DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Combat or Roleplay

Combat or Roleplay  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer the server focus on, Combat or Roleplay?

• Combat (War, FFA etc.)
    • Roleplay (Events, Operations etc.)

• StarWarsRP Management Team

Greetings MRP,

There's a debate among the playerbase, at times, for more RP or more combat. Essentially this depends on what players want from the server, and whilst small groups of players may push for one aspect of the server at one time, it's never looked at as the MRP community as a whole.

The purpose of this poll is to see where the current playerbase of MRP stand on RP vs. Combat. For those of you who want both, pick whichever option you prefer. There is intentionally no 'Both' option as the proportions of RP vs. Combat is also a good indicator as to the community's stance on MRP.

Also please note that the result of the poll won't prevent changes to the server that fall in the other category, and RP does, obviously, still contain combat but it is of a different kind.

Feel free to comment your opinions below.

So, we had a US Meeting yesterday and got all the preventatives of SOC together and I think @Sueshworded it perfectly. Honestly, the way garnet MRP is made out to be is PVP but at the same time you need to balance the RP out to give it a sense of realism and keep things fresh. Events in general are a great way of keeping RP fresh which is why I feel like those events should be more RP Focused than it kinda was/is. Now, this isn’t to say officers can’t take up the mantle and start getting shit done for themselves. I feel like we should start incorporating more aspects into events such as more taliban players fighting against US in an RP scenario type of events (with the slight lack of afg players specifically taliban this would get more people to stay on for longer periods of time thus possibly increasing their population a lot more). And/or more RP into events in general Peacetime & War are practically centered around PVP with tryouts (involving combat knowledge and skill half the time), Sims, and the Soon to come missions, and Raids. Events should be considered a fresh break from PVP for those who want it and are capable of being mature enough to participate. if the right GM is doing the RP event I’ve seen it turn out really well for large groups of people (Take our old Starwars RP for example and a couple from our old event server and even recently.) but yeah that’s just how I think we could balance it out I really don’t believe it has to be one sided 24/7 it just takes some time and knowledge to take the balance.

TL:DR - Focus Events more on RP and let war and most of the other time in Peacetime to focus on Officer led operations and other aspects of PVP.

Edited by Horseyyy
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve always been of the personal opinion that RP is almost never done correctly on a widespread scale and it was a mistake to ever go in the RP direction rather than focus on combat & create a less “strict” Rp sense on the server.

The people that have pushed/currently push for the server to become more RP oriented have always failed to make it enjoyable for everyone, I honestly cannot think of a single time where RP/RP events has worked on the server in a wide scale fashion.

The reality of the situation most people don’t give a damn about doing role play  events as an actual military force, people just want to fuck around on a gmod server and shoot things. Personally, I can only remember one specific event that was held where it was actually enjoyable and not just the same shitty RP event most GMs put on.

Consistent RP will almost never work on a gmod server, there is usually too many incompetent people to make it happen as well as the general player base just usually isn’t into it. I know the game has “RP” in the title, but we shouldn’t take that aspect of it so seriously and instead focus on the aspects that will get new players in and having fun.

sorry if this is written poorly, on mobile rn and just wanted to give my thoughts on this lol.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

I believe personally that a majority of the player-base consist of people like me, who joined the server looking to play Call of Duty campaigns in GMod. This might sound dumb, but I believe that people want to have wars and events with genuine RP involved that is enjoyable for each private. I believe that RP events can be massive successes for GM's who are smart and with the correct players leading the event. Most of the time, people don't RP because they don't know how. 

To me, Military RP captures that thing that no other game really can. You have the aspect of shooting which many other games have, but then you have the community and the feeling of doing real military drills, operations, promotions, politics, and most of all, minging. As we all know, combat is NOT the best part of GMOD, as the game is quite old. I think it's worth trying to train people in the ways of RP to capture the magic that is very possible with some effort.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

> Be GM

> People want RP events

> Try to do RP events

> People get mad cause no way to keep a large group involved in RP events without mindlessly spawning NPCs or super basic PVP events

> Can only do DarkRP style builds for events cause no perms, can only communicate through chat or teamspeak as there is no quick way to get everyone on the same page (HINT: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732867617)

> Events destined to fail

> Switch to PVP style events (FFA ect.)

> Doommusic.mp3

> People like them cause they feel involved, mindless killing sure but fun time

> Just make build and get people to murder each other, ez tendies

> RPnerds get mad cause no RP events even though they suck due to lack of tools needed to make them more fun (giveweapon, effects toolguns, ect.)

> Get told to do more RP events cause "RP will save the server 4head" 

> Yeah we all know where this goes

> Everyone unanimously likes the combat more than the events cause events suck. GMs are blamed when they have almost nothing to work with nowadays. Rinse Repeat Victory. 

Lets be realistic here, with the current state of the server there is no possible way to get RP events to be engaging for newer players. None. There is barely enough organization on GM as is, and without the proper perms or any kind of RP training anything that they try to do in the Future will be destined to fail.

Here is an old view only link to a set of Eventplanner (same as GM) documents from when I did a bunch of Star Wars RP stuff a few years back: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Jqk8nOLYCAU0ZfDzMgIHywdZkpI-UUrpjT1HsKlPEI/edit?usp=sharing

Yes i know MRP and Star Wars RP are different animals, but the premises behind GMing both are relatively the same. I am a lot more used to what GMing was like on this server, as we had WAAAAAAY more perms there than on Garnet, and we didnt even do forum applications for it. We just did in game tryouts and trained whoever passed them (to be fair most upper staff could set ranks as opposed to just SAs here so that style probably wont work.)

I wont ramble too much about specifics unless asked, but long story short GMs need more perms. Straight and simple. We vet people through an application process on the forums and if that doesnt make us trust people more than I dont know what will. However Garnet isnt going to just take my word for it and while I dont agree with how little you trust people on the server Garnet I cant say you don`t have your reasons for it. Maybe if the GM team gets a bit more organized fundamentally then you might be able to trust them a little more.

These are just my thoughts on the matter, you can take them or leave them as you will but I dont think any kind of RP elements on the server will improve without taking a look at the foundations and fundamentals of GMing as a whole. If you want me to dig up more addons and stuff from my old days let me know. Ill see what i can find. Voice amplifier SWEP though is an absolute must at minimum, as it will greatly improve communication between GMs and players. Link for that addon is above. 

Edited by SadKnickHours
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, SadKnickHours said:
2 hours ago, SadKnickHours said:

> Be GM

> People want RP events

> Try to do RP events

> People get mad cause no way to keep a large group involved in RP events without mindlessly spawning NPCs or super basic PVP events

> Can only do DarkRP style builds for events cause no perms, can only communicate through chat or teamspeak as there is no quick way to get everyone on the same page (HINT: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732867617)

> Doommusic.mp3

> RPnerds get mad cause no RP events even though they suck due to lack of tools needed to make them more fun (giveweapon, effects toolguns, ect.)

> Everyone unanimously likes the combat more than the events cause events suck. GMs are blamed when they have almost nothing to work with nowadays. Rinse Repeat Victory. 

Lets be realistic here, with the current state of the server there is no possible way to get RP events to be engaging for newer players. None. There is barely enough organization on GM as is, and without the proper perms or any kind of RP training anything that they try to do in the Future will be destined to fail.

Here is an old view only link to a set of Eventplanner (same as GM) documents from when I did a bunch of Star Wars RP stuff a few years back: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Jqk8nOLYCAU0ZfDzMgIHywdZkpI-UUrpjT1HsKlPEI/edit?usp=sharing

Yes i know MRP and Star Wars RP are different animals, but the premises behind GMing both are relatively the same. I am a lot more used to what GMing was like on this server, as we had WAAAAAAY more perms there than on Garnet, and we didnt even do forum applications for it. We just did in game tryouts and trained whoever passed them (to be fair most upper staff could set ranks as opposed to just SAs here so that style probably wont work.)

I wont ramble too much about specifics unless asked, but long story short GMs need more perms. Straight and simple. We vet people through an application process on the forums and if that doesnt make us trust people more than I dont know what will. However Garnet isnt going to just take my word for it and while I dont agree with how little you trust people on the server Garnet I cant say you don`t have your reasons for it. Maybe if the GM team gets a bit more organized fundamentally then you might be able to trust them a little more.

These are just my thoughts on the matter, you can take them or leave them as you will but I dont think any kind of RP elements on the server will improve without taking a look at the foundations and fundamentals of GMing as a whole. If you want me to dig up more addons and stuff from my old days let me know. Ill see what i can find. Voice amplifier SWEP though is an absolute must at minimum, as it will greatly improve communication between GMs and players. Link for that addon is above. 

I've chosen to stay silent on this post but ultimately I agree with Knick. GMs are basically being told "you are the back bone of the server now do rp events cause that will fix server!" but in reality it just won't. Combat events are more welcome then rp events by the population.

Now with the people voting for RP tell me where are all of you when an RP event is hosted? I genuinely only see 3-6 people who enjoy RP and will do it when told to and actually know how to do it properly. I believe that people voting RP are just bull shitting in my opinion since barely anyone has given any good suggestions or comments on what to improve on through out rp events. When it was me, kurtle, and aparh only as the three GMs we got less complaints is this because we had less numbers than we do now? What is the current basis of what people want if it truly is RP events and there are people actually attempting to do RP more than there will be more RP events done. If it is complete bullshit and people just want to complain that RP events are bad then they are apart of the problem and ultimately degrading a team of individuals trying their best. 

Edited by Fetn
  • Disagree 1
11 hours ago, SadKnickHours said:

> Be GM

> People want RP events

> Try to do RP events

> Doommusic.mp3

While I semi agree with what you're saying here, I want to know exactly what perms you would give GM's to improve their events/jobs.

A lot of people that agree with RP being the main focus on the server will not actually put in the effort to RP on the server. It is easy to point a finger at the GM team and say that they are not willing to make good RP events but there needs to be good RP actually happening on the server which starts with a player base that actually wants to RP. There can be RP without GMs being present so making the excuse of the GM team being bad causes there to be no RP is just stupid. RP is bad on the server because people don't actually wanna RP and that is kind of weird considering people join the server because it is called Garnet Gaming Military RP it's almost like the join with the intent to RP and get better at RP. 

• Agree 1
28 minutes ago, Kurtle said:

While I semi agree with what you're saying here, I want to know exactly what perms you would give GM's to improve their events/jobs.

Well for starters, the ability to give weapons again, the ability to spawn weapons/ ammo with your toolgun as opposed to having to type out full commands each time, the addition of other toolguns that can be used to add touches creatively to events (i.e. fire and sparks toolguns, i can see if i can find those addons but itll take me some time), The NPC spawn toolgun which will also allow you to set NPC HP as well as Proficiency, and will model override ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2425310927&searchtext=NPC+spawn+ ), The voice amplifier swep that will allow you to brodcast your voice to large areas/ whole server as opposed to having to either use chat or chain messages through teamspeak or something, Allowing GMs to spawn entities (I know that some trust will be needed before that can be enabled), Just a bunch of small QOL shit that would make everything much more efficient. We dont have to get crazy with new stuff all the time. Large scale addons that are used poorly will never outperform small scale stuff like this used creatively. Its like building a house. Doesnt matter what fancy stuff you put on top of it if the foundation is fucked to begin with.

• Agree 2