MilitaryRP Update [08/12/2020]

• The Garnut
1 minute ago, Zachman said:

I have a question though, if you hold tab you can see the kills and drsths but as of now nothing happens if you die or get a kill, are you going to be adding that into the game so it works?

Otherwise this update is great and glad to see you're back at it

Correct, it's going to take another day or two to implement it into the war system, because I do not want it working during peacetime.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
30 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Damage boost (up to 10%)

Fire rate increase (up to 25%)

Magazine size (up to 10 extra bullets)

Pyroshot (5% chance for bullet to light victim on fire for 5 seconds)

Necromancer (player explodes on death for up to 150 splash damage) - 25 damage per prestige

Things like this that count as just a straight buff for grinding imo will only give an unrealistic advantage and un-intended consequences balance wise for over-looked weapons, etc.

Something I would think would be really unique though would be the possibility of unlocking custom attachements through the skill tree. Something like, a new receiver? That increases firerate slightly but reduces damage due to less force in the bullet being exerted. Something along those lines I think could fit perfectly if we're looking for grindy stat boost type things.

When it comes to the proposed things like Pyroshot and Necromancer, I think shit like that is just really far-fetched and straying far from what we should realistically be looking for. Something like Dragon's Breath rounds would be a neat addition to grind for, though they should for obvious reasons provide a huge spread increase and damage reduction seeing as fire damage has no drop-off. Could be a joke but all things in an update should be taken seriously.

• Creative 1
3 minutes ago, 0zzy said:

@Pencil I think the typical FPS mechanic of earning attachments through use of the gun would be a MASSIVE competitive advantage. I’d love to chat about some nuances and a plan of attack.

Using attachments rather than a standard buff through the skill tree will allow you to provide negative effects to the weapon, providing balance even if it creates competitive advantage.

I'd argue that giving players the ability to increase their firerate, damage, and their magazine size using the skill tree creates an even more unbalanced competitive advantage over the unlocking of attachments. The same goes for movement speed and armor, and even further for things like Elite classes. Would the skill tree affect things on something like RPG or Juggernaut?

• Like 1
  • The Garnut
27 minutes ago, Pencil said:

Things like this that count as just a straight buff for grinding imo will only give an unrealistic advantage and un-intended consequences balance wise for over-looked weapons, etc.

Something I would think would be really unique though would be the possibility of unlocking custom attachements through the skill tree. Something like, a new receiver? That increases firerate slightly but reduces damage due to less force in the bullet being exerted. Something along those lines I think could fit perfectly if we're looking for grindy stat boost type things.

When it comes to the proposed things like Pyroshot and Necromancer, I think shit like that is just really far-fetched and straying far from what we should realistically be looking for. Something like Dragon's Breath rounds would be a neat addition to grind for, though they should for obvious reasons provide a huge spread increase and damage reduction seeing as fire damage has no drop-off. Could be a joke but all things in an update should be taken seriously.

Man this is a prime example of why I want to shut down MRP and not look back. This is an update I’ve been pestered about for months, and I agree with almost every single point you brought up in this post, but when it comes to player retention, this is the best the player base came up with, and god knows we’re just going to lose players and have incompetent newcomers who blame me on their boredom If I don’t at least add this in

• Cringe 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • The Garnut
1 minute ago, Tayler said:

Was there some sort of post regarding the skill tree system that you made where players came up with these ideas?

Multiple threads, community meetings, and discord groups. This idea dates back to shrimp being staff.

ALWAYS and frequently requested

1 minute ago, Garnet said:

Multiple threads, community meetings, and discord groups. This idea dates back to shrimp being staff.

ALWAYS and frequently requested

Okay, wasn't asking it like a dick either if it came off as such.

But another question would be what does this mean for those that prestiged? Understandable if that's a later problem but it seems like the buffs from prestiging are somewhat obsolete considering the damage buff and nerf (armor). Would the benefits be swapped for prestiging or would the values be highered?

• The Garnut

In any case, I’m not sweating it. This is the one server that’s always being problematic, where’re players don’t ever know what they want and constantly resort to being toxic on the forums/blaming their issues on me and make up stories about me “refusing help”.

Going to not let this get to me a whole lot more and simply focus on our other servers until I’m ready to even get near MRP again

2 minutes ago, Tayler said:

Okay, wasn't asking it like a dick either if it came off as such.

But another question would be what does this mean for those that prestiged? Understandable if that's a later problem but it seems like the buffs from prestiging are somewhat obsolete considering the damage buff and nerf (armor). Would the benefits be swapped for prestiging or would the values be highered?

I didn’t think you came off as a dick at all. Prestige’s would give you entirely separate points for a different tree. Skill tree vs abilities 

This no longer matters because I pulled this off the update

• Informative 1
1 hour ago, Garnet said:

Walking speeds reduced by 20%

Running speeds reduced by 6%

new values: 100-250

Previously: 120-265

If I may ask what is the reasoning behind decreasing movements speeds if MRP is mainly PVP based, I hope it hasn't been said yet but why is that. Other than that the update looks nice, good job Garnet. 

• Friendly 1
  • Agree 1

I like that you're trying something different, even tho this is the beginning and alot of people don't like it, I think of it as a more fleshed out prestige system, and at the same time everyone will be avaliable to take advantage of the system. anyways whatever you decide to do i think that you're in the step of a better direction , I think that since not one person and everyone will have this avaliable to them, it should be looked at more as a reason to grind... 

Edited by cbozee
7 minutes ago, Garnet said:

In any case, I’m not sweating it. This is the one server that’s always being problematic, where’re players don’t ever know what they want and constantly resort to being toxic on the forums/blaming their issues on me and make up stories about me “refusing help”.

The blame legitimately lies on you in the end. While I agree that the MRP community that we have is super entitled for no reason, you have made questionable decisions on the basis of "keeping the average pop count up" - resorting to using bots, swapping maps for zero reason, the people you continue to put in charge (D Rose, Jim, and Aidan are excluded from this, Kendal as well).

(The first two sentences above can be seen as hostile, so after writing everything else I decided to remove them but instead think it's important to keep it readable for fluidity)

And the "refusing help" portion isn't made-up. Yes, people have reached out. And yes, you've utilized some of what they've given you, and you've had conversations with them on rare occassions for help tackling a problem. But a good portion of what people (at least those I've spoken too, and my own experience) provide to you is just thrown off like trash. When we initially spoke you talked down on me like I didn't know what I was doing; granted, I didn't have previous work to show you to verify and you had also been up that entire night working on MRP and DRP updates. I took the blame for my edits not working because it was easier than creating an argument (and I actually thought I fucked up), but after testing it further it had nothing to do with me and was something that I couldn't have predicted regarding the server and other addons.

I don't think anybody is holding a grudge against you or has a vendetta, and I commend you for the amount of effort and time that you sink into all of this community. I don't blame you for the mistakes or choices you've made, especially when some were done under stress from your personal life and managing the community. What I, myself, blame you for is not taking credit in some of those mistakes, and your slight unwillingness to move forward with a new mindset regarding server development and management, for yourself and the people you leave in charge. It's all about peak playercount versus player retention and enjoyability of said servers. Your average playercount doesn't even matter either because people (and bots) just AFK the entire time, take slots and trap new players into thinking we're an active community when in reality we really aren't; and to clarify, I can only speak about MRP and not the other servers we have hosted.

--

Here's an idea:

Make a Deathmatch gamemode. Drop DarkRP as a base, it fucking sucks. It will be well worth the time, and potential money spent, on making something like that. It could be better monetized and more casual than what we currently have. The ideas for progression are nearly endless. Have a leveling system with balance-able perks for players who prestige it, subscription based VIP-tiers that provide additional things while not providing them with an advantage (and that work, sorry not sorry). Unlockable attachments (with ingame cash) and weapons (with levels), cosmetics like weapon skins and models that could be provided with ingame currency OR as a store item. Class-based system to limit this "one-man army" bullshit. Literally Gmod Battlefield, basically. It would be much easier to maintain in the end.

The community wants combat over roleplay, and while roleplay is a good introduction for new players, it doesn't help when the rest of the server who is experienced doesn't want it. All of the changes you've introduced in this update, aside from the Gamemaster and staff changes, are specifically for combat - keep all of that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Spicy 1
  • Informative 1
  • Agree 3