Solution for in-game racism/homophobia

4 minutes ago, OpTic Gunner said:

How will something like this Impact the rust side of things? Or will this be sololy for gmod. I think it would be great for gmod,  I'm Not Sure How i feel about it on rust yet as i would have to think more into it.

I'm not the official word here so don't take my word as what's to come but in my DMs with Garnet leading up to this post, he said this is only for gmod.

• Informative 1
15 hours ago, Nutter said:

Hello Garnet peeps, i'm making this thread to reach out and hopefully get your input on this new thingy I coderino'd last month, but entirely forgot about.

So, with the way things currently are, we can go ahead and warn a player for being racist and move on with our days, then ban them if repeated - still allowing them to come back until a threshold is reached in which they are permanently banned;  Welp, here's my new solution:

Allow for 1 single warning as courtesy that applies to new players who may be coming from a more toxic community that allowed for this (unfortunately, most Gmod servers are still ran by children who call it "fReE sPeEcH") - however, once that first warning is given out, if a player violates the racism/homophobia rule, a high ranking staff member (Admin+) can utilize the command /voiceban, thus, taking a player's voice(mic) privileges and forcing them to type, until this voiceban is appealed. Of course, the player can choose to 

A) play on the server by typing - where EVERYTHING is logged, and a repeated offense would then be a ban

B) appeal their voiceban on the forums, where they will have to defend their use of racial/homophobic slurs

I would love to know if everybody would be onboard with this idea, because I currently have everything working, along with cross-server banning where if a player plays on their non-main server minging around, their actions can still affect them on their main server. We have seen this happen numerous times.

Ty!

Suggested tightening the rule overhaul you made a while ago to drp executives a bit ago thanks for hopefully making the rule stricter. I am completely for this

15 hours ago, Shin_Tsukimi said:

think darkrp we'd have to specify with having a bit more grace beforehand as well (as people talk more shit on there, and it's a bit more expected to be toxic than other servers) but I think all and all this could be a very good idea. 

The shit talk that people do should not go into the territory of homophobia or racism. If it does then its down right dumb that they are not punished.

I agree with @Lex_

• StarWarsRP Management Team

I agree with this as something to implement on the Garrys Mod servers (idk Rust so cant comment).

On the topic of a timer, that has been raised by comments, I'd actually rather we go with what Garnet initially said where they must submit an appeal. In my opinion if it was set to a timer, it would be no different to just a regular /mutevoice which most, if not all, Staff can already do. Ideally this would only be used for serious cases, as most people would take the verbal warning and presumably stop if they genuinely had no bad intent, and the decision would be up to an Admin+ not just any Staff on the server.

Also any appeals on the voice-ban can be treated differently to regular appeals. Voice-ban appeals, from what I understand from the post, would be based on the premise of 'why did you do it' and 'why should you be unvoice-banned' rather than the traditional 'is the punishment invalid/too harsh'. That would, at least, make them potentially easier to have removed providing someone was not attempting intentional racist/homophobic remarks, whilst giving them more weight than just a /mutevoice for 5 minutes or a warning.

• Agree 1

Great idea Mr. Garnet Gaming

One question I have is if this would applicable across all garnet servers. For example, if someone on DarkRP is voicebanned, and they come on TTT they would still be voicebanned. I imagine those who get voicebanned for racism/homophobia/toxicity are more thing likely to use the same hate speech on other GG servers, not just one. 

Thank you fish man for answering my question. 

Edited by Deft
On 1/8/2022 at 3:52 PM, Nutter said:

I would love to know if everybody would be onboard with this idea, because I currently have everything working, along with cross-server banning where if a player plays on their non-main server minging around, their actions can still affect them on their main server.

^

1 hour ago, Deft said:

One question I have is if this would applicable across all garnet servers.

• Agree 1

Here's what I'm thinkin: If you silence them, they will want to retaliate. If you publicly shame them, you raise the chances of eliminating the issue

Edit: I have dealt with the nasty deprived garrys mod under-world, the crowd that this would effect is also the most likely to come back later on an alt. I personally think there should be a "racism jail" or something of the sort in spawn where they are muted and jail for 10 minutes at a time, and when they leave you ban them for LTAP.

Edited by Pluto_
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1
2 hours ago, ImHomeless said:

I like this idea but does the voice ban have a timer ? Is it permanent or will it have a certain length to it.  If staff use /mutevoice and leave or forget to unmute who ever is muted is muted until they beg somebody to unmute.

This is a perma voice mute they must appeal on the forums about why they chose their choice of words and why the voice ban should be removed

I totally agree on the reasoning the one thing is, is that what happens after the mute then they appeal it gets accepted then they get muted again? will that be a ban or will that be another mute also what will happen after the 2 weeks of the warn will they just get another warn? or a mute?

On 1/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, Pluto_ said:

Edit: I have dealt with the nasty deprived garrys mod under-world, the crowd that this would effect is also the most likely to come back later on an alt. I personally think there should be a "racism jail" or something of the sort in spawn where they are muted and jail for 10 minutes at a time, and when they leave you ban them for LTAP.

If they come back on an alt, they get banned for ban evasion. They shouldn’t put themselves in a place to get server muted to begin with. 

• Like 1