DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Clock suggestion.

KoiFish

Description: I suggest that the server have a clock as part of the user interface, always displayed on the screen. Not sure what time zone it should be set to, that would be a decision for the management team. 

Reasoning: this would be extremely helpful for player reports when times/durations are a key point in proving rule violations. 
Example 1: let's say someone's raiding you, their raid timer is expired, and you want to report them for fail rp, the logs reset and you can not prove it however you have screenshots of when the raid started (showing the time on the handy dandy server clock, and screen shots showing the raid carrying on well past the allowed time) with this information you'd be able to prove to staff that the raider is breaking rules.

Example 2: lets say someone sold you printers and agreed to stay on for 4 hours in exchange for cash, however they left the server after 2 hours and you have no way to prove it. If there was a handy dandy server clock you could simply screenshot/video record the agreement (and its exact time), and later on record when the player disconnects (the clock serves the purpose of providing proof that the player didnt wait the 4 hours). Thus giving you the ability to prove the fail rp.

Example 3: lets say you've been reported for mass rdm and the player who's reported you is showing the staff member 3 different clips of you Rdming (assuming the logs have been reset) the admin could use the information displayed by the server clock to determine whether or not these cases of rdm have occurred within 5 minutes of eachother.

p.s. I dont think youre an rdmer this is just an example...

And there are many more examples...

Additional Information: I know some of my ideas are silly and not realistic to the server (though I'd love for them all to be added) but I truly believe this one is a realistic and necessary suggestion.

I know there are work arounds to prove timing if logs get reset (tabbing out in a video to see the time displayed on the desktop etc) but not everyone has the foresight to always tab out to prove times. Also a server clock would be way more convenient. 

Edited by KoiFish
11 hours ago, KoiFish said:

the admin could use the information displayed by the server clock to determine whether or not these cases of rdm have occurred within 5 minutes of eachother

Logs already have timestamps

Assuming this is a feature you can hide and show though whenever you want, I'd actually +1 this assuming it does not cause any server lag or instability. This seems like a quality of life thing for sure. Despite that though, if you need to check the time or something you can also just shift+tab to check your steams clock.

• DarkRP Administration Team

I actually used to have an time / date addon installed back in the days when some servers allowed client side scripts, and it was cool but not exactly necessary. The logs have timestamps anyway and it just adds more to the download without adding any real benefit to the average player. But I do get the idea and maybe an overlay could help?

Just now, ChrisRid said:

I actually used to have an time / date addon installed back in the days when some servers allowed client side scripts, and it was cool but not exactly necessary. The logs have timestamps anyway and it just adds more to the download without adding any real benefit to the average player. But I do get the idea and maybe an overlay could help?

it's very helpful is logs get reset which they often do

• Informative 2
21 hours ago, KoiFish said:

If the logs reset , what benefit will the clock really have to help you in a sit?

Just seems Like a Unnecessary Download for players In most cases

Going Neutral

Relying on Players to record and screenshot isn't something I'm too fond about it, 

Edited by IAreGunner
1 hour ago, IAreGunner said:

If the logs reset , what benefit will the clock really have to help you in a sit?

Just seems Like a Unnecessary Download for players In most cases

lets say someone sold you printers and agreed to stay on for 4 hours in exchange for cash, however they left the server after 2 hours and you have no way to prove it. If there was a handy dandy server clock you could simply screenshot/video record the agreement (and its exact time), and later on record when the player disconnects (the clock serves the purpose of providing proof that the player didnt wait the 4 hours). Thus giving you the ability to prove the fail rp.

lets say you've been reported for mass rdm and the player who's reported you is showing the staff member 3 different clips of you Rdming (assuming the logs have been reset) the admin could use the information displayed by the server clock to determine whether or not these cases of rdm have occurred within 5 minutes of each other.
let's say someone's raiding you, their raid timer is expired, and you want to report them for fail rp, the logs reset and you can not prove it however you have screenshots of when the raid started (showing the time on the handy dandy server clock, and screen shots showing the raid carrying on well past the allowed time) with this information you'd be able to prove to staff that the raider is breaking rules.

Edited by KoiFish
9 hours ago, IAreGunner said:

Relying on Players to record and screenshot isn't something I'm too fond about it, 

I wish there was a better way, but unfortunately people just say "he was in my base" and since we have no way to determine where anyone is we just gotta let them off.

I see the benefits to this suggestion, although I do remember a similar one turned down. Perhaps @KoiFish take a look around the workshop and try to find a good one that wont cause us issues. The smaller the addon the better usually. 

+1 

• DarkRP Administration Team
On 5/30/2022 at 8:14 AM, KoiFish said:

I do agree with this point in fairness, and while the logs have been recently extended and don't reset quite as often as they used to, it can be difficult when they do. I will also add that a clip without a timestamp is often enough in many situations, but with that said I can think of a few examples where it would be helpful.

10 hours ago, IAreGunner said:

Relying on Players to record and screenshot isn't something I'm too fond about

I do absolutely agree with this point though, I don't feel that playing on the server should require every player to record their gameplay. Remember that some people have limited storage, and even if they were to stream it to YouTube (or another site) their PC might not be quite as beefy as some of ours.

17 minutes ago, xFish said:

I see the benefits to this suggestion, although I do remember a similar one turned down. Perhaps @KoiFish take a look around the workshop and try to find a good one that wont cause us issues. The smaller the addon the better usually. 

As xFish said, perhaps find an example and see what the download and features might look like to get a better idea of exactly what impact it might have. 

I'm leaning more towards neutral now (being -1 before). The other point I would like to make is that if there was a timestamp, it should really be the same time zone as the logs. Having it the same as your own location will cause more confusion and issues that it's worth when using it as evidence in a sit, and can easily be changed too by simply changing the time on your PC. However if it was set to the time zone of the server then this could confuse and annoy others who will inevitably complain that the time is wrong.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ChrisRid said:

The other point I would like to make is that if there was a timestamp, it should really be the same time zone as the logs. Having it the same as your own location will cause more confusion and issues that it's worth when using it as evidence in a sit, and can easily be changed too by simply changing the time on your PC. However if it was set to the time zone of the server then this could confuse and annoy others who will inevitably complain that the time is wrong.

If this is added, this needs to be a thing.

• Agree 1
On 5/30/2022 at 10:31 PM, IAreGunner said:

I agree! in a perfect world players wouldn't have to record. Staff would have records of time and location where rules are broken and logs would never reset. However that's not the case. That being said players deserve the right to defend themselves and prevent people from getting away with breaking rules against them. a clock would be a helpful tool for that in certain situations. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, ChrisRid said:

Having it the same as your own location will cause more confusion and issues that it's worth when using it as evidence in a sit

I started to type something disagreeing with this, but then got the idea that someone could just change their timezone, wait for the game to register, then immediately have "proof" for punishment of whatever they'd want, (providing logs/overlapping evidence from reportee/staff are not available). Definitely need a central zone of time for this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...