DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

AOE Team Damage

Sythireau

Description:
Make it so that any form of AOE weapon can damage teammates as well with full or lowered damage.

Reasoning:
War has become pretty unfun to play with the abundance of explosive use especially from US since our explosive class has higher HP 
and can shrug off a mag like it's nothing. I feel like any form of AOE weapon should be capable of doing team damage during war,
this means anything like nerve gas, grenades, rocket launchers, etc. This damage could be lowered for enemy side but should 
still do enough for people to care. This would make people more careful about what they do with the use of explosives.
Explosive classes are abundant and make war a bit unfun to play with. These classes are also used with very little care and 
tend to just toss explosives and AOE wherever they think it will kill people. I want to be able to enter an OBJ and kill the first
2 people shooting at me without an RPG hitting their feet and only killing me.

Additional Information:
Something like this clip shouldn't be possible where a suicide bomber uses nerve gas to peak and insta kill someone. 
I just feel like the uncaring use of AOE has caused a decline in enjoyment during war.
https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/5va5VjPgH4Pg9/kKUfF6s6vdQP?invite=cr-MSxydFgsMzUxODQ5NjQs
Edited by CanadianTyrant
For some reason the suggestion reason and desc broke so I fixed it
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
4 minutes ago, SirSmity said:

Neutral, This would kill everyone which would affect the server negatively.  

Just like what Salmon said, I understand this would do damage to teamates and kill them that's why I suggested lowered damage as well but it would make war more enjoyable because they

can't just fire a rocket at their teamates feet to kill the people their fighting. Right now explosive classes just dick around and shoot explosives wherever with 0 care causing chaos and it's

just unfun.

2 hours ago, CanadianTyrant said:

AOE weapon can damage teammates as well with full or lowered damage

AFAIK, Garnet would not be able to do this. You cannot discern between a "damage type" or "weapon type". Damage is damage.

The only reason he was able to fix self damage is because you are damaging yourself, which he can exclude from the no-friendly fire system.
The self damage thing was not fixed by looking at "damage types" or "weapon type". It just makes sure if the same person taking the damage also inflicted the damage, that the damage bypasses the no-friendly fire system.

-1, we have had team damage in the past, though it has been a long time. Back then most people were afraid to shoot a rocket or throw a nade cause they may hit a friendly and be reported and warned. On the end it was removed for reasons such as that.

• Agree 2
3 minutes ago, Remake said:

-1, we have had team damage in the past, though it has been a long time. Back then most people were afraid to shoot a rocket or throw a nade cause they may hit a friendly and be reported and warned. On the end it was removed for reasons such as that.

Team damage wouldn't be warnable or punishable unless the explosive damage was proven to be intentional

• StarWarsRP Management Team

With proggy's response regarding self-damage adjustment in mind, there's a few things I would like to note:

• Running through/Standing in your own team's nerve gas is FailRP. You can see Nerve Gas, you would not realistically run through the Gas. You can report if people do this, if you feel they knowingly abuse it
  • RPG base damage is 150, a RPG's health is 150, because of splash a single RPG shot cannot do 150 damage to their-self, so any issues regarding RPG self-damage should be about lowering the RPG class health

Any other issues regarding damage teammates does have to be an overall question of friendly fire.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:29 PM, Remake said:

imo, you should be terrified of killing teammates when using RPG's and Grenades, it would add a lot of skill and depth to the classes so you don't have RPG andies running around blowing the OBJ up with no regard for their teammates or anything else.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:18 PM, Proggy said:

AFAIK, Garnet would not be able to do this. You cannot discern between a "damage type" or "weapon type". Damage is damage.

-- Obviously, this requires removing the old "no friendly-fire" hook and replacing it with this instead.
-- Logically, this should run AFTER the ScalePlayerDamage hook, so there should be no conflicts.

hook.Add("EntityTakeDamage", "PlayerFriendlyFire", function(victim, dmginfo)
	local attacker = dmginfo:GetAttacker()

-- This hook runs for all entities when they take damage. In this case, we only care about players so both parties should be players.
	if (victim:IsPlayer() and attacker:IsPlayer()) then
		-- if war is active
			-- if victimNation is the same as attackerNation (victimNation == attackerNation)

-- check if the victim is the same person as the attacker; we want them to be different to keep the current self-damage scale
				if (victim != attacker) then
					if (dmginfo:IsExplosionDamage()) then
						dmginfo:ScaleDamage(0.15) -- scale the damage down to 15% - with the rest of this script, this will only apply to friendlies
					end

-- don't have access to m9k to see how the nerve gas applies damage, but if it properly sets the damage type
					-- this next statement should work.
					if (dmginfo:IsDamageType(DMG_NERVEGAS)) then
						dmginfo:ScaleDamage(0.15) -- scale the damage down to 15% - with the rest of this script, this will only apply to friendlies
					end

-- with the CTakeDamageInfo type, you can get the weapon classname and scale/negate on a per-weapon basis
					-- usage: dmginfo:GetAttacker():GetActiveWeapon():GetClass() and compare to a string, ie. "m9k_nerve_gas"

if (dmginfo:IsBulletDamage()) then
						return true -- Return true to negate the damage. In this case, friendlies don't take bullet damage.
					end
				end
			-- End: victimNation is the same as attackerNation check
		-- End: War is active check
	end
end)

https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/GM:EntityTakeDamage

https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/CTakeDamageInfo

Edited by Lex_
Update code comments to hopefully better explain the script.
  • Informative 1
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Bman said:

so this would make it were you can hurt your own team with explosives' but not guns or am I really confused

Yes, the suggestion is for enabling team damage but only for explosives and nerve gas and scaling it to be less lethal but still require caution (or in the extreme scenario, full unscaled damage).