have usually had similar punishments across other games and servers and I don't think Garnet should be the odd one out. Having a punishment for things like Advertisement shows not only the advertiser, but  others that their is a cost to such a action. As for those who get unbanned for advertisement as they go though the ban appeal, it's really up to the person in charge of handling ban appeals and if they feel the ban was justified or not.

I hope this answers some questions.

Archived