DarkRP Rules Updated (4/28/2024) ×

Buff Mugging

• DarkRP Administration Team
      Currently one of the, arguably most important, mugging rules is that "You may mug someone for 100 times their level" as the absolute
maximum amount. What I am proposing is changing this rule to allow mugging up to 1000 times their level. As it stands there is rarely any
reason to just not drop the money. For example, if you're a level 50 running around the server with full perks and a few guns on you, chances are you're
not going to risk getting shot and losing all of the stock you've put into your player. Especially if all they can mug you for is $5,000.
I really don't see why you shouldn't be able to mug a level 20 for $20,200 or a level 100 for $100,000. With how rich players get on the
server, making the mug 1,000 times the players level seems like it would fit much better.

My second point of reason, and what I believe to be a much more compelling argument, is that currently mugging is primarily used as an excuse to RDM
people. Most people who are mugging are low level players who either self supply as a Gun Dealer and switch to a Thief, or log on with a friend who supplies
their guns so they can run around mugging people. Mugging really isn't used by the majority of the consistently active player-base. I believe that's due to
mugging being high-risk/low-reward. Low level player's mug strictly to RDM, they don't care about actually gaining any profit from it. High level players 
have little reason to Mug. Why risk losing anything over the small profit you'd get out of it? Changing mugging to allow for 1,000 times the players level gives 
incentive for higher level players to use the mechanic. It would make it worth the risk of losing perks or weapons. It would also make it worth it for the 
player being mugged to counter. Currently countering the mug doesn't make a whole lot of sense since at the absolute worst you're losing $10,000 if you are level 

I think this is more than enough reason to allow players to mug for 1,000 times another players level. The Mug mechanic is such a cool idea that unfortunately
never gets any usage, at least in my opinion. 

TLDR: TYPE +1 FOR THE SERVER TO IMPROVE INSTANTLY!!!!!!! (real)

Edited by hooboododoMartian
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Neutral

While I like the idea on face value given that 10k isn't a lot of money for a level 100 player as it currently stands, if the rules were to change to x1000 then while a level 100 might be able to afford 100k, it's unlikely that a level 10 player can afford to loose 10k and so I believe that the number of un-countered mugs would drop dramatically which might not be great from a RP perspective.

Combine that with the fact that often players will weigh up the price of perks vs handing the money over, and given that (worst case) 10k is cheaper than a set of perks, it seems reasonable to hand over the cash quite often. If that figure was 100k however, then it's always worth a shot at countering every time you get mugged from a strictly financial perspective.

So while I'm not against the idea, I think it's worth considering whether lower level players can actually afford to play along and also whether the risk/reward will stop successful muggings entirely if the reward is too high.

Edit:

Just as a counter-suggestion, what if prestige levels were taken into account instead? So for each prestige, 100k was added to the total? This way it wont negatively impact lower-level players, while also offering a higher reward for mugging higher-level players who tend to have a lot more money? As a list of examples:

Level 10 Prestige 0 - $1000
Level 63 Prestige 0 - $6300
Level 10 Prestige 1 - $101,000
Level 63 Prestige 1 - $106,300
Level 10 Prestige 2 - $201,000
Level 63 Prestige 2 - $206,300
Level 44 Prestige 4 - $404,400 (If you mug me at my current level)

Edited by ChrisRid
Had an idea
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 2
  • Disagree 1
13 hours ago, hooboododoMartian said:

TLDR: TYPE +1 FOR THE SERVER TO IMPROVE INSTANTLY!!!!!!! (real)

Well if you say so...

But really, I'm neutral on this. The mug mechanic amount is pretty fine as is, it's just one of those things that you see less than others. Increasing the amount mugged by people won't increase the likelyhood that they'll pay up, it just means that they'd be more likely to shoot you. I'm level 99 as of writing this, so you BEST BELIEVE if some thief comes up to me and tries to mug me for $99,000 I will be fighting back. Perks cost less than that.

• Like 1
  • The Garnut
3 hours ago, ChrisRid said:

Just as a counter-suggestion, what if prestige levels were taken into account instead? So for each prestige, 100k was added to the total? This way it wont negatively impact lower-level players, while also offering a higher reward for mugging higher-level players who tend to have a lot more money? As a list of examples:

Level 10 Prestige 0 - $1000
Level 63 Prestige 0 - $6300
Level 10 Prestige 1 - $101,000
Level 63 Prestige 1 - $106,300
Level 10 Prestige 2 - $201,000
Level 63 Prestige 2 - $206,300
Level 44 Prestige 4 - $404,400 (If you mug me at my current level)

This is a pretty damn good idea, I can build off of this and propose this..

you utilize the command /mug while looking at a player, and it'll automatically print

[Mug] Garnet is mugging ChrisRid for $83,100

(amount inserted automatically for a theoretical prestige 8, level 31)

Chris will then be presented for a UI reading "drop the amount" or "refuse"

Both options will print to chat,

[Mug] ChrisRid has been mugged by Garnet for $83,100

OR

[Mug] ChrisRid has refused to pay Garnet's desired mug amount, fight!

This will obviously need to carry a cooldown of 5-10 minutes, and be allocated for players in spawn/AFK

Edited by Nutter
edited typo "ideas" for a single idea
  • Like 1
  • 300 IQ 2
  • Agree 4
19 minutes ago, Nutter said:

This is a pretty damn good ideas, I can build off of this and propose this..

you utilize the command /mug while looking at a player, and it'll automatically print

OR

This will obviously need to carry a cooldown of 5-10 minutes, and be allocated for players in spawn/AFK

I really like this spin on it.

+1 for Chris/Nutter's suggestion on my suggestion

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Nutter said:

This is a fantastic idea for a mug system! The best part being we don't have 10 seconds to do basic mental arithmetic lmao 😂 

This would make things 10x easier for both parties, plus it means that higher-level players can be mugged for larger sums of money (in terms of this suggestion) while lower level players still only have to pay the standard amount that currently stands.

+1 for this idea

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, Nutter said:

OR

-1 I mug people to kill them not for money :(

• Cringe 2
1 minute ago, Shizzle said:

Bc I had a „move and die“ bind so people didn’t 100% know it was them

You still have to wait out the 10 seconds mate, even if they run. If they give you the money in that time you can't kill them 👍

on23qdT.png

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

-1 to OP and to Chris's counter-suggestion

I already have a hard enough time trying to come on and RP as it is being Prestige 20. If I try to RP with some new players, before I can even say anything "OMG PRESTIGE 20 HEY BRO CAN I HAVE SOME MONEY" etc. etc. etc....

A perpetual 200K target on my head won't help.

I can see people who aren't highly prestiged +1ing this suggestion. I got to my level back when Prestiging got you nothing. No hats, no points, nothing.
If I could go back and never prestige I would. I would rather be able to hide prestige levels than be worth 200K+ to any thief who sees me.

So for the people who are +1ing this, consider that his is how much currency costs in the store:

QGM5HQx.png

If I saw someone walking around that was worth 8$, I would nonstop be trying to mug that person. I don't think this is a good idea overall. This is just a punishment for progression.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
5 hours ago, Nutter said:

OR

+1 I like this idea a lot.

1 hour ago, ShankNinja said:

-1 to OP and to Chris's counter-suggestion

I already have a hard enough time trying to come on and RP as it is being Prestige 20. If I try to RP with some new players, before I can even say anything "OMG PRESTIGE 20 HEY BRO CAN I HAVE SOME MONEY" etc. etc. etc....

A perpetual 200K target on my head won't help.

I can see people who aren't highly prestiged +1ing this suggestion. I got to my level back when Prestiging got you nothing. No hats, no points, nothing.
If I could go back and never prestige I would. I would rather be able to hide prestige levels than be worth 200K+ to any thief who sees me.

So for the people who are +1ing this, consider that his is how much currency costs in the store:

QGM5HQx.png

If I saw someone walking around that was worth 8$, I would nonstop be trying to mug that person. I don't think this is a good idea overall. This is just a punishment for progression.

Although people do beg for money (Which isn't ever going to go away) I would rather lose 30k worth of perks than 3-400k, that is if they can kill you assuming they're low levels who don't have good guns or perks in general.  It still definitely adds something more than just a legal RDM  and would help low levels progress and able to play more of the server.

One question is what happens if you mug a Prestige player or any player in general and they don't have the funds? Would the command tell the mugger that it's not possible to mug or be invalid to mug the player? 

• Like 1